Why become a member? ×

Nick Beggs... much cop?

Highfox

On 21/01/2023 at 07:20, wateroftyne said:

fter seeing the recent ‘Too Shy’ video, I had this discussion with some pals.

Loads of stuff was dismissed my my peers and I back in the day for being ‘too poppy’.

Imagine if pop music was as good as that today?

Oh yeah that pop music in the '80's. What was that dude doing in that group "Japan"?

Beggs was/is still also an extremely good looking fella.  As though being talented and a nice guy isn't enough for some people. :D

Not that I am jealous, of course.  I may have been at the back of the queue when looks and talent were bing dished out but my sunny disposition makes up for it :ph34r:

• Haha 2

Think the big difference between Nick and other bass players from that era is that he developed as a player both on bass and then with The Stick basses. He admits he had to change his style of playing to stay a full time bassist / musician.

For me that's a sign of a true professional. Learning styles to suit the market place.

Dave

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rumple said:

I think I saw somewhere he's out on a mini tour with his Daughters.

Went to see Marillion at the Brighton Dome a couple of months ago and the support act was the Beggs Sisters. Nick Beggs on double bass with his daughters on acoustic guitars and vocals. They were very good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I've always REALLY disliked this version.

You mean there's a good version?

While it's undoubtedly very skillfully played the lack of any sort of groove and the pompous annoyingly folky vocals turn it into nails-on-a-blackboard for me!

Still, while Mr. Beggs appears to be an extremely good player, my main memory is of Kajagoogoo playing Leeds University in the mid 80s. I was on security and barely noticed any funkystuff because of the screaming girls, and the need to pull said screaming girls out of the crowd as they fainted, put them on the side of the stage only for them to run into the crowd and faint again.

1 minute ago, Leonard Smalls said:

You mean there's a good version?

While it's undoubtedly very skillfully played the lack of any sort of groove and the pompous annoyingly folky vocals turn it into nails-on-a-blackboard for me!

Hmm... the original is more about majesty than groove. It's marvellous.

And Sally Oldfield's 'annoyingly folky' vocals are intended to be more choir soloist than folk, I think.

The live one above misses the point completely IMO.

A lot of people don't get Prog because its not really their kind of music. I don't mean that in a bad way. its just not for everyone.

For me Prog songs had stories within them where you could let your imagination run wild. Probably more so when i was younger and had more imagination. As i've gotten older i'm finding that i prefer a nice vocal melody in the prog songs i buy now.

I used to enjoy those long epic songs from bands like Genesis and Floyd when i was in my late teens / early 20's but i tend not to listen to them these days.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

I've got no sound at the moment, so I don't know if she was introduced: who's the guitarist with the shiny red axe? (Not Mr Hackett obvs.)

That's Amanda Lehmann. She's played with Hackett off and on for years. 

• Thanks 1

Wasn't Lenor the original singer who Kajagoogoo unceremoniously sacked after the first album for having too much teenybopper appeal? 

Anyhow, I remember coming home from a night out in the late 1980s and putting the t.v on , probably to watch The Hitman and Her(best t.v show ever) and coming across some middle of the night music show featuring Ellis Beggs and Howard live in concert. I vividly remember Nick was playing a beautiful Warwick Thumb 5 string amazingly well, and he was absolutely everything I wanted to be as a bass player at that time. He's so inventive and busy in his playing, but his bass lines are so well constructed that they are never obtrusive or overbearing. A very, very clever player.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

On 26/01/2023 at 11:27, wateroftyne said:

Hmm... the original is more about majesty than groove. It's marvellous.

And Sally Oldfield's 'annoyingly folky' vocals are intended to be more choir soloist than folk, I think.

The live one above misses the point completely IMO.

I thought it was rather good. Each to their own.

• Like 2

On 26/01/2023 at 12:25, dmccombe7 said:

A lot of people don't get Prog because its not really their kind of music. I don't mean that in a bad way. its just not for everyone.

For me Prog songs had stories within them where you could let your imagination run wild. Probably more so when i was younger and had more imagination. As i've gotten older i'm finding that i prefer a nice vocal melody in the prog songs i buy now.

I used to enjoy those long epic songs from bands like Genesis and Floyd when i was in my late teens / early 20's but i tend not to listen to them these days.

Dave

I tend to agree but for me it's probably because I might not have 11 minutes to sit down and listen to Heart of the Sunrise by Yes or Firth of Fifth by Genesis but I do have 3 or 4 minutes to listen to a Chilis song

But back to the original thread - I am enjoying watching and listening to Nick's stuff. Even sat through the 40 odd minute VH1 bands reunited video on Youtube and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I don't recall the last time I sat down and learnt something for myself and not just for the band before now but I'm having a lot of fun learning Too Shy at the moment

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 1