Why become a member? ×

Cheapest online strings company.?

bubinga5

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1460372403' post='3025002']
James: where did you purchase your TIs? I do think £32 is expensive for a set of strings. Depends on how wealthy/poor/tight you are I guess. I'm definitely in the latter bracket!
[/quote]
Thomann, they were more than £20 cheaper than most places!

For me the £32 I paid was a bargain. I've so far had the strings on for just shy of 2 years, and they are getting better with age. Had I stuck with rounds I'd have spent over £100 in the same time on strings, I was paying £15 of D'Addario EXL rounds. So though it's a larger initially outlay, it's worked out much cheaper in the long run!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1460290975' post='3024359']
I use a merchant on eBay by the name of bassspecialties. I get DR Sunbeams delivered to my door for £20. Can't beat that anywhere.

I want to try Elixirs next but they're still a bit pricey. TI flats are just ridiculously dear - you can buy a decent pedal for the price of those strings. I don't care how good they are - that's plain extortion.
[/quote]

That sounds good for DRs . Im keen to try them. Do you not get hit for duty or tax?

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1460395295' post='3025370']
Two years? How does that work? I've never used flats, so I don't know the ins and outs. That is incredible, and in fairness that does make sense economically when you put it like that.
[/quote]
Where flats are flat textured, i.e. no windings, they don't accumulate dirt and sweat as much as rounds do, and are easier to clean/maintain meaning you can get MUCH more life out of them. I've gigged and played for at least 1 hour EVERY day for the whole time I've had these strings on my bass, and the life of them is awesome, initially they were bright, like a new round wound string, though not quite as bright, but within a month they deadened off and have VERY slowly become more settled tone wise, now they are perfect for me, they're still bright and articulate enough, but they do thud well too! Where are you based, if you're near Portsmouth we can arrange a meet up and I can show you exactly what I mean! In the meantime listen to/watch this video of Ed Friedland discussing P Basses. His 1973 P has 17 year old LaBella's on it!!!
https://youtu.be/TMNTN-9SAUQ

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1460406166' post='3025515']

Where flats are flat textured, i.e. no windings, they don't accumulate dirt and sweat as much as rounds do, and are easier to clean/maintain meaning you can get MUCH more life out of them. I've gigged and played for at least 1 hour EVERY day for the whole time I've had these strings on my bass, and the life of them is awesome, initially they were bright, like a new round wound string, though not quite as bright, but within a month they deadened off and have VERY slowly become more settled tone wise, now they are perfect for me, they're still bright and articulate enough, but they do thud well too! Where are you based, if you're near Portsmouth we can arrange a meet up and I can show you exactly what I mean! In the meantime listen to/watch this video of Ed Friedland discussing P Basses. His 1973 P has 17 year old LaBella's on it!!!
https://youtu.be/TMNTN-9SAUQ
[/quote]

Aha, right, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation, and for the video. I happen to love Ed Friedland, he's my favourite guy to watch for gear demos on YouTube, great player currently on tour with The Mavericks. I do not like The Mavericks.

Unfortunately I'm in Scotland, but thanks for the invitation, that's really kind of you. I see my next purchase being a set of flats!