Why become a member? ×

I love the enthusiasm of today's youngsters!

thebrig

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1464299163' post='3058352']
Love the enthusiasm and hope they make it but doomed to fail. The stumbling block being transport. If you're 18-21, it must cost a couple of grand to insure the cheapest car. Bring back the good old days with a band van full of dog-ends and vomit I say.
[/quote]

I didn't have a road-legal vehicle until my early twenties; that didn't stop me having the group van (several, in fact, from two Thames 15cwt, through a couple of Anglia vans, a VW 'Devon' ex-camper and a twin-axle Transit 'hussler'. One day, driving to get some drumsticks, the prop shaft fell off from the Thames, on a busy road, by the traffic lights, before a bank. No tax, no insurance, no MOT... A passing bobby helped me to push it fifty yards round the corner out of the way, and indicated where to get the Tube for a scrap yard to get another prop shaft before continuing his round, without asking at all about my paperwork. Phew..!. With my greasy old shaft I had all the space I needed in the otherwise crowded rush-hour Tube..!
It's amazing how carefully one drives when uninsured; it's a heavy responsibility.

I was 18 when I passed my test. My car and everything with it - funded by myself. My bass and other gear - funded by myself. If you don't have contacts on the scene then online ads are the next best thing. Just because you're young doesn't mean you can't play bass/have no drive/won't get anywhere etc. I did 'have a blast' through those years and made a lot of friends, played some great gigs and wrote some cool music.

Sounds to me like a bunch of middle age farts who never did anything themselves when they were younger. Watch it - you've turned into your Dad.

This thread is hilarious! Or perhaps just typical.

We bemoan the demise of rock'n'roll. We bemoan young people not playing 'real instruments'. We bemoan a lack of new blood on the live scene.

Then when all three come along at once, we pick over their logistical arrangements like a bunch of accountants (no offense to accountants).

"I hope I die before I get old" Etc... ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1464336600' post='3058488']
This thread is hilarious! Or perhaps just typical.

We bemoan the demise of rock'n'roll. We bemoan young people not playing 'real instruments'. We bemoan a lack of new blood on the live scene.

Then when all three come along at once, we pick over their logistical arrangements like a bunch of accountants (no offense to accountants).

"I hope I die before I get old" Etc... ;)
[/quote]
because we are all old, jaded and wish we had the youngsters care free attitude

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1464337614' post='3058496']
I'm not even that old and I'm bitter and jaded already...
[/quote]
i'm only 32 but i'm the same haha
to be fair, if i was in a band that had ambitions to go for it i still would, but the older you get the harder it is to find other people with that drive.

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1464303972' post='3058395']
And that's exactly the kind of middle-aged middle-class thinking that dooms you to failure. There's nothing to stop them from finding someone who can afford the insurance and the transport to drive them about. And before you say that's impossible I've done it several times in bands I have been in over the years.

IME there is very little that can't be overcome with a bit of ingenuity and the attitude that you never know what you can get for nothing (or very little) until you ask. My first band had been played on John Peel when the closest thing we'd done to a proper gig was performing 3 of our songs at our school music evening. Said recording cost less than £40 for the day in the studio including getting the band there with our gear on the bus!

My next band managed to blag free recording time in the university music studio, and results got us major record label interest.

Over the years the bands I've played in have made a good number of promo videos including a couple done in the 80s when it wasn't anywhere near as cheap and easy as it is nowadays. Total video production spend to date? Well under £1000.

It's all doable so long as you have the right attitude and don't give up before you've even started.
[/quote]

Remind me to use emoticons more often, you seem to have taken my remark a little too seriously.

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1464304301' post='3058397']
Just out of interest does anyone use joinmyband and is it a worthwhile tool for finding a band? (Finding it hard in my new area)
[/quote]

it is yeah! You might have to send of a fair few messages to get something however