Why become a member? ×

Cheapest online strings company.?

bubinga5

I guess it depends on what strings! Some companies are able to offer bigger discounts on some brands. That said, there are a number of outlets that offer good prices. I've not needed to use them for a long while as I get mine direct, but I always used to use the likes of StringBusters and Strings Direct for the big brands.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1460202028' post='3023524']
Definitely depends on what you're looking for. I just bought a twin pack of D'addario EXL-165s for £24.89 from Amazon but normally I would go to Strings Direct and occasionally Stringbusters as well
[/quote]

+1 for Strings Direct. Not necessarily the cheapest but for speed and efficiency I cannot fault them. Sometimes I order at lunchtime and they are here 15 hours later. No idea how they manage it as I live in the wilderness (sort of).

For long scale nickel rounds I tend to use Legacy strings, which is the Strings Direct 'house brand'. They tell me they are repackaged Rotosounds. £17.50 for a pack of 2, £24.99 for a 3 pack.

Most other strings I get from Status Graphite as they are great quality and not expensive - although recently they have had supply problems.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1460204666' post='3023587']

Most other strings I get from Status Graphite as they are great quality and not expensive - although recently they have had supply problems.
[/quote]

Me too...I've fallen in love with the black nylon tapewounds which cost around £16 inc of P&P.

For you stainless/nickel needs you could join the D'Addario Beta group and test their strings FOC. PM Andy (D'Addario Rep) to get on the list.

Strings and Beyond in the USA. Even with shipping they work out very cheap, and you don't always get hit
for import duty either. Great range of brands and other items too. Recommended.
Also as above, Stringbusters and Strings Direct are both reliable sources too.

Thomann was the place I got my TI Flats from and they were about £15 cheaper than elsewhere, though I got free postage as the strings were part of a larger order that got me free postage. But definitely worth looking at Thomann.

Other than Thomann it's always been stringbusters for me!

I use a merchant on eBay by the name of bassspecialties. I get DR Sunbeams delivered to my door for £20. Can't beat that anywhere.

I want to try Elixirs next but they're still a bit pricey. TI flats are just ridiculously dear - you can buy a decent pedal for the price of those strings. I don't care how good they are - that's plain extortion.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1460292218' post='3024369']
thanks guys, Its a set of DR Marcus Miller 5 i was after. From Amazon there bloody £50 with postage. Jesus.!!!! String Busters are cheaper me thinks.
[/quote]

Cheaper still at Bass Gear [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/dr-fat-beams-medium-45-105/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/dr-fat-beams-medium-45-105/[/url]

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1460290975' post='3024359']
I use a merchant on eBay by the name of bassspecialties. I get DR Sunbeams delivered to my door for £20. Can't beat that anywhere.

I want to try Elixirs next but they're still a bit pricey. TI flats are just ridiculously dear - you can buy a decent pedal for the price of those strings. I don't care how good they are - that's plain extortion.
[/quote]
I paid £32 for my TI's, hardly dear!

Worth considering how regularly the string places are likely to turn around their string stock.
I bought ten set of strings (guitar) from Thomann and when thy arrived they had small rust spots along the length of the stings.
Turns out they were old stock from a bath that was known to be faulty & the brand had changed its packaging to guard against this happening again.
Took me a while but I did get replacement strings after the manufacturer confirmed they were faulty. And I got to keep the rusty ones, which go on my beater guitars!
So do be sure you ask if the strings you are getting are new stock.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1460318258' post='3024662']
Worth considering how regularly the string places are likely to turn around their string stock.
I bought ten set of strings (guitar) from Thomann and when thy arrived they had small rust spots along the length of the stings.
Turns out they were old stock from [b]a bath[/b] that was known to be faulty
[/quote]

No wonder they were rusty!! :D :D :D