Why become a member? ×

Rio Isolated Bass Track - is it John Taylor?

spectoremg

Not convinced that's the real deal. It's well played generally, but goes out of time in places.

Great bass line though.

As others have said though, I love hearing isolated bass tracks (originals) as it really shows that things really do get tidied up in the mix!

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1452338440' post='2948977']
The John Taylor/Bernard Edwards thing often comes up due to the recording of the Power Station album and the documentary of the making of the album showing John being coached (produced) by Bernard Edwards - "Ha, JT can't play, it was Bernard wot dun it.. etc." which is nonsense.
[/quote]

The mind boggles to wonder which bass guitarists wouldn't benefit from some coaching by Bernie Edwards.

Not being massively up on Bernard's bass style but did he play anything with that kind of sound to it? The Chic songs I know all had a very different tone to them, I thought Bernard played this kind of line with thumb playing the low strings and finger picking the higher strings hence why there is only one you tube cover of Everybody Dance where the guy gets close to that Bernard tone and that is by playing that way.

My friend is a huge Bernard Edwards fan and has spent years trying to emulate his style, I have to admit when he played me the cover alongside the original is was the only one that came close

I think it was JT playing the line it just fits with all the other Duran Duran song IMO

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1452367925' post='2949367']

The mind boggles to wonder which bass guitarists wouldn't benefit from some coaching by Bernie Edwards.
[/quote]
Indeed. John Taylor was a huge Bernard Edwards fan.

I think all the "John Taylor doesn't actually play the bass lines" stuff began when, as producer, Bernard Edwards added a couple of bits of bass to Get It On when putting together the Power Station album.

I'm always impressed with any musician who puts the song first.. and why not utilise the talents of one of the best funk bass players ever to add to the song in the way that Bernard Edwards did.

On a similar theme I always liked Curt Smith's playing in Tears For Fears but he stood aside to allow Pino to do his thing on Badman's Song for the sake of the track.

• Like 1

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1452366242' post='2949343']
Sounds like fingers to me.
[/quote]

I don't think he'd have been able to play that line with fingers at the time.
It is an easier pick line and also the sound.

I'd be very surprised if the core part was fingers at the recording.
It is pretty scrappy in places as it is, but it isn't an easy line either.
He may play it fingers now to a track tho.

Crikey what a great bass part!!

My thought on JT was that he played with fingers with the occasional pops. As epitomised on Girls on Film. Not sure whether this is pick or fingers. Very gnarly sound.

I like his playing - had certain elements which gave him a unique style. On an Aria?

Edited by drTStingray

A very good mate of mine was Duran Durans stage manager for yonks and one of the things he told me was how good they were / are as players.
He also told me that one of their games was to understate their abilities deliberately to wind up the session guys. :)
Don't know the truth of that and I can't check because he's gone now.
RIP John.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1452380018' post='2949519]

On a similar theme I always liked Curt Smith's playing in Tears For Fears but he stood aside to allow Pino to do his thing on Badman's Song for the sake of the track.
[/quote]That album's credits reads like a rock family tree!

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1452380018' post='2949519']
[/quote]

I really likes Curt Smith's playing on the first Tears For Fears album.
Never liked anything they did after that, they changed completely.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1452427264' post='2949776']
Crikey what a great bass part!!

My thought on JT was that he played with fingers with the occasional pops. As epitomised on Girls on Film. Not sure whether this is pick or fingers. Very gnarly sound.

I like his playing - had certain elements which gave him a unique style. On an Aria?
[/quote]

He's a good player, and was a good player from the first track on the first album.
He's used lots of different basses over the years (Ricks, Wals, Kubickis, Peaveys) but was favouring Aria SB models at the time, which are very toppy, aggressive sounding basses. Play that line fingerstyle on an SB & that's what it sounds like.

Another thing that was prevalent if recording at that time was that engrs liked the cleanest track and
this meant they wanted pick parts if they could get them.
John Taylor never had a classic slap style then either so the pulls could have been off a pick part.

Whether DD had the 'clout' at that time or experience to go against a call/suggestion to play it with a pick
might have been a factor.

I guess we will never know...

JT said in an interview that he was glad he had 6 months of practice of Rio before he had too do it in the studio. Can't for the life of remember what interview or documentary he said that on, but he definitely said it.
And when he has played it unaccompanied on various things I've seen he always sounds like the clip in question.

I learned this line to try and impress the girls I was at school with (turned out they liked John Taylor for other reasons). I almost always played with fingers and this line was no exception - and it was possible.

This performance is from around the same time and JT appears to be using fingers here:

http://youtu.be/T4dKTblXrF4

I'm pretty sure it's JT, even if it gets scrappy towards the end. Most of these isolated bass parts reveal scrappy or out of time playing - even the ones from the likes of Geddy Lee. That's part of where the energy in performance comes from in my opinion (as opposed to the trend amongst some to quantise everything until it loses all sense of feeling). When deciding to go with a take, you'd listen in context with the other instruments (drums especially) rather than how the bassline sat on its own. The fact that so many untidy performances both in sound and execution have ended up on very successful recordings demonstrates that the part doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to fit in a pleasing way.

Edited by jonsmith

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452436716' post='2949892']
Another thing that was prevalent if recording at that time was that engrs liked the cleanest track and
this meant they wanted pick parts if they could get them.
John Taylor never had a classic slap style then either so the pulls could have been off a pick part.

Whether DD had the 'clout' at that time or experience to go against a call/suggestion to play it with a pick
might have been a factor.

I guess we will never know...
[/quote]

Just had another listen - there is at least one drop in, maybe more.
But, 'drop ins' we're always around, long before copy and paste.

Always liked this from the Rio album.. http://youtu.be/25m4P72FK6E

I think the bass line was actually played by Mark King using a plectrum belonging to Derek Forbes, along to a sequenced track put together by Rick Wakeman from Keith Emerson's sweat..

John Taylor was too busy applying blusher and chasing women to actually take part in proceedings.

RhysP: most of the arpeggiated parts were Jupiter 4 rather than 8. A very different synth from the later 6 and 8, quite limited voice architecture in comparison but the 4 is still a great synth. I own one, and if I could only keep one instrument then it'd be the JP4 rather than any of my basses!

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1452441099' post='2949945']
I think the bass line was actually played by Mark King using a plectrum belonging to Derek Forbes, along to a sequenced track put together by Rick Wakeman from Keith Emerson's sweat..
[/quote]

Rubbish, it was Carol Kaye.

Rio, Girls on Film, Bad Boys...those synth stabs on A view to a kill ?

Carol Kaye.

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 1

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1452442035' post='2949952']
RhysP: most of the arpeggiated parts were Jupiter 4 rather than 8. A very different synth from the later 6 and 8, quite limited voice architecture in comparison but the 4 is still a great synth. I own one, and if I could only keep one instrument then it'd be the JP4 rather than any of my basses!
[/quote]

I didn't know it was a 4.
I'm well aware of the differences between them though, I've owned a 6 & an 8 in the past.

:rolleyes: this is me rolling my eyes in mild disbelief that anybody could possibly think that BE would be so .... (frankly) sloppy

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

quick edit before the lynch mob arrives - i [i][b]dont[/b][/i] dislike it - great to play and great to listen to Edited by steve-bbb