Why become a member? ×

Double Albums That Work and the One That Don't

spectoremg

For me most double albums either run out of ideas on side four (or three)! or include some padding. A lot of them missed out on the CD 70/80 minute format where those filler tracks would have been left out. Occasionally though they're packed with great stuff.
Rules:
1. Albums of original material - no compilations.
2. No live albums (see 1.).
3. As many suggestions as you like.

Works: Don Juan's Reckless Daughter/Joni Mitchell. Actually quite a short album and probably stretched to four sides for sonic excellence.
Don't: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway/Genesis. Maybe it's just me but I've always enjoyed the first half of this more than the second.
And it pains me to say it because the previous three were so good but Songs in the Key of Life/Stevie Wonder. Some of those outros outstay their welcome.

Tales of topographic oceans - Yes.....utter sh*t besides about 10 minutes (should have been a single!)

I actually love The Lamb..even the noodling and I think The Wall holds it's own too so they both work for me

Stadium Arcadium.

Barely enough decent tracks to fill an EP.

Edit.

Really struggling to think of a double album that's solid gold all the way through, especially as the rules disqualify live albums.

Edited by Cato

Couldn't disagree more about Lamb... when I play it I play it all.

Yes' Tales... I love apart from part 3. They even stopped performing that part it live (citing difficulty) whilst performing the others. I actually think that three parts on one CD actually works better (I burnt my own version like this).

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1457112853' post='2995544']
Stadium Arcadium.

Barely enough decent tracks to fill an EP.

Edit.

Really struggling to think of a double album that's solid gold all the way through, especially as the rules disqualify live albums.
[/quote]

I've received mucho stick when I've said the same thing about this album. It has made me happy that I'm not alone :lol:

I agree re: The Lamb. It's great, but a few minutes with the scissors and it could have been greater.

Also on Genesis, We Can't Dance could have been [i]just about[/i] [i]a decent single album.[/i]

SImilarly, Eagles: Long Road Out of Eden. There's nearly a single LPs worth of good tunes on it. Nearly.

TBH, most of the doubles I listen to these days are live albums.

[quote name='Colonel36' timestamp='1457115055' post='2995564']
The BEATLES
White Album.
[/quote]George Martin tried to persuade them just to release a great single one instead and with tracks like Revolution No 9, Why Don't We Do it in the Road, and Piggies who could argue with him

I think that these are the only double albums that I have. They all work for me:
1- The Wall
2- Cats
3- Evita

Disallowed, but an honourable mention
4- Now That's What I Call Music 1. It transports me back to the early 80s and I love every song, however naff.

Edited by colgraff

Focus III - works, apart from the bass solo which is so low you can't hear it, and isn't much cop if you turn it up.

I'm another one who's happy with Lamb Lies Down.

I suppose I can't count doublebacks like Tyrannosaurus Rex's Beard of Stars/Unicorn and My people were fair/Prophets, seers, and sages...

War of the Worlds has the top spot for me (the original, not the recent debacle). It just flows beautifully. The Guns & Roses Use Your Illusion, double, double album farce takes the wooden spoon... they could have made a legendary single album, and a worthy successor to Appetite... but no.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457115721' post='2995580']
I actually think stadium arcadium is ok, but its just ok,it would have been a better 13 track album.
[/quote]
Agree. I reckon there are 12 very good tunes that would have made for a terrific record

The Clash 'London Calling' and Red Hot Chili Peppers 'Blood Sugar Sex Magic' are both double albums tat totally work, in my opinion. No flab on either of them, 'BSSM' in particular makes me feel like I've been on some kind of journey.

I'm a big Ryan Adams fan, and despite Ryan's love of the double album I think he rarely gets it wrong. 'Gold', 'Cold Roses' and 'Love Is Hell' are all masterpieces I think (although 'LIH' wad originally two single albums.

I'm also a big Manics fan, and whilst I love the youthful arrogance and ambition of releasing a double album as your debut, I think 'Generation Terrorists' would be been a much more coherent album if it was a few songs shorter, and yes I'm with George Martin on The White Album.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1457114855' post='2995560']
The only double album that I still listen to regularly is not allowed on this thread, as it is a live one.

[/quote]

Yep, me too. I was thinking of Made in Japan.

I know it's a bit obvious, but I'd have to say The White Album and Physical Graffiti.

As for ones that don't we work, I not sure
But for one that got away, I'd have to suggest Ogden's Nut Gone Flake by the Small Faces. There are so many tracks on it that should have been longer IMHO.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1457117782' post='2995602']
War of the Worlds has the top spot for me (the original, not the recent debacle). It just flows beautifully.

The Guns & Roses Use Your Illusion, double, double album farce takes the wooden spoon... they could have made a legendary single album, and a worthy successor to Appetite... but no.
[/quote]

Makes me realise just how few double albums I have/listen to...

[b]Works:[/b] Jeff Wayne's WotW is deffo up there. As would be the soundtrack album for Star Wars. Not Star Wars A New Hope... STAR WARS... But that's another thread entirely.

Songs In The Key Of Life just scrapes in if you ignore some of the slightly questionable choices like the sound effects all over Isn't She Lovely.

[b]Wanting:[/b] The White Album definitely. ELP's Works, Physical Graffiti, Tales from Topographic Oceans. All perfectly decent single albums padded and stretched...

Edited by TrevorR

Another vote for The Who - not only Quadrophenia but also Tommy (which I've always preferred).

I'm undecided about Scott Walker's [i]The Drift. [/i]It's brilliantly dark, macabre stuff, but does it needs to fill two LPs? Every time I put it on, I come away thinking the length is justified, so I'll probably put it on the 'yes' list after much umming and ah-ing.

I'm afraid I'll have to chalk a vote against [i]Physical Graffiti,[/i] but I think that's more to do with Zeppelin generally than its length. For a long time I've found most of the albums after LZ IV quite uninspiring overall. (Though I have begun to doubt whether I actually enjoy Led Zeppelin full stop...)