Why become a member? ×

Rio Isolated Bass Track - is it John Taylor?

spectoremg

If that's the genuine track from Rio then it's John Taylor. 100%

In a previous life I was once in a band signed to Duran Durans' managers' publishing company (Tritec) so know a bit of the background of what went on in those early days.

The John Taylor/Bernard Edwards thing often comes up due to the recording of the Power Station album and the documentary of the making of the album showing John being coached (produced) by Bernard Edwards - "Ha, JT can't play, it was Bernard wot dun it.. etc." which is nonsense.

A number of the 80s pop acts were terrific players - Duran, Culture Club, Nick Kershaw, Kajagoogoo to name but a few - but were/are scrutinised to the point of disbelieving they were actually any good because guys who make pop records can't play, right?

Wrong.

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 2

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1452339208' post='2948985']
It`s amazing how gnarly/middy/gainy it is in isolation, and yet how warm but clean it comes across in the mix.
[/quote]I find that with isolated bass track - maybe they lose something in translation. The James Jamerson one doing the rounds last year was the same.

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1452338440' post='2948977']
If that's the genuine track from Rio then it's John Taylor. 100%

In a previous life I was once in a band signed to Duran Durans' managers' publishing company (Tritec) so know a bit of the background of what went on in those early days.

The John Taylor/Bernard Edwards thing often comes up due to the recording of the Power Station album and the documentary of the making of the album showing John being coached (produced) by Bernard Edwards - "Ha, JT can't play, it was Bernard wot dun it.. etc." which is nonsense.

A number of the 80s pop acts were terrific players - Duran, Culture Club, Nick Kershaw, Kajagoogoo to name but a few - but were/are scrutinised to the point of disbelieving they were actually any good because guys who make pop records can't play, right?

Wrong.
[/quote]Many thanks for your informed reply. There were some great players around in those days.

Great track from a very good band. This was one of my favourite bass lines from this era.

I often wondered though how JT could switch from the plectrum groove to the slap line live (which he obviously doesn't do in the studio recording). I used to manage it easily enough, but as a non plectrum player I switched from plucking to slapping.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1452339208' post='2948985']
It`s amazing how gnarly/middy/gainy it is in isolation, and yet how warm but clean it comes across in the mix.
[/quote]

Possibly to do with the juxtaposition of bass and kick drum, which is front and centre in the chorus.

Edit: Forgot how busy this line is! What with 'less is more' minimalism over the last few years, and the propensity for pop music to have sparse synth bass holding the bottom end, it sounds WELL manic! Really propels the song along at a breakneck pace, though.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1452338440' post='2948977']

Wrong.
[/quote]

Absolutely, I think some bands around that time got tarred with an unwarranted brush.

It's a masterful, inventive piece of bass playing and discreet's right, it drive the tune like a rocket.

I love it :)

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1452348644' post='2949124']
He was possibly running out of steam....lol..
[/quote]

Aaaah, is that why they kept popping off to the bathroom...? To get some more [i]steam[/i]....I see....

;)

Edited by ahpook

I always like isolated tracks makes me feel much better about my playing. Kinda reminds me that bass like nearly all instruments isn't perfect in its sounds you will hear, other little noises fret buzz, finger noise etc are present. The isolated track of pump it up is another good example, sounds perfect in the mix but lots of other noises clanking etc in isolation.
I also like to hear recordings before there messed about with too.

I think Duran Duran used to play up to that 'can barely play their instruments' image a bit.

I remember an interview with Simon le Bon years ago where he said none of them could play when they started. I think it might of been them (or possibly another 80s band?) who claimed that they learnt their first three chords from a magazine article on how to be a rock star.

Either they were overstating their complete beginner status or they got a lot better at their instruments very quickly.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1452350195' post='2949154']
I think Duran Duran used to play up to that 'can barely play their instruments' image a bit.

I remember an interview with Simon le Bon years ago where he said none of them could play when they started. I think it might of been them (or possibly another 80s band?) who claimed that they learnt their first three chords from a magazine article on how to be a rock star.

Either they were overstating their complete beginner status or they got a lot better at their instruments very quickly.
[/quote]Andy Taylor was no slouch on the guitar either. However I've yet to be convinced that Nick Rhodes has ever plugged his Jupiter 8 in! :unsure:

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1452347610' post='2949114']
Was it played with a plectrum?
Planet Earth was and still is but he plays Rio fingerstyle now.
If BE had played the original I think it would have been tighter tbh. JT's a nice player but he's no Nick Beggs :-)
[/quote]

Sounds like fingers to me.
It's one of those lines that's just really natural to play fingerstyle.