Why become a member? ×

Trying to look a little more cheerful on stage :-/

Deedee

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1458475939' post='3007834']
Hi all

Had another storming gig last night. Place was full, everybody rocking, good night all round.

However, had someone come up to me again and ask 'why don't you smile on stage, you look like you don't want to be there?'. Now I have had this said many times before, usually it's 'why do you look like you're about to jump off stage and hit somebody?'.

People who know me know that I'm a pretty fun loving guy who enjoys a good laugh, but it really is starting to concern me that punters who haven't seen us before just think 'it's that band with the miserable bass player'. I do try to show that I'm enjoying myself, it's just that I'm blessed with one of those faces which has a default look of disinterest!

Mean and moody, I'm doing very well.

Any tips?
[/quote]Ecstacy, cocaine, strong weed!

I think that's the concern. I genuinely thought I was making an effort last night. Leg/foot tapping away, smiling and laughing occasionally when the other band members looked over, singing along (when I could). I'll keep working on it.

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1458497408' post='3008077']
I think that's the concern. I genuinely thought I was making an effort last night. Leg/foot tapping away, smiling and laughing occasionally when the other band members looked over, singing along (when I could). I'll keep working on it.
[/quote]

I try to do this.

I just end up looking deranged.

I'm the opposite. I tend to smile quite a lot, and often get the comment 'You looked as if you were enjoying yourself'. Which always makes me think that the unsaid part of the sentence was 'At least... '

When I see myself in videos I never think I look rock n Roll enough. I wanna be all mean n moody, but I'm more like the mother from the Partridge Family.

You can't win really.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1458499252' post='3008101']
When I see myself in videos I wanna be all mean n moody, but I'm more like the mother from the Partridge Family.
[/quote]

You might need to explain that particular cultural reference for the benefit of forum members who are under 45......

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1458497408' post='3008077']
[/quote]

I think that's all it needs, just so you look like you're actually there and taking part. You don't have to jump around and go mad.

Be a slightly more rock and roll version of yourself, that's what I do.

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1458475939' post='3007834']
Hi all

Had another storming gig last night. Place was full, everybody rocking, good night all round.

However, had someone come up to me again and ask 'why don't you smile on stage, you look like you don't want to be there?'. Now I have had this said many times before, usually it's 'why do you look like you're about to jump off stage and hit somebody?'.

People who know me know that I'm a pretty fun loving guy who enjoys a good laugh, but it really is starting to concern me that punters who haven't seen us before just think 'it's that band with the miserable bass player'. I do try to show that I'm enjoying myself, it's just that I'm blessed with one of those faces which has a default look of disinterest!

Mean and moody, I'm doing very well.

Any tips?
[/quote]dont worry matey I'm exactly the same

I've found that everything needs to be exaggerated on stage, a normal/small movement goes unnoticed, the same with facial expression changes.
Lighting from above doesn't help either, the usual coloured lights aiming downwards create shadows under the eyes and mouth which can make you look like you're frowning.
If you can watch a recording of the band you'd be surprised at how stationary a band can look even when they think they're jigging around.

I think in a lot of cases before we start thinking about smiling we need to drag our fixed gaze away from the fretboard, acknowledge our surroundings and trust ourselves that we do know what we are playing and don't need to be looking at the fretboard in order to play the song right.....I still regularly remind myself of this when onstage

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1458502316' post='3008155']
Why not grab the mic and tell them all to stop staring at you because it's putting you off. That should fix it. jk.
[/quote]
[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1458511553' post='3008275']
Telling that you suffer from a non gender specific variant of RBF (resting bitch face)
[/quote]
[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1458514689' post='3008298']
I constantly smile whilst on stage when the singer doesn't forget the song format, the guitarist isn't retuning AGAIN and the drummer doesn't slow down.

So, a couple of times a night at least.
[/quote]

All of the above

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1458499252' post='3008101']
I'm more like the mother from the Partridge Family.
[/quote]

Phwooar! Eh? Eh? :gas:

I'm currently in a country band, so oscillating between wistful regret and full-on suicidal is a requirement. I'm doing quite well.

Edited by discreet

I know from pics and videos that I mostly look fairly stern/miserable. I try to alleviate it by taking enjoyment when others in the band play something cool. Otherwise, I don't bother. I'm trying my darndest to play the best I can, every time. Acting doesn't come into it. If I did corporate gigs for £250 a pop, maybe I'd make an effort.

I was once nobbled at the bar in the break by a girl accusing me of not looking happy, but she picked the wrong night. I very truthfully turned to her and said, "Well, I fell off my bike four days ago and broke two ribs, it hurts me to blink, and frankly I'd rather be in front of the telly with a shitload of Tramadol. Have you got any?"

She went away rather quickly, looking shocked :rolleyes:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Though I must admit, I played a private boat party yesterday for a load of charming theatre lovelies, and the ever-fragrant Juliet Stevenson was bopping about, and I strongly suspect I was grinning like a fool. [/font][/color]