Why become a member? ×

Punchiest 2x12

40hz

My role in my 3 piece band is based all around punch and poking through the mix but at the moment I feel my sound is lacking in that department. My Markbass is a great cab and does have some thump but not quite the extremes I'm chasing. I'm interested in peoples experience with cabs that have a strong 'Pop'. Other aspects of tone are not so important and I really want to stay in 2x12 territory for weight and portability reasons. Cheers in advance :)

Edited by 40hz

I've used a Shroeder 2x12" and that could be heard loud and clear, very punchy I would say.

Currently using a 1x12" plus 2x10" markbass rig, which also seems to work well.

What about adding another MB 1x12" to your current set up?

Barefaced Super 12 or Super Twin. The S12 is the older cab with standard eminence drivers and probably marginally more "pokey", the STwin is the Gen3 with proprietary drivers and a more rounded tone but will easily do poke :)

My first suggestion would be for Barefaced. Next up, Bergantino cabs were some of the best I've played, check those out.

Bass Direct has a used Genz Benz 212. I haven't heard one but I've not seen a bad review of GB cabs.

My BagEnd 212 has great punch & really growls (atleast it did with GK RB400-IV head I had) think they like a fair bit of power ... but it isn't light at 33kg :) ... Barefaced Super 12 I had a few years ago would be a good light weight 212 that's certainly loud tho not the same growl I love from Bagend .. my 2c

Edited by sifi2112

If it was a 18 months or so back I would have 100% recommended the Genz Benz NX2 212T (the latest version they did before the company essential move on and Mr Genzler started Genzler amplification).

Why? Because a few retailers sold the last of these lightweight, punchy well regarded cabs for about £450 brand new, sealed. Almost half price.

I'd still look at Genz, Genzler, Berg or the other suggestions above.

I haven't encountered a cab punchier in the live mix than one of the Schroeders: the 1515L or the more common 1212L or 1210L.

They're a very voiced cab, but for punch they don't get much better...I've had various BF cabs (amongst others) and I use Bergs, and that low-mid jump in the Schroeders out-punches most.

Late to this party obviously, but the 1212L is the punchiest cab I've ever used. You will always be heard in the mix in any size room whether you have PA support or not. Can sound a bit odd at home or in quiet rehearsal but sounds lush and powerful at gigs - where it counts.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462557949' post='3044079']
Late to this party obviously, but the 1212L is the punchiest cab I've ever used. You will always be heard in the mix in any size room whether you have PA support or not. Can sound a bit odd at home or in quiet rehearsal but sounds lush and powerful at gigs - where it counts.
[/quote]+1 Great cabs.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1462557141' post='3044068']
I've just picked up a Vanderkley 212 MNT. I've not used another cab like it. It's brutal. Still early days, only two gigs in. But, it is quite impressive!
[/quote]

Good call.
Friends rave about them so I need to check them out deeper.

The couple of Schroeders I've tried (2x12 12+2x10) certainly fulfill your criteria. I had a Berg 2x12 which though I think beat the Schroeder as an all round cab, the Schroeder probably had the edge at being heard in a live, loud band setting where the cab needed to cut through across a broader area (sure there will be some science reason why this is so).

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1462613909' post='3044344']

Good call.
Friends rave about them so I need to check them out deeper.
[/quote]

I think you'd like it. It is an effortlessly powerful cab and very even across the range. Really fills a room.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1462621273' post='3044433']
I think you'd like it. It is an effortlessly powerful cab and very even across the range. Really fills a room.
[/quote]

Very happy with what I have but I have a couple of friends who almost beg me to try them on their gigs to let them know what I think or whether
I agree, etc.
I haven't room for another 212 tho... :lol:

Thanks again guys, some really helpful stuff as always :). I had a browse on the Schroeder website and really like the look of the 3x10 (don't see too many of them). Any experiences with this cab and comparisons to the 2x12?

The Schroeder 310 is available in 4 or 8ohm config.

I've got an older 1212l with the angled driver. It really does create a lot of noise. They have a pronounced mid hump which makes their presence known in a band environment. I practice with an old 412, I haven't a clue what it is bar that it's old...my Schroeder can easily keep up with it.

[url="http://www.b-lowbass.co.uk/product/310l/"]http://www.b-lowbass.co.uk/product/310l/[/url]