Why become a member? ×

Trying to look a little more cheerful on stage :-/

Deedee

I'm not a generally smiley person at the best of times so when I'm concentrating on trying not to cock up on stage then it's not likely to happen much. However from a punters point of view it's never bothered me either, in fact there is little worse than the 'grinning idiot' look for me when it's clearly unnatural and put on.

I don't so much have "Resting Bitch Face" as "Resting Incipient Axe-murderer Face".

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1458482587' post='3007915']
I used to do amateur theatre stuff and remember that I knew when my expressions were right if the felt exaggerated and forced. If you feel as if you are grinning like an idiot on stage, then you have got it about right.
[/quote]

Ding ding ding, this is the winner! :D When you're on stage you are putting on an act while playing a gig. Aim for a bigger/louder version of yourself as people watching will generally respond much better to you if you're [b]visibly[/b] enthusiastic. I'm gently trying to get our guitarists to be more open as well, as they look like miserable b*ggers "au naturel" like myself!

YMMV. There may be live situations where this isn't the best approach, but for playing original material in club-sized venues enthusiasm really is infectious.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1458529147' post='3008333']
I always look like I'm bored, hating every second of it, and would rather be drinking the contents of my own bladder, than be on a stage playing bass. Mainly because I find it boring and I hate every second of it....

Seriously, I hate playing most gigs.....
[/quote]

Perhaps you should try a 5-string?

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1458567775' post='3008613']
...When you're on stage you are putting on an act while playing a gig. Aim for a bigger/louder version of yourself as people watching will generally respond much better to you if you're [b]visibly[/b] enthusiastic...
[/quote]

All well and good and I broadly agree, but everyone has to make a big effort to learn the material to the point where it can be played back to front, upside down and on one leg while facing east - underwater. What I mean is, [i]without having to think about it or look at your fretboard[/i]. Otherwise any, er... 'stagecraft' is likely to compromise the quality of the performance.

Edited by discreet

Mrs Zero keeps telling me I should look like I'm enjoying it. I am really, I'm just a naturally miserable looking person.

Incidentally, at the Moffat bass bash, the drummer who works with Colin Cunningham and also played with Dave Swift for the afternoon session looked like he's swallowed a whole bottle of Prozac.

Edited by tauzero

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1458568286' post='3008622']
All well and good and I broadly agree, but everyone has to make a big effort to learn the material to the point where it can be played back to front, upside down and on one leg while facing east - underwater. What I mean is, [i]without having to think about it or look at your fretboard[/i]. Otherwise any, er... 'stagecraft' is likely to compromise the quality of the performance.
[/quote]

I don't care how miserable I look, I'm NOT taking my bass underwater! :mellow:

I constantly look like a miserable bastard but my band plays quite a lot of upbeat funky silly music so it doesn't really work live. Although we've been told that because the guitarist goes nuts live then the contrast between us actually works. I should say as well that I love playing gigs. Otherwise I would have no reason to do them...god knows I don't do it for financial reasons.

Still wish I could smile from time to time.

Edited by Cameronj279

I thought I was pretty jolly on stage up until this weekend. I had a gig with a new band and there were some photos taken and basically I looked incredibly grumpy/miserable/moody in all of the photos and to add insult to injury I had some serious double chin going on.

I thought when I wasn't smiling I had a 'into the music, serious/mysterious look' on my face...sadly its more of a fat miserable b@stard look. My wife then confirmed I always look grumpy/angry on stage.

So I am practicing smiling and going on a serious diet as of today.

I get told the same thing even though I feel like i'm really having a great time on stage, it doesn't show on my face most of the time.
I'm gonna try this next gig :-)

[url="https://www.facebook.com/junior.groovador/videos/1659004251032235/"]https://www.facebook...59004251032235/[/url]

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1458573367' post='3008698']
[url="http://www.facebook.com/junior.groovador/videos/1659004251032235/"]https://www.facebook...59004251032235/[/url]
[/quote]

Aagghh! Where's the brain bleach?? :o

Edited by discreet

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1458561647' post='3008531']
This, it's very difficult to move around and not look at the fret board unless you're really familiar with the songs
[/quote]

This is why you practice isn't it? ;-)

[/quote]

TBH the vast majority of the time no-one in the audience will notice. I've played half a song a semi-tone flat on more than one occasion because the on-stage sound was terrible and it was too dark for me to see the side dots on my bass with my mirror shades on… Not a single person has ever come up to me (or any of the other members of the band) to complain about poor playing, but we get plenty of compliments about how impressive the performance was!

[/quote]

Agreed. Being able to play the material while doing your on-stage antics was unstated - don't do backflips if you can't play while doing so.

I do spend some time looking at the FB myself - I am no way perfect, believe me - but try to keep animated at the same time.

I do jig about a bit occasionally but it depends very much on whether I'm getting a good vibe from the audience or indeed if I have the energy to move my creaky old bones around. Being in a trio with a drummer and git/voc means I'm the only one that is able to move about much, so I do try to make an effort. I still look bloody miserable most of the time though - very rarely actually feel miserable though.

I always look as though someone has just plugged me into the mains when I start playing. My head jerks about, I pull faces, I move randomly. I've tried to control it and try to move in some kind of way that looks 'cool' but soon revert - I can't help it - so now just embrace it and let it happen. It might be better than standing still and gazing at the fretboard or not - but I can't do much about it :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1458575534' post='3008728']

TBH the vast majority of the time no-one in the audience will notice. I've played half a song a semi-tone flat on more than one occasion because the on-stage sound was terrible and it was too dark for me to see the side dots on my bass with my mirror shades on… Not a single person has ever come up to me (or any of the other members of the band) to complain about poor playing, but we get plenty of compliments about how impressive the performance was!
[/quote]some basschaters might look down their noses at this but it's got me out of trouble on dark stages (it's luminous sticky tape btw) sorry it's on a Fender :) [attachment=215171:DSCF0203.JPG]

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1458578208' post='3008766']
some basschaters might look down their noses at this but it's got me out of trouble on dark stages (it's luminous sticky tape btw) sorry it's on a Fender :) [attachment=215171:DSCF0203.JPG]
[/quote]

My Warwick Starbass is currently in the process of having [url=http://www.luminlay.com]Luminlay[/url] side markers fitted. Hopefully no more out-off tuneness on even the darkest of stages.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1458575534' post='3008728']

[/quote]ive had to stick big white dots on the side of my necks from hobbycraft, (50p for 300) .. Bloody lights.. Or lack of

I really enjoy playing, and I'm sure that it shows on my face. I'm buggered, therefore, to explain why in every single photo my face looks like this:

The next time someone says "it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile" will get the Bill Hicks answer - "It takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me the f*** alone! Now why don't you walk away and see me start to really smile" :D

Edited by sharkboy

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1458591862' post='3008962']
I really enjoy playing, and I'm sure that it shows on my face. I'm buggered, therefore, to explain why in every single photo my face looks like this:

The next time someone says "it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile" will get the Bill Hicks answer - "It takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me the f*** alone! Now why don't you walk away and see me start to really smile" :D
[/quote]

😂 I just might use that one

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1458492263' post='3008016']

I don't anymore, stopped gigging years ago, thank f***.
[/quote]

So what are you doing now?

Stories like yours make me grateful that I have always put a lot of thought into what bands I would join.

Out of 50 years I can only recall one bad band decision. However, I did learn from the experience and it never happened again.The band leader lived in this huge mansion. That should have been my first clue not to join.

Blue

[url="http://www.marshall-law-band.com/images/photos/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-21%20at%2018.30.14.png"]http://www.marshall-...%2018.30.14.png[/url]

That's either a smile or wind......cant quite remember which it was :(

Edited by Oopsdabassist

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1458610255' post='3009138']

So what are you doing now?

Stories like yours make me grateful that I have always put a lot of thought into what bands I would join.

Out of 50 years I can only recall one bad band decision. However, I did learn from the experience and it never happened again.The band leader lived in this huge mansion. That should have been my first clue not to join.

Blue
[/quote]

There was nothing wrong with the band, I just realised that I didn't enjoy gigging so I stopped doing it.
I don't really do anything now, after 37 years of playing I've almost completely lost interest in music.