Why become a member? ×

What do you call yourself?

colgraff

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1456169234' post='2986229']
If you told an orchestral musician you played bass, he or she would know EXACTLY what you meant. It's a bass. I'm a bass player.
[/quote]
Yes you're right. Said orchestral player would probably know (or at least [i]think[/i]) you meant this.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456158446' post='2986046']
Here we go with basswoman Megan Davies ... wouldn't embed so here's the link ... [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yRxDKAYwlM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=_yRxDKAYwlM[/url]

[media]http://youtu.be/_yRxDKAYwlM[/media]
[/quote]

Ah y'see? Basswoman does NOT work.She is a bass player.Or maybe bassgirl,or basslassie,........

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456135118' post='2985610']
I actually don't care what we call it or ourselves but here's the US Patent for a BASS GUITAR ...

... and another one doesn't even use the word BASS ...

[/quote]

I think I [s]want [/s] need one of these - essential for all bass players/bassists etc

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1456132593' post='2985568']
I beg to differ, it is a guitar, it's a bass guitar. And I play one. I don't care what I'm called, unless somebody ignorantly spells it 'base'.
[/quote]

Agreed, it's a bass guitar and it has more in common with an electric guitar than a double bass.'

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1456465392' post='2989261']
Agreed, it's a bass guitar and it has more in common with an electric guitar than a double bass.'

Blue
[/quote]

Yes that's true aesthetically, but the notes you play and the roll you fulfill in a band has far more in common with the double bass than it does the guitar.

I regard the electric bass as a portable, easily amplified alternative to the double bass.

... also that precision patent pic is awesome, I'm going to get something similar made up at the weekend.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1456473029' post='2989295']

Yes that's true aesthetically, but the notes you play and the roll you fulfill in a band has far more in common with the double bass than it does the guitar.

I regard the electric bass as a portable, easily amplified alternative to the double bass.

... also that precision patent pic is awesome, I'm going to get something similar made up at the weekend.
[/quote]

Good point, can't argue that one.

Hey, thanks. I'm not much for home decorating but the Fender Bass Patent pic looks nice in the kitchen area of my condo.

Blue

[/quote]

Which is exactly what it is. It's Bass Guitar as in a mash up of a Contrabass and a Guitar. String spacings etc all give that away, Whereas something like the Bass VI is a Bass Guitar as in the bass version of a guitar. Same name, different reasons.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1456527578' post='2990145']

So strictly speaking, surely [i]this[/i] is an 'electric bass'..? :)

[/quote]

Yes that's true... Any idea when the EUB was invented / came into popular usage? If it was before the bass guitar I wonder why it isn't the more popular instrument now?

Obviously the bass guitar being guitar shaped helps with moving around on stage etc too. It's just a more convenient package for an instrument to play bass lines on.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1456561149' post='2990232']
Yes that's true... Any idea when the EUB was invented / came into popular usage? If it was before the bass guitar I wonder why it isn't the more popular instrument now?
[/quote]

Rickenb*cker's Electro Bass Viol from 1936.

[url="http://www.vintageguitar.com/3399/rickenbacker-electro-bass/"]http://www.vintageguitar.com/3399/rickenbacker-electro-bass/[/url]

They must have forgotten about it otherwise the Hall family would be chasing NS, BSX, and the others for royalties or to shut them down.

... the notes you play and the roll you fulfill in a band has far more in common with the double bass than it does the guitar.

[/quote]

That's why it's called a BASS guitar.

[/quote]

.. an easily amplified alternative to the double bass ...

Edited by EssentialTension