Why become a member? ×

Overused chord sequences and artistic merit

arthurhenry

How is it that songs with chord sequences such as I, V, IV and I, V, VI, IV continue to be written and recorded? Surely any songwriter or artist with any integrity or artistic worth would avoid such overused, over-familiar changes in favour of something less cliched.

Edited by arthurhenry

Guest bassman7755

The vast majority of songs that have achieved classic status have used fairly mundane chord progressions, I suppose theres a good reason for that.

So, I think the opposite of what you say is true - those with real song writing talent don't need to use obscure chords/progressions (they may choose to do so but its not a prerequisite).

Edited by bassman7755

What "makes" the music good, isn't necessarily the chord progressions, but the way the instruments and other sounds play together over those chords. For example, listen to some of the Tom Tom Club stuff, they deliberately stayed away from complex chord progressions, some songs only having one or two chords - yet the sound is brilliant and has earned them popular acclaim and success.

V --> I works for fairly obvious reasons once you know your music theory.

I guess its the same as painting. Here is a picture of a face - can you do something with it that makes it fresh.

Chord sequences are only a part of the deal. The arrangement, timbres, vioces, melody, rhythm etc etc will all conspire to create a whole that is greater thatn the sum of it's parts. THAT is the Art of it. Being original is, in some ways, easier than sounding fresh using old material.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1478953847' post='3172915']
For me, instantly recognising a familiar chord sequence takes away from the effect of the lyrics and melody. If I wrote something which fitted a I, V, VI, IV progression, I'd scrap it, as I couldn't bear to be that predictable.
[/quote]

Do you have any examples of this wonderfully unique & original music made only by you that you can share with us?

:)

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1478953847' post='3172915']For me, instantly recognising a familiar chord sequence takes away from the effect of the lyrics and melody.[/quote]

If people were worried about the chord sequences you've used then you haven't written a very good song.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1478953847' post='3172915']
For me, instantly recognising a familiar chord sequence takes away from the effect of the lyrics and melody. If I wrote something which fitted a I, V, VI, IV progression, I'd scrap it, as I couldn't bear to be that predictable.
[/quote]

That's fine if you're writing music for people to stroke their beards to. But most people who listen to and enjoy music don't even know what a chord progression is.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1478951616' post='3172892']
I guess its the same as painting. Here is a picture of a face - can you do something with it that makes it fresh.

Chord sequences are only a part of the deal. The arrangement, timbres, vioces, melody, rhythm etc etc will all conspire to create a whole that is greater thatn the sum of it's parts. THAT is the Art of it. Being original is, in some ways, easier than sounding fresh using old material.
[/quote]

Eloquently put.

The underlying chords are just a vehicle for the melody/riff/hook that makes a good song - at least they do in Western music. There are of course exceptions, but the majority of pop and rock songs will have some sort of chord sequence and usually familiar ones as they "work"

It's not the chord changes or sequences giving you a headache. The Melody is dictating where they go,
the chords are just harmonising.
Want a better, more interesting chord sequence? Write a better, more interesting Melody.
Not so easy now, is it?
:)

Good luck with it, it is difficult.

EDIT: Bilbo makes a couple of good points in his post.

Edited by lowdown

I IV V VI chords are the basis for a massive percentage of contemporary music. I'm currently learning a set of pop covers for a dep gig and its amazing how many actually break down to basically these 4 chords. I wouldnt say its a bad thing; I think they just work nicely together, and they sound/feel right. For me, its what people do over the chords that make it stand out.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1478964880' post='3173023']
A great songwriter can make the simplest, off the shelf, chord structure, into a great song.
[/quote]

This.

When I'm listening to songs I love I'm not even aware of the chord structure.
I'm always surprised by just how simple lots of my favourite songs are when I try & learn them on guitar.

A great songwriter can make the simplest, off the shelf, chord structure, into a great song.
[/quote]

Completely true, however, some songwriters take the most overused, off the shelf chord structures and turn them into dull, formulaic fodder for the masses.

Why write a song at all?

If you have something to say and you want others to hear it then deliberately challenging them with unusual sounds makes no sense. Most music is about shared experiences, ideas, or just good old entertainment. It's for the many not the few. If you want to have a musical conversation limited to other musicians then fine, they may well get what you are saying but it is going to be music about music only. Nothing wrong with that, but not for me thanks.

Looked at another way you have 8 notes in your scale, 2,3,4,5......16 beats to the bar, rests, key changes, verse, chorus pre-chorus, bridge, coda, fills, turnarounds, chord inversions...... That all gives you a few lifetimes of non-repetition even with four chords.

For me modern classical music has lost it's way a little in comparison, the urge to try the new and different means a lot of more recent 'serious' music comes across as academic exercise and possibly elitist. Lacking mass appeal it has ossified, lacking the freshness of popular music even though the palette is more limited. The back catalogue is pretty good though.

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1478940772' post='3172801']
How is it that songs with chord sequences such as I, V, IV and I, V, VI, IV continue to be written and recorded? Surely any songwriter or artist with any integrity or artistic worth would avoid such overused, over-familiar changes in favour of something less cliched.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1478969529' post='3173059']
Completely true, however, some songwriters take the most overused, off the shelf chord structures and turn them into dull, formulaic fodder for the masses.
[/quote]
Which is somewhat different to your initial post. Artists with integrity and artistic worth will continue to make great songs from the simplest of chord structures.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1478969529' post='3173059']
[/quote]

And some songwriters take the most convoluted, left-field chord structures and turn them into dull, formulaic fodder for the elite. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1478976712' post='3173120']
I blame the consumers. If only they were better musically educated they wouldn't be misusing their buying power to strangle creativity.

The bastards.
[/quote]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1478976074' post='3173113']
And some songwriters take the most convoluted, left-field chord structures and turn them into dull, formulaic fodder for the elite. :mellow:
[/quote]

That's more like it.
:lol: :lol: