Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

1 hour ago, admiralchew said:

It’s just meant to add transformer saturation to the tone. I’m yet to play with it too much but I think it likes being zapped with a decent amount of gain from the pedal before. I use a compressor with a transformer as part of my desktop set up so, as part of trying to replicate some of that sound in miniature, I thought I would try a transformer in line on this board after the compressor.

ah cool. I have a colour box that gives the transformer sound.... I can't describe what it sounds like, but I can tell when it's not there!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Richy Titchy Pedalboard v2.0 currently in progress... the wood is assembled but I can't decide whether to go with black paint or just varnish. It's only scrappy bits of pine so TBH I'm leaning towards black. I wish I'd had some nice scrap wood to hand, a mahogany pedalboard would have been really cool.

pedal board v2.0 wood.jpg

Just polish it real hard, make sure the screws don’t come above the wood, put on two coats of water-based varnish and add some velcro ( red one?)…. Job done. Don’t go for black, let it sing in wood-colours. That’s how I made my pedalboard. Pics on demand. Grtz, Marc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's my new wee setup.

I use the stomp for pretty much everything, with the EBS as a light comp going into it- really tames the FX down later in the chain despite it not seeming to do a lot on its own. This goes currently into an SY1 . It's up for sale as it's not the sound I'm looking for - although for more paddy type synths its great, and the tracking is incredible.  . I like to keep within one patch on the stomp and basically use the 5 switches as individual stomps.  I've also tried to keep it non bass specific so that I can use the same setup on guitar gigs. My 'bass dep' set up is 1:octave 2:filter 3:chorus 4:tuner 5: swell/delay. 

The dual footswitch and accompanying TRS cable was custom made by my mate big Dan, at Brennan Effects.

Underneath is an Harley benton ISO-1AC which happily handles the stomp with a current doubler cable. I chose this as it fits the nano+ almost perfectly- it's tight, and you really need to use the right angled dc cables but works. That leaves 3 x 9v@500ma connectors which is plenty, given the size of the board.  It also uses a kettle plug so one less thing to worry about forgetting/breaking as kettle plugs are abundant!

I've also stuck a passive DI box under there.. its not plugged in in the photos, but that unused jack patch lead would get plugged into the output of the stomp for bass gigs. I know the HX stomp is balanced and unbalanced but the XLR output is very handy on dep gigs. 

I've also put wee feet on the nano+ raising it about 0.6cm. That's for the DI box, I think the power bank would fit without them. Still feels good to stomp on it though, and theres no slide. 

Next job is to make a dc cable with both ends right angle for the sy1, like I've done for the EBS comp.- makes it a little more compact.  And I'll probably be trying a c4 next in place of the sy1.  Apart from that, this will do everything i need on bass and guitar!

2NT03984.jpg

2NT03988.jpg

2NT03989.jpg

2NT03990.jpg

• Like 7

Nice board! C4 is great but… without midi control you’re limited to 6 sounds (with a press of the Alt button). Adding midi control requires a controller (guess the stomp can do that) AND something to provide the C4 with Host (which I don’t think the Stomp can do). SA are supposed to be (soon-ish) releasing a 5 pin DIN to TRRS cable which is supposed to allow Host connection.

Just worth bearing in mind!

16 hours ago, hemdee666 said:

Just polish it real hard, make sure the screws don’t come above the wood, put on two coats of water-based varnish and add some velcro ( red one?)…. Job done. Don’t go for black, let it sing in wood-colours. That’s how I made my pedalboard. Pics on demand. Grtz, Marc. 

OK, I'm thinking I'll go for black, the wood's really not nice enough to show off... but as I'm in a ska band, a bit of the old B&W is in order. So I'm going to make the top look a bit like this:

olde-english-ennerdale-35-black-white-floor-tiles-p4465-85144_medium.jpg.0b26b84d824569d6c1470ad2a74fa98a.jpg

Yup, that's going to be a lot of squares of masking tape, but it should look cool if I can make it work!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Yup, that's going to be a lot of squares of masking tape, but it should look cool if I can make it work!

Can't you just use twotone sheeting, like this sort of thing https://www.amazon.co.uk/d-c-fix®-Sticky-Plastic-adhesive-346-0356/dp/B005DKTGOI/?tag=googshopuk-21&hvadid=309889582779&hvpos=&hvrand=494127037676983566

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

How are you finding the v2 Bass driver Dan? 

It Litterally only arrived today so im getting my head around it atm... So far it plays with the B7k wonderfully. Quick impressions are im liking it way better than The original or the VTDI ive had.

Ill hold full feelings until ive had a nice loud band jam

Edited by danbowskill
  • Thanks 1

Richy Titchy board v2.0 now assembled and just a few power lines to run.The 'STFucupcakes' pedal is my new mute switch, the Zoom now sits in a loop for hopefuly reduced tapdancing, and the BDI21 is there mainly as a just-in-case.

Once it's all fired up and working, I can disassemble and paint. Definitely going to look into the idea of self adhesive checkerboard film as per Woody's suggestion.

PSX_20221101_124824.jpg

• Like 4

On 29/10/2022 at 17:08, danbowskill said:

Sort it out Ashdown n reissue the hyperdrive in a small package... Please 😁

IMG_20221029_122340_edit_9420593620436.thumb.jpg.f7eb8eb661d4e18b3d6a2b7a3a70f046.jpg

It really is stupidly big. When you look at the circuit, it could easily be made to fit in a BB. Probably even a B.

On 01/11/2022 at 12:48, Rich said:

Richy Titchy board v2.0 now assembled and just a few power lines to run.The 'STFucupcakes' pedal is my new mute switch, the Zoom now sits in a loop for hopefuly reduced tapdancing, and the BDI21 is there mainly as a just-in-case.

Once it's all fired up and working, I can disassemble and paint. Definitely going to look into the idea of self adhesive checkerboard film as per Woody's suggestion.

All wired up and working now. Woohoo! :)  The red LED between the Behringer and the Zoom is the tell-tale from the power distribution box underneath.

137709278_pedalboard2.jpg.a014385707f4aa2e4dd10c34786abe42.jpg

• Like 4

Updated board with the Corona chorus gifted by the estimable @Merton. I have space, a power cable and a patch lead left for one more, which may end up being an inexpensive octaver. If I get any pedals for Chrimbo I will have to buy a bigger board and better power solution. What a nuisance that would be... 🤣

PXL_20221102_141548692.jpg

• Like 4

On 01/11/2022 at 14:41, Rich said:

It really is stupidly big. When you look at the circuit, it could easily be made to fit in a BB. Probably even a B.

I opened mine up the other day for a look. The entire section below the knobs could be cut off, the only thing in it is the switch!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rich said:

All wired up and working now. Woohoo! :)  The red LED between the Behringer and the Zoom is the tell-tale from the power distribution box underneath.

Tried it at rehearsal last night, HUGE hum when I plugged it in to the house rig. Turns out the rehearsal room's sockets don't like my 9v wall wart :lol: I quite like the sounds from the BDI21, I think I'll be using it more than I'd anticipated.

3 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I opened mine up the other day for a look. The entire section below the knobs could be cut off, the only thing in it is the switch!

Ludicrous isn't it? All so they can get the daft VU onto it. The size is the only thing stopping me from trying one.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Tried it at rehearsal last night, HUGE hum when I plugged it in to the house rig. Turns out the rehearsal room's sockets don't like my 9v wall wart :lol: I quite like the sounds from the BDI21, I think I'll be using it more than I'd anticipated.

I had a similar problem. Even through an isolated power supply (albeit a cheap one). Someone/ several people on here suggested a little power conditioner and that sorted it right out. Well worth 25 quid and adds another led to the undercarriage light show! 🤣

Some more tweaks, and some groovy led effects in the photo!

20221103_213345.thumb.jpg.1e39b9e99cfdec21fd0298e0d600ccbc.jpg

Signal path is:-

Super Symmetry to ABY A out to B3k to a mini mixer underneath. ABY B out to Poly Blue Octave to Heffalump to mini mixer.

Mixer to Le Bass to amp.

V Express Expression pedal A/Bs the Octave, Digitech goes to a TC Electronic amp with 2 Tone Prints. The mini tuner runs off the Thru out of the Le Bass and stays on.

Pretty happy with it - can do clean, various levels of drive, fat synthy octaved fuzz and whatever one desires from the Tone Prints. Currently have a couple of different flavours of chorus. 

• Like 3

After owning literally 100s of Pedals this is my current pedalboard! 

20221105_102412.thumb.jpg.478db220dd48c62719e32074bed5e6a3.jpg

Obviously most individual pedals are better at their individual jobs, but most individual pedals on their own cost more than the Zoom, and played through an amp & cab competing with a band of other musicians it is difficult to hear much difference.

All things considered for home practice and band practice this is convenient and sounds fine - fits in gig bag and runs off batteries, aux in, drum loops, looper, overdrive, effects (and option to quickly re-order them), eq, comp, tuner. Cheap but reasonably tough and reliable enough. 

My biggest issues with it are how difficult it is to see what the logos of effects represent in stomp mode - this photo is roughly what it looks like stood over it. It needs something like a big 'O' for overdrive, 'C' for chorus etc. And as with most multi fx it isn't obvious how the parameters of each effect are set without a bit of button pressing. Those two things mean there is potential for mistakes that are less likely with individual pedals.  It's mostly for those reasons that I'd prefer a more surefire individual pedal setup for live stuff. 

If I had the spare £ and didn't mind dealing with the bulk/transport hassles this is the full pedalboard I'd want (I have owned almost all of these at some point):

• Board: Gator G-Tour Large £190
  • Power: Strymon Zuma £240
  • Tuner: D'Addario £60
  • Octave: Aguilar Octamizer £120
  • Phaser/Flanger/Chorus: Source Audio Gemini £150
  • Synth: Source Audio C4 £270 + Disaster Area Micro controller £150
  • Preamp/Overdrive - Distortion: Creation Audio Grizzly Bass £200
  • Preamp: One Control Crimson Red £110
  • Fuzz: MXR Brown Acid £130
  • Envelope Filters: MXR M82 £110 & Moog MF 101 £300
  • Compressor: Cali 76 £270
  • Delay & Reverb: Boss RE 202 £330
  • Switcher: Boss ES 5 £420
  • Looper/Drums: Boss RC 5 £200
  • EQ/DI: Tech 21 Q-Strip £300
  • .........nothing particularaly exotic there, but total cost (new) = £3,440 vs £65 for the Zoom B1-Four which does an alright aproximation of most of those pedals so the Zoom wins for the time being.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1