Why become a member? ×

How do other people describe your bass playing and what kind of bass player are you?

silverfoxnik

not to bothered about getting comments but the best one i had was from my band mates when after i had a hiatus from the band they said they could find someone as good and would i rejoin.
i think the best complement is the audience being into what we are playing. being singled out doesnt mattter to me

It depends on the person asking depends on whether I put much store in what they say..

If a pretty happy drunk, I just say glad you liked it, etc etc
If someone goes into detail about sound, technique what type of bass... it is pretty easy to figure out where they are coming from..
We might talk tech for a few mins.

If a musician I know, then it is nice when they say, nice bass- as in nice playing.

I'm generally able to suss the tone pretty quickly but if they bother to talk to me, then it is generally going to be
a positive thing.

If people rave about the gig, then that is nice..but if I thought we weren't all that... I might try and tell them they should check us out when we are on form etc ect ..
and if we were crap, I'd tell them that as well.
It is all perspective and you should be able to get straight away where they are coming from...and be polite at the end of the day.

The way I see it and band mates will say this...is that I make the band sound good because I tie the drums in and provide the foundation. I can be quite busy here
but I always get ad-hoc drums fills and wont be thrown off ( provided the drummer can really play) and drummers love this and it makes the band instantly tight from day 1.
The rest of the band know from the first run thru whether the song is likely to work in that regard... It doesn't matter if things like fills change, they work as long as they are in time.

If the songs works from just bass and drums, then the key and gtr just need to dress up the song..they don't have to worry about filling in to make it work..

Edited by JTUK

In the mens room after I'd just played a gig, I had the following:

Bloke A: Ah man, that was some really nice playing - solid grooves, nice fills, made it look effortless & so easy
Bloke B: I thought you looked like you were completely winging it all the way through!

Bloke B was correct... But interesting to have two very different comments!

We were the first band on a charity gig. As we were packing up to let the next band on, Their bassist came up to me and said "Some nice bass playing there mate!" I felt a bit awkward and embarrassed and muttered something about the onstage sound being crap and not being able to hear myself.
He must have though to himself ' What a w***er!' :(

That Silverfoxnik chap implied I was 'distinctive' the other day ;). I took it as a great compliment, of course, as Nik is a knowledgeable geezer and cool player himself.

Best backhanded compliment recently was when a drunk punter slurred that we were the 'best amateur band' he'd ever seen...

What type of player am I? Punctual.

Edited by bassninja

I got a comment after soundcheck for a recent gig from one of the other bands members "that was amazing you are more like a lead guitarist than a bass player" I am not sure how much of a compliment that was but I turned my amp up until everything else was drowned out an widdled away throughout the gaps between songs before stomping off in a huff when I failed to pull after the gig!

[quote name='bassninja' timestamp='1467303107' post='3082707']
That Silverfoxnik chap implied I was 'distinctive' the other day ;). I took it as a great compliment, of course, as Nik is a knowledgeable geezer and cool player himself.

Best backhanded compliment recently was when a drunk punter slurred that we were the 'best amateur band' he'd ever seen...

What type of player am I? Punctual.
[/quote]

Very true, I did say that Wal, but IMHO, your playing is much more than just 'distinctive' - though that's no mean feat in itself - and it's so much more than 'punctual'..

I remember watching you play a few years back when chimike was there too, and we both said what a pleasure it was listening to you play; I think Mike's phrase at the time was you were' on the money! '

I got this text a while back from a drummer in a jazz band that I dep for.

[attachment=222560:12651023_466263476915252_8043306969545913635_n.jpg]

I've been told a few times by people that they know I can play pretty much anything, as long as I have a chart/score in front of me. Bare in mind that I prefer to do reading gigs, cos I'm too lazy to learn stuff, that's pretty good I guess.

Edited by ambient

These days with a decline in interest in live music overall, I don't think most people even know I play bass. They think I'm up there playing guitar.

No one has ever approached me and commented on my playing.

I'm a bass player in a bar band and play at that level. I have some nights where I feel like I should be playing at the national headliner level and some nights where I think I should pack it up.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1467311678' post='3082786']
I have, on more than one occasion, been described as "The best bass player I've ever played with".
This was, in every occasion, said by the worst musicians I've ever played with.
[/quote]

Yes, Me too! - By a guitarist.
Although to be fair he isnt the worst musician.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1467311678' post='3082786']
I have, on more than one occasion, been described as "The best bass player I've ever played with".
This was, in every occasion, said by the worst musicians I've ever played with.
[/quote]

Yup. I have always been the low rung on the ladder in any band I have worked in whenever possible - best way to learn is play with people who are better than you.

I usually get reasonably positive comments about my bass playing. But i went into very small mens' room at then end of one gig and accidentally knocked a guy at the urinal when I opened the door. Naturally I apologised. He replied "what are you apologising for?". I explained I'd opened the door too quickly. He then said "I thought you were apologising for your singing".

Fair comment imo.

I play in two bands of different genres, but in both my playing is pretty prominent for the structure and drive of the songs. I've always ended up playing in bands with lots of space to fill onbass, so I have a chance to create some unusual and hopefully distinctive basslines as a result.

Its usually really pumping, rhythmical and melodic, so if I can be considered to have a style I guess that is it, just by default really.

I got a brilliant back handed compliment at a gig with my covers band recently. A bloke said: "that was great - you should just sing, your guitarist should play the bass and you should get someone else in on the guitar." Sort of managed to insult everyone bar the drummer.

Playing in a 3 piece band does give you more room to be noticed, and I often get positive comments about my playing, but I'm not really sure why.
One Beardie old fellow said he could hear the influence of Percy Jones, which I took as a massive compliment!
I rarely get comments on the sound, and think my sound is quite ordinary.

I don't think 'invisible' is necessarily a negative comment. If you're doing your job right, i.e. playing for the song, keeping it minimal, making tasteful note choices, sitting in the mix and locking in with the drums then what's the problem? You've turned up, you're in tune, you're playing in time, you're having fun and you're getting paid. Life is good!

Bass players I've seen who deliberately stick their heads above the parapet, play too much/too loudly/out of time and/or don't listen to what their band mates are doing are inevitably bloody awful and would be better off with a guitar. Or possibly a broom.

I get comparisons to Paul Simonon and comments about cool shoes. Generally the musicianship of the band gets praised and you can't hide a bad bassist in a good band. For the record I haven't played anything punk in 20yrs but I guess our formative years still come out a little.