Why become a member? ×

I do not need a P-bass, do I?

Guest MoJo

I have severe P-bass GAS at the moment after hearing someone playing an MIM Precision on Tuesday and thinking to myself, "That's it, that's the tone I'm after". The thing is, I've owned countless P-basses in the past, US, MIM, CIJ, Squiers, Vintage, Westfield, the list goes on and every one has been sold or traded, so I'm clearly not happy with something about P-basses. I'm trying to ride it out until the GAS passes but I'm weakening. Does anyone else convince themselves that they need something after having heard someone else using one or am I unique?

I don't actually need a P bass at this point, I'm only playing in one originals band and I always pick up the Wal by default, but i like having one around.

Whenever I don't have a P bass in the stable it feels like something is missing :blink:

I do often pick it up for a noodle though and would take it to a studio session just to give me another option. I love the sound with flats played with a pick :)

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1476341401' post='3153395']
I have severe P-bass GAS at the moment after hearing someone playing an MIM Precision on Tuesday and thinking to myself, "That's it, that's the tone I'm after". The thing is, I've owned countless P-basses in the past, US, MIM, CIJ, Squiers, Vintage, Westfield, the list goes on and every one has been sold or traded, so I'm clearly not happy with something about P-basses. I'm trying to ride it out until the GAS passes but I'm weakening. Does anyone else convince themselves that they need something after having heard someone else using one or am I unique?
[/quote]

You sound like me 3-4 years ago.
I now have 2 Precisions and a P/JJ.

I never liked them, owned a few over the years that just didn't get used and were sold. But suddenly I heard something that sounded great ("Forget me nots") and sounded like a Precision. Then I started paying more attention, and I realised that I wasn't in love with the sound of it alone, but in a band context it was often a really good sound. Then I just had to find a bass that felt good, and I found that on the Fender Classic 50s Precision (on my avatar). It feels and sounds great. I still use mostly a Stingray, but for a while I used that Precision constantly. If you find a good Precision, it just seems to go with anything.

Go and explore, and find that Precision that speaks to you :)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1476341401' post='3153395']
[/quote]I've always loved the sound/tone of a P bass and had two when I first started about ten years ago, but I sold them on because I just couldn't get on with the necks, I then played Jazzes and Ibanez SR's because of the slim necks, and they were fine in the function band I was in at the time, but when I left to start a rock band something was missing soundwise, so I then went out and got myself an American Standard Precision, and at the next rehearsal, it was there, that tone!

But, I still struggled with the neck, but I wanted that P tone so what could I do? then suddenly it hit me, I love the feel of the Jazz neck but not the tone, so I took a chance and purchased a Mighty Mite Jazz neck on eBay, put in on my P and hey! I was there, for me, I had the perfect bass.

I know a lot of players love the P neck, but a lot of people don't, so maybe its the neck that's the problem, I've had the neck on my bass for at least seven years now, and it is one of the best necks I've played, and if I do come to sell the bass, all I have to do is put the original neck back on which should help with the sale, because it is a completely unplayed neck with no wear whatsoever, and I can always include the Jazz neck as well.

I never really wanted one of them, but I borrowed a Squier P when my bass gave up at a practice. It souunded great and from that moment on I was hooked. I now own a US special and a Chinese Squier 70s reissue, both of which have the sound but slimmer necks. I traded in my old bass for the Squier and am now an all P player

Changing the neck is always an option. I put a status-graphite J neck on a Precision once. The p neck didn't bother me, but I wanted fretless. The result was great (until I discovered fretless Warwicks). If I can fit a neck like that, anyone can.

I think it depends on whether you mostly play alone or in a band. I have both types of basses ( ;) ) and the Jazz sounds better if I'm just flexing the fingers at home, but in a band context, if I take the Jazz I always just get as close to a P sound as I can, and then miss the edge that the P gives me.

I currently have 4 Ps and 2 Js, but and looking to cut back to 2 Ps and 1 Jazz.

Depends what you're using it for I guess. Nothing quite sits in a rock n roll mix like a Precision to my ears. Probably because I've tuned my ears into that sound since I starrted listening to music.
I'm really enjoying playing away with a Warwick Starbass in the current band but when it comes to recording it'll be the Precision getting plugged in.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1476350407' post='3153465']
I think it depends on whether you mostly play alone or in a band. I have both types of basses ( ;) ) and the Jazz sounds better if I'm just flexing the fingers at home, but in a band context, if I take the Jazz I always just get as close to a P sound as I can, and then miss the edge that the P gives me.

I currently have 4 Ps and 2 Js, but and looking to cut back to 2 Ps and 1 Jazz.
[/quote]

I feel exactly the same. I love the sound of my VM Squier Jazz 77 with both pickups on full and the tone wide open, but when I'm playing with the band, I find it gets lost in the mix and end up soloing the neck pickup in an attempt to get close to a P-bass. As Roy Walker used to say, "It's good, but it's not right".

I am exactly the same, I have serious P bass GAS most of the time, but I have owned a few now and I just cannot get on with them for all of the music that I play. Superb for soul and rock type stuff but I just cannot get on with the feel and sound when I need to play a lot of disco funky type stuff.

Now I know you can play any type of music on any bass, but I miss that bridge pickup to mix in with the P pickup to get a tighter sound for a lot of what I play. A PJ is probably my ideal bass but I cant find one I like that wouldn't require me to mod it. In a perfect world I basically want a Pino Signature with a bridge pickup.....sorted!

I also struggle with my right hand position on precisions, I don't like playing over the pickup for a lot of songs because I don't like the slack feel of the strings there, I guess I don't get the attack I want.

Maybe you don't like how [i]you[/i] sound on a P bass ?

I was talking to a friend a coupe of days ago. He loves jazz basses, I always sound rubbish on them.

You were hearing another guy play one remember, you liked how [i]he[/i] sounded on it.

:)

Edited by ambient

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1476342176' post='3153399']
....... I always pick up the Wal by default, but i like having one around.

Whenever I don't have a P bass in the stable it feels like something is missing :blink:
[/quote]

Yes, definitely. I was "off" Fenders in general, and P basses for such a long time. I had tried many other basses, brands, types, pickup arrangements, hardwear etc etc - but then I saw the light once more, and now wouldn't be without a P bass in the stable. As others say, they just sit right in the mix. A good one which sounds & feels great is very satisfying to play, and even just own....

For me too, having had basses with lots of tonal controls, and knobs & switches everywhere, I love the simplicity of the controls. It seems I always get the sound I want or expect from a P bass, whereas, with some other basses, I was wont to fiddle around with the controls.

I own 3 P basses. A Squier Classic Vibe (now P/J'ed), a Roadworn (Also now P/J'ed) and a Fretless. I love them all. I don't actually need both the Squier CV and the RW - but I can't bear to part with either of them :) Also, you owned quite a few P's, but I do like the option of having the additional J pickup there too. Perhaps you need a P/J ??

If you haven't tried a Squier Classic Vibe - I'd really recommend trying one! They are cracking basses, and well worth more than the current second-hand value - so give one a go (and maybe get this one P/J'ed, so you're tempted to keep it)

I reckon ambient's right. It's very personal to the player. I love Jazz basses and have been playing one for 30+ years. Only recently got into P's, via building a bitsa out of odds and sods I picked up on eBay. Took me a while to learn how to use it - I find you must play it gently to get the best out of it. It has quite a limited tonal palette, but for certain styles, it's just right Why not build one? Only 35 screws holding the whole thing together and the soldering/circuitry is about as simple as it gets.

Ask a friend to loan you a P for a rehearsall and a gig. Then you'll know if it's the tone you're after or not and can safely spend or save your money.

I don't need a P bass, never did and probably never will. I still own my first bass (a P copy), it's not versatile enough to be taken to a gig. In my sales/trades i've got to own 3 or 4 P's, as easy as they came they all went out the door. Not my sound/tone.

nobody [i]needs [/i]a P bass, but they are a sort of right-of-passage.

With a P, you are not buying a bass, you are buying the rock n roll dream, and Fender's history and heritage.

Regardless of what is played now, most people seem to have had one.

Probably just due to the ubiquity of the instrument though.

That tone happens to work very well in the context that I'm working in so I'm using a P for 90% of current set, there are a few songs in changed keys so I also have a detuned jazz for those and to act as backup. The jazz is the S1 model so I use that engaged to get a more P-ish sound anyway. You don't specifically need a P bass though, most solid body electric basses with that type of pickup in th ecorrect position will give a broadly P bass sound in a live band context.

I think the problem with all this is P's are way more demanding of finger tip control than near any other bass.....get it right and they can sound amazing......get it wrong and they sound like mud..indistinct and awful.
I play old dead, heavy flats with a light touch, couldnt be happier, fantastic hefty, middly tone which oddly enough seems to cover just about everything bar slap of course.

Edited by ians

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1476352153' post='3153495']
Maybe you don't like how [i]you[/i] sound on a P bass ?

I was talking to a friend a coupe of days ago. He loves jazz basses, I always sound rubbish on them.

You were hearing another guy play one remember, you liked how [i]he[/i] sounded on it.

:)
[/quote]

This is what I was thinking. It must be the way he plays, because no Precision I've ever owned sounded as nice

Have you considered building one of your own? There are plenty of necks and bodies available on Evilbay without the need to spend large sums of money, I put one together recently for less than £200 with a Seymour Duncan pickup, decent hardware and electrics, it has no real value as a complete instrument meaning it is easy to justify having about as a practice / backup bass.

Mine is actually a perfectly gigable bass after a little simple setting up