Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

4 hours ago, pantherairsoft said:

It's been over twelve months since I posted my board so I thought an update was due.

There have been a couple of small changes, but the core remains the same. Main shifts: Darkglass is gone (forever - there was always something 'lacking' with the DG pedals for me) and the SA Aftershock rocks. I upgraded my modulation hub from the Terraform to a Synesthesia, replaced a Nemesis Delay with a second Collider (allowing me stack 4 delays or 4 reverbs or any combination as needed) and my 'spare slot' changed from the Matryoshka to the Fwonkbeta. Though the Fwonk plays very well with the dirt section for some synth tones, it's a bit too 'funk' and the filters in the Synesthesia do a decent job for synthy tones as well, so I'm considering replacing this for something else in the same enclosure width - not sure what yet.

Signal chain for those that like that kind of thing...

Input -> Boss OC-5 Octave ->

Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler ->

Source Audio Aftershock ->

Red Panda Bitmap 2 ->

Mr. Black Fwonkbeta ->

GFI System Synesthesia ->

Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe (+ Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal) ->

Digitech Whammy Ricochet ->

Source Audio Collider Delay + Reverb (1) ->

Source Audio Collider Delay + Reverb (2) ->

TC Electronics Polytune 2 Mini -> Output

Everything is powered by a Cioks DC7 (which hasn't even hit the 40% load light yet - what a power supply!) and cabled with EBS gold flat patch cables. All mounted to a Pedaltrain Classic2.

IMG_5820.jpg

IMG_5821.jpg

IMG_5825.jpg

What are you using the Moog expression pedal for?

9 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

What are you using the Moog expression pedal for?

For the Xerograph. I don’t use that pedal as an ‘envelope filter’, I use it as a sweepable low pass filter. The pedal lets me sweep from full signal to deep sub, filtering out the rest of the signal as I sweep it.

It allows for lots of synth swells and resonant textures.

• Like 3

… for when space is tight on a gig …

A98AEF66-EB84-433C-8DDA-54F321E34D7F.thumb.jpeg.e2e535d02e05f3816385225fe42f13fc.jpeg

R to L signal, Korg Pitchblack Mini - Xotic SP compressor - Markbass Raw Octave - Sfx Micro Black Dragon - TC Electronic Corona Chorus mini - Aguilar DB 925 preamp. All powered by a 6 way daisy chain and a 1 Spot (but have the option of a Volto) and mounted on a Pedaltrain Nano.

I use this in a Motown/Soul/Funk band I gig with when space is at a premium (lol, most gigs so far!). The compressor is always on, use the Octave when playing Superstition in C (singers!) and a combo of octave, dirt and chorus for a synth effect when playing Mercy.

The Aguilar is a new addition so not sure if it’ll be an always on kinda thing to fatten the tone somewhat (but I could do that with the amp EQ) or for the infrequent times I get to ‘stand out’ for a few bars ha ha.

Edited by jimbobothy
Additional info.
  • Like 7

On 23/08/2022 at 16:47, thisisswanbon said:

Great board! Do you find the ultra wave and aftershock, and ultrawave and C4 overlap?

there were always a few sounds from the original soundblox multiwave that I missed and the ultra wave gets pretty close to what I'm hearing between my ears.  

there's definately overlap with the 3 SA though. the aftershock is more your classic distortion/ overdrive while the ultra creates different pallette of textures. depending on the gig will depend on what comes out with me.

the C4 I leave purely for synthy stuff. for me it doesn't come close to the classic  OC2/5 or  subdecay ring mod, xerograph etc. i like the flexibility of beable to tweek pedals on the fly rather than having to scroll through menus on pedals in the middle of gigs  ...hence why i got rid of the Helix a while back.   

Edited by scannerman

3 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

Minor tweaks, BDPG from fuzzrocious added at the end of the chain for some beef and prob be squeezing in a heliotropic aswell!! 
5DDF73D1-7659-4495-825E-ED320522A008.thumb.jpeg.425457c465c47b9a1b04478031adbb18.jpeg

BDPG used to be my go to overdrive. I had a kid paint version that was on my old stupidly big board for years. Great pedal. Plus as you well know, Cluster Flux = Winning.

• Thanks 1

NPD for me yesterday: the blue octave pedal in the middle. "The 85" by Laney. I'd previously tried their "Custard Factory" compressor but didn't get on with it. "The 85" is more intuitive; and the Anderton's product video on the Black Country pedals also helped.  

I tried out 4 others, but this was the one that sounded best with my G&L L2000 and Sire V7 fretless. The Sub 'n' Up and EBS Octabass were pretty close in the shoot out though. The Aguilar Octamizer and MXR288 octave deluxe were less close. 

The signal chain runs from top right to left. Switch to select the bass, tuner, compressor, octaver, chorus, preamp. 

I give the sound techs clean and driven signals from the preamp and let them decide how much of each to blend in. I'm often playing in 2 or 3 piece bands (worship rotas at church are proving a bit difficult) so having the 2 signals helps to fill things out. I'm hoping the octaver will similarly. I'm even thinking of putting it and the chorus after the preamp using the "thru" path, then they can have 3 signals - I probably need to talk that one through with them though! 

DSC_0022.JPG

• Like 4

This was my lineup for last night's gig. Still in the development stage but I think I'm edging closer to 'nearly there'. Signal path is Tuner>MS60B>Octave>Soul Food>Bass Clone>Delay (the pale blue pedal)>Tube Amp Sim>DI box. The MS60B provides a compressor (Dcomp) with a clean patch, a slightly filtered patch, a deeply flanged patch and an uncompressed acoustic amp simulator. The octave was there to thicken the sound as we were a duo last night. The Soul Food gives a bit of bite or grit to cut through the inevitable guitars and the Tube amp sim is set up to just colour the sound nicely for the older tunes in the set. The delay is set to slap-back, which at £10 new is what it does best, but it will be replaced by something with more options in the coming weeks. The DI was a late addition (as you can see by the jaunty angle). It may well be relegated to the underside of the board to free up space for another pedal (because you can't have too many pedals 😀). Incidentally, the board is home made from off-cuts of plastic fascia board covered with black gaffa tape. It's slightly angled so that there is room for a powerblock under the top row of pedals.

DSCG8938-1.thumb.jpg.d03e3df9c2399cb46f0dbd8d6be15b58.jpg   

• Like 2

My board requirements seem to have settled down to four set ups. Two regular bands, one less frequent and one very occasional. 

The requirements for the two main ones are different so I run two boards, and the others get whatever I bung in the car.

This is the latest set up for my main gigging band. It covers everything I need and is pretty settled. I still seem to change out the drive pedal, and the envelope filter on a fairly regular basis but otherwise this collection makes the noises I'm after.

IMG_20220904_140034.thumb.jpg.90878af1d8ce28bf85fe5b0e4ade6ae4.jpg

Powered by a Truetone CS7, and sat on a NUX Bumblebee, the switches getting the most action are the OC-5, American Sound, and the graphic eq. These boost or thicken the sound when the keys take a solo or just make things a bit filthy when the set gets lively. Everything else does a job on a specific song, or part of a song.

Out of sight beneath the top level is a Behringer Bass BDI which gives a bit of sparkle and drive to my 'clean' or 'always on' sound.

• Like 6

New additions to my acoustic board. The Mel9 is amazing, I’m blown away by how nice it sounds under chords if used subtly. Didn’t like it on bass at all sadly.
The other change is the Donner  power supply which is very light, came with loads of cables and looks kinda cool too. 

C7B8D121-A398-4FE2-8681-376EA69E3369.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02

Got rid of a few posh pedals, as I'm not using so many effects in my bands at the moment. Used the money to buy more basses 😁

EBS Microbass 2 - A/B box/ Preamp/DI/ Overdrive/ headphone amp and Effects loop. Very very useful bit of kit and great quality sound. In the loop I have all of the effects, so I can use them through the Headphones.

Darkglass Hyper Luminal- new arrival and jury's still out. Analog pedal with a digital sidechain, with models of three popular compressors. All sound great and very different, so lots of variety, and fairly easy to set up, with lots of pretty Blue lights. Need to use this with the band, to get a feel for it. 

BOSS LS2 - splits the signal after the comp, so all effects have compression beforehand. Has two seperate lines of FX that I can switch between or run in parallel

Loop A - general effects.

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe- I had one of these before and while I loved the tone and tracking, it had a noise issue. I really needed an Octave thst tracks well with active basses, and this was the best I'd tried in that application. To different voices to mimic the EBS and OC2 Sounds.

EBS Bass IQ - this is a great sounding filter!! Lots of variation with the modes and simple to use. Not as fat or resonant as some, but has a great tight/clear filter tone that cuts through really well. 

EBS Unichorus - Chorus/Flanger and pitch mod. Gorgeous Analog tones in a bombproof box

EBS Dphaser - As above but a funky, swirly,fat and very cool Digital Phaser. I love this thing

Donner Deluxe Mini tuner- kept losing the Headstock thing and got fed up of asking the the Keyboard player to give me an E 😂

Loop B - Synth Channel

Emma - Okto Nojs - Octaver and synthy Dynamic Fuzz in one pedal, can be used individualy or combined for Dirty synth tones.

Source Audio C4 synth- had one of these before, with a posh midi thing, only used 6 sounds in it 🤣

Synths/octavers/filters/phasers allsorts in here, but just sticking to thd six sounds this time.

Nice "just a bit more than I need" board, and everything's nicely spaced. Just need yo sort the cables out 😁

20220908_212913.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 8

Completed my board just before my birthday 😃

My chain:

Elegee Custom Mini Bass > Peterson Strobostomp > Cali76 Compact Bass > Aguilar Octamizer > Guma Antique(Darkglass VMT Clone) > Aguilar Filter Twin > Aguilar Tone Hammer

I just got the Guma Antique through this forum, and had the original enclosure changed with my graphic design printed, thanks to Scott from GojiraFX for helping me out. This is a special one as I found this dirt pedal to be a gem and it sounds so good!

1.thumb.jpg.b39787bbb7efc480d645cc36977297b9.jpg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Chadu25 said:

Completed my board just before my birthday 😃

My chain:

Elegee Custom Mini Bass > Peterson Strobostomp > Cali76 Compact Bass > Aguilar Octamizer > Guma Antique(Darkglass VMT Clone) > Aguilar Filter Twin > Aguilar Tone Hammer

I just got the Guma Antique through this forum, and had the original enclosure changed with my graphic design printed, thanks to Scott from GojiraFX for helping me out. This is a special one as I found this dirt pedal to be a gem and it sounds so good!

1.thumb.jpg.b39787bbb7efc480d645cc36977297b9.jpg

That is a geometric masterpiece. I mean I'm sure it sounds good but that would make me happy to just look at.

• Like 2