Why become a member? ×

What do you call yourself?

colgraff

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456133683' post='2985581']
Yes, why would anyone care?

If I said to someone in possession of, for example, a Fender Precision bass 'so, you're the bass guitarist' and they replied 'no, I am a bassist, it's not a guitar', I would think 'what a pompous twat!'
[/quote]

Well, I own an actual bass guitar, the Fender Bass VI. That is actually a bass guitar with it's etymology in the guitar. The traditional Bass Guitar is a cross between a traditional Contrabass and a guitar with it's etymology more in contrabass than guitar.

So if I get called Bass Guitarist the pedant in me silently winces and I don't show it. I say, "yes" because otherwise, you will indeed, look like a knob.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456133683' post='2985581']

Yes, why would anyone care?

If I said to someone in possession of, for example, a Fender Precision bass 'so, you're the bass guitarist' and they replied 'no, I am a bassist, it's not a guitar', I would think 'what a pompous twat!'
[/quote]

This.
Unfortunately playing an instrument of some sort & being a pompous twat all too often go hand in hand.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1456134253' post='2985589']
Well, I own an actual bass guitar, the Fender Bass VI ...
[/quote]

The Bass VI is unusual and does historically use the word 'guitar' [in fact 'Electric Bass Guitar'] on the headstock. The Squier version, which I have, does not say that.

Fender guitars, e.g. Stratocasters, Telecasters, Mustangs, Coronados, etc., do not use the word 'guitar' on the headstocks.

Another groundhog argument :lol:

My 2p is: Leo called it a bass 'guitar' on his patent application. I see no reason to argue with the man who developed our modern instrument.
Added to which, 'bass' is its voice. If you told an orchestral musician that you played 'bass', he'd say "Bass [i]what[/i]? Clarinet? Saxophone?"
The term 'electric bass' doesn't work because I also have an acoustic bass (a guitar as opposed to a bass viol)
So personally, I am a bass guitarist.

As stated, this is just my 2p and YMMV.

I've never let it bother me...so I was a bit surprised when I first saw a thread about this over at TB, and the strong opinions being hurled back and forth! Bassist, bass player, bass guitarist, "the weird one," I'm quite happy with all of them. Yes, the instrument's role is entirely different from that of a conventional guitar, but then you wouldn't ask a double bass player if he or she played the same thing as the violinist or the cellist.

(I have even been known to refer to "the guitars" when loading up the van, referring to our guitarist's and to my bass guitars...heresy, I know.)

[size=5][quote name='paul h' timestamp='1456138348' post='2985678'][/size]
[size=5]I've changed my mind.[/size]

[size=5]I think I will go for "failed musician".[/size]
[size=5][/quote][/size]

[size=5]Lol! Me too, I'll go for...[/size]

[size=5]Wannabe musician. [/size]