Why become a member? ×

Backup Gear - Anyone take a spare cab with them?

Lozz196

It's the main reason I have a 2 cab rig. Currently have two 2x10s but have had two 1x12s in the past. Never actually had a faulty cab but have had a dodgy speakon that meant one cab not working during a gig. Was able to finish the set before hunting out a replacement lead.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1457281531' post='2997005']
It's the main reason I have a 2 cab rig. Currently have two 2x10s but have had two 1x12s in the past. Never actually had a faulty cab but have had a dodgy speakon that meant one cab not working during a gig. Was able to finish the set before hunting out a replacement lead.
[/quote]

+1

Being in two halves makes it easier to transport as well.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1457282113' post='2997011']
I bring an EBS Microbass DI, so if my amp or cab go down I can just DI the bass, I prefer having an amp, but in an emergency it would be fine just DI'd.
[/quote]

Yeah, the DI is the answer. A cab isn't something you see fail very often.

No way am I lugging a back up cab to a gig. Matter of fact I rareley gig with my big GK stack. I've been using my GK 1 15 combo.

Blue

Invest in good quality gear, have it serviced regularaly.
i used to take a few spare valves i had incase transit upset anything.... New amp is d class slow no need.
Spare battery in bass case, spare fuse for amp and kettle lead, di box for just incase, a few tools like allen keys and truss key just incase the climate is extreme, But thats it. Is it dont fit in the case it just dont keave the house :)
My gear is all good, my leads high quality.....
The only time ive seen things crap out is when they are pushed too hard, know the limitations if your gear!

Edited by Wonky2

My cab has 2 speakon connectors so I'd be surprised if it failed. I have a DI on my amp though and one in a Markbass Super Booster on my effects board too so feel reasonably confident I'm covered. The only recent failure we had was our mixing desk but we put vocals through my backup amp (Streamliner) and they sounded great.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1457289453' post='2997077']
Yeah but you have two 4x10's so surely in the event of a speaker failure you still have the one cab option?
[/quote]

Yes, but it isn't there as a backup. If they made a 2 ohm cab, I'd only take the one.

Depends upon the gig but if it's a long way from home or a big event I take my Hartke kickback as spare, it works as my monitor and has a DI out so can feed the PA.

the rest of the time I have the mixer amp salvaged from a Yamaha Stagepas set up. This gives me a four channel mixer, spare PA amp and spare bass amp if needed. I suppose in an emergency even one of the guitards could use it with a pedal or two. It's my gigging swiss army knife :)

So far I've never needed either.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1457292966' post='2997115']
Not everyone plays in a band with a PA capable of delivering bass to FOH via a DI though, or monitors to cope either.
[/quote]

That's one of The first things I would ask prospective bands.

Do you own or *rent a pro level PA. That's a deal breaker for me.

Blue

* In Milwaukee most agencies evolved from sound and lighting companies and the bands would essentially be renting sound and it's expensive. Kind of a racket like anything else.

I've heard stories of bands being told it was a 2k gig and find out later it was a 3k gig.Wonder where that other grand went?

Edited by blue