Why become a member? ×

Trying to look a little more cheerful on stage :-/

Deedee

Hi all

Had another storming gig last night. Place was full, everybody rocking, good night all round.

However, had someone come up to me again and ask 'why don't you smile on stage, you look like you don't want to be there?'. Now I have had this said many times before, usually it's 'why do you look like you're about to jump off stage and hit somebody?'.

People who know me know that I'm a pretty fun loving guy who enjoys a good laugh, but it really is starting to concern me that punters who haven't seen us before just think 'it's that band with the miserable bass player'. I do try to show that I'm enjoying myself, it's just that I'm blessed with one of those faces which has a default look of disinterest!

Mean and moody, I'm doing very well.

Any tips?

I'm with you on this one. Been getting comments like that for years. I'm trying to smile a bit more and get involved up front with the singer and guitarist which seems to be working
Just so long you are comfortable with yourself that's the main thing. You can always reply that you are from the Bil Wyman / John Entwistle etc school of bass playing.
Edit. I find if try being more cheerful or involved I can loose concentration and mistakes happen.

Edited by mep

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1458477606' post='3007853']
If someone asks me that I just say nothing while glaring intensely at them. Remember to hold the glare as they're walking away to really hammer the point home.
[/quote]

😂 Maybe this one

I`m similar, though I do make the effort to smile a couple of times on-stage. Luckily as a pretty hard-hitting punk band smiley-smiley is not really expected, but I have had a couple of people mention that I seem to stare the audience out when playing, when in reality I`m just looking to see if they`re enjoying the band. I don`t want to come across as confrontational like that on-stage though, as if a band or band member is unapproachable, well it damages possible opportunities and the crowd may be less likely to talk to you and offer feedback. So every now and then, smiley smiley it is.

you don't have to smile to but make it look like you're enjoying yourself, moving around or even tapping you foot can do it, cool and moody might have worked for a young Bill Wyman etc, but we haven't all got front men like Mick Jagger, I seen bands that look like they would rather be somewhere else than doing the gig (and it's usually the bass player), it's not good, I always say if you don't look like you're enjoying it how can yo expect the audience too?
But you say you had a storming gig, so the band must be doing something right, are you all a bit miserable or is it just you?

I have a school photo taken when I was about 8. I thought I was smiling (but not grinning idiotically) but the photo shows an 8-year-old who has discovered the works of Jean-Paul Sartre*.

[size=3]*This didn't actually happen for another 10 years.[/size]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1458478992' post='3007866']
I`m similar, though I do make the effort to smile a couple of times on-stage. Luckily as a pretty hard-hitting punk band smiley-smiley is not really expected, but I have had a couple of people mention that I seem to stare the audience out when playing, when in reality I`m just looking to see if they`re enjoying the band. I don`t want to come across as confrontational like that on-stage though, as if a band or band member is unapproachable, well it damages possible opportunities and the crowd may be less likely to talk to you and offer feedback. So every now and then, smiley smiley it is.
[/quote]

Jeez being on the receiving end of a Lozz stare is not for the faint hearted..I can vouch for that 1st hand, and when he smiles after..its like....'yup, that one for lunch...goodie!!'
On the other hand I gurn like a loon all the time, mainly to try and hide the feeling of panic everytime I cock up!!!