Why become a member? ×

I love the enthusiasm of today's youngsters!

thebrig

Whilst searching through JoinMyBand for an "old git" guitarist for our band, I noticed these two separate adverts.

Got to admire the enthusiasm and positive attitudes, but will they succeed, or are they just delusional? :unsure:

[url="http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/singer-poet-pianist-looking-to-start-rock-band-t874366.html"][color=#0000ff][b]Singer / Poet / Pianist looking to start rock band[/b][/color][/url]

[color=#0000ff]I'm 18 years old, looking to set up a seriously enigmatic rock group.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Anyone looking to join some boring indie band from talent-less land (i.e. anyone who thinks Catfish and the Bottlemen are brilliant) can leave immediately.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]However, anyone who can play bass, guitar, or drums effectively (and can carry a tune - which is a MUST!) find themselves with an unique opportunity to join potentially what will become one of the greatest rock bands of all time.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]We will work on making vocal harmony as tight as possible (see Beach Boys, Queen, Th[/color][color=#0000ff]e Beatles[/color][color=#0000ff] etc.) and you MUST be determined to break through the stifling indie filth that is laden before this godforsaken generation...[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Anyone between the ages of 16 and 24 may apply within.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]P.S.: I also like The Doors.[/color]

[color=#0000ff][b][u]READ! AWESOME OPPORTUNITY![/u][/b][/color]

[color=#0000ff]LEAD VOCALS , RHYTHM GUITARIST, DRUMMER, BASS PLAYER AGED 18-21 REQUIRED.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]MUST HAVE OWN TRANSPORT AND GEAR TO PERFORM.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]THE IDEA OF THE BAND IS TO GIG, PLAY POPULAR PUB CLASSICS, DO OWN MATERIAL, PLAY BIG CROWDS, AND HAVE AN AMAZING STAGE PRESENCE.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOU THEN GET IN TOUCH[/color]

[color=#0000ff]WANT TO FORM A GROUP OF PEOPLE TO LEARN 3 SONGS TO PRACTISE TOGETHER ON SATURDAY 25TH JUNE[/color]

I'd say alot of bands start out with this misguided enthusiasm.
Just some of those turn out to be The Rolling Stones etc.
Confidence and enthusiasm ARE important for successful bands.
And everyone gotta start somewhere :)

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1464258416' post='3057929']
I don't know of course but I'd bet a significant number of them don't have a blast because there are very few brilliant players aged 18-21 with own transport, etc. prepared to follow up on these "awesome opportunities".
[/quote]

IME general reliability, enthusiasm and energy always trump being a "brilliant player". This is a mistake musicians commonly make. Also if you have all those things you can find was around the transport problem if you don't have your own. Opportunities come to those who work hard to make them happen. Something else a lot of musicians don't seem to understand.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1464258416' post='3057929']
I don't know of course but I'd bet a significant number of them don't have a blast because there are very few brilliant players aged 18-21 with own transport, etc. prepared to follow up on these "awesome opportunities".
[/quote]

They're young ! They're starting a band ! It's exciting ! Of course they'll have a blast, if they do nothing more than make a racket in someone's garage they'll have a ball.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1464253589' post='3057863']
Whilst searching through JoinMyBand for an "old git" guitarist for our band, I noticed these two separate adverts.

Got to admire the enthusiasm and positive attitudes, but will they succeed, or are they just delusional? :unsure:

[url="http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/singer-poet-pianist-looking-to-start-rock-band-t874366.html"][color=#0000ff][b]Singer / Poet / Pianist looking to start rock band[/b][/color][/url]

[color=#0000ff]I'm 18 years old, looking to set up a seriously enigmatic rock group.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Anyone looking to join some boring indie band from talent-less land (i.e. anyone who thinks Catfish and the Bottlemen are brilliant) can leave immediately.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]However, anyone who can play bass, guitar, or drums effectively (and can carry a tune - which is a MUST!) find themselves with an unique opportunity to join potentially what will become one of the greatest rock bands of all time.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]We will work on making vocal harmony as tight as possible (see Beach Boys, Queen, Th[/color][color=#0000ff]e Beatles[/color][color=#0000ff] etc.) and you MUST be determined to break through the stifling indie filth that is laden before this godforsaken generation...[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Anyone between the ages of 16 and 24 may apply within.[/color]

[color=#0000ff][b][u]READ! AWESOME OPPORTUNITY![/u][/b][/color]

[color=#0000ff]LEAD VOCALS , RHYTHM GUITARIST, DRUMMER, BASS PLAYER AGED 18-21 REQUIRED.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]MUST HAVE OWN TRANSPORT AND GEAR TO PERFORM.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]THE IDEA OF THE BAND IS TO GIG, PLAY POPULAR PUB CLASSICS, DO OWN MATERIAL, PLAY BIG CROWDS, AND HAVE AN AMAZING STAGE PRESENCE.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOU THEN GET IN TOUCH[/color]

[color=#0000ff]WANT TO FORM A GROUP OF PEOPLE TO LEARN 3 SONGS TO PRACTISE TOGETHER ON SATURDAY 25TH JUNE[/color]
[/quote]

I'm pretty cynical when it comes to the younger generations of rock musicians, however I like both of these ads.

Maybe there's hope after all.

Blue

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1464257797' post='3057921']
Awesome, more power to them, I hope they have a blast.

Being young should be all about having masses of enthusiasm and if some of it is misguided then who cares ?
[/quote]

Exactly! When your 18 you can do what you want. As we age our options start to go down hill.

Blue

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1464253589' post='3057863']

[/quote]

...and for that reason, I'm out. As well as the fact I'm 52.

Not my world, but a big tick for enthusiasm and wanting to 'have a go' which is a big plus in my book. I agree with the comment that commitment and enthusiams and a willingness to do some work is more valuable in the long-term than brilliance. I know and have played with a number of 'brilliant' musicians - it tends to be difficult to enjoy anything around them as they are often perfecitonists...

Good on them, the problem with this place is that, whether we care to admit it or not, we're mostly middle aged and middle class, spend too much time worrying about thing like fake basses on eBay, whether heft can be achieved without 12 tubes, and the overly ambitious nature of bass player wanted ads. I'd love to be in the sort of band where the guys are still dreaming

Love the enthusiasm and hope they make it but doomed to fail. The stumbling block being transport. If you're 18-21, it must cost a couple of grand to insure the cheapest car. Bring back the good old days with a band van full of dog-ends and vomit I say.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1464299163' post='3058352']
Love the enthusiasm and hope they make it but doomed to fail. The stumbling block being transport. If you're 18-21, it must cost a couple of grand to insure the cheapest car. Bring back the good old days with a band van full of dog-ends and vomit I say.
[/quote]

And that's exactly the kind of middle-aged middle-class thinking that dooms you to failure. There's nothing to stop them from finding someone who can afford the insurance and the transport to drive them about. And before you say that's impossible I've done it several times in bands I have been in over the years.

IME there is very little that can't be overcome with a bit of ingenuity and the attitude that you never know what you can get for nothing (or very little) until you ask. My first band had been played on John Peel when the closest thing we'd done to a proper gig was performing 3 of our songs at our school music evening. Said recording cost less than £40 for the day in the studio including getting the band there with our gear on the bus!

My next band managed to blag free recording time in the university music studio, and results got us major record label interest.

Over the years the bands I've played in have made a good number of promo videos including a couple done in the 80s when it wasn't anywhere near as cheap and easy as it is nowadays. Total video production spend to date? Well under £1000.

It's all doable so long as you have the right attitude and don't give up before you've even started.