Why become a member? ×

Punchiest 2x12

40hz

Funnily enough I've recently heard Schroeders.... it looked like a single 10 or a 12" ..and possibly a traditional throated horn.
It was an ok sound for what it was and you could deffo hear the mid prominence but whilst you heard it, it didn't support the band.
That can be the problem for a boxy little cab...the sound is too squat so I'd not agree it sits well in the mix...as it gave the band a very squeezed
compressed sound..
I can see why the user might like/love it as they are under the misguided..IMO, view that it is enough,
Sure the load-in is great but my suspiscion is that you are asking it to do too much in order to be loud enough. It works in a limited bandwidth but it
was too squat and indistinct across the full range of the bass. IMO.

Talking about the single cab here... I'd think the 310 would be a different beast...as long as they tune it differently.

The BMF range seem to be more flat-response than the rest, which mostly seem to have that low-mid bias. That said once you get to the bigger cabs the sound is pretty big, and the dispersion is also really good. I had the 21012 and it was a very big sounding cab indeed.

Hi, I hope I can offer an alternative viewpoint with regards to getting that punch you require. Of course I'm going to suggest the Big Twin, it's an amazing cabinet, but it doesn't have a baked in EQ hump that you may be looking for.

So, wiith the right treatment I can get most cabinets to 'punch'.

Ask any experienced engineer in sound where the perceived punch in live sound comes from and hopefully they'll all come up with the same answer and will use often a graphic EQ as an analogy as to where to find it. Therefore, in order to get a specific character to my sound, i will include a decent EQ. (I have a few!) For 'punch' as an example I'd probably start by boosting around 100hz with a Q of about 1 octave, maybe a bit wider. Depending on the bass cabinet, I may also roll off the deepest lows too which creates more perceived 'kick' and less energy gets wasted in cabinets that can't reproduce sub 30hz.

I appreciate you are in the market fr a cabinet anyway, but for those who may have a similar quandary, this could be something to try before emptying the wallet on a new rig.

A few posts have already discussed, but to be fairly simple about it, try not to buy a cabinet with a fairly scooped out low mid range as part of the voicing of the cabinet.

I haven't personally ever played a 2x12 with that low mid/hi bass scooped out, so it might be quite a common goal to make sure that area is defined well.

I have a Genz NX212T and an Aguilar DB212 (my favourite bass cabinet I've ever heard/used) and they are both low mid kickers. Plus the fact I tend to goose the low mids anyway, and have some basses that are quite low mid orientated, I get a huge kick of that volume where it really counts, instead of it being huge flabby bass. Even with a 5 string, I get a tight, defined and punchy B. I let the PA do the more bass/low bass orientated work.