Why become a member? ×

The best rig you've ever had but...

ChunkyMunky

When I was looking after distribution of Tech Sound Systems (Tecamp) back in the Early 90's I had one of their 6 x 12" cabs and a Parametric head.... played with a 5 string neck though Warwick Thumb. It was an immense sound but controlled and in line with that elusive bass sound I had in my head.

Was no good for smaller gigs though

For me the best amp/cabs and best bass I ever sold, I owned at different times so never got to use them together but would have been Trace Elliot AH400SMX into the 410 and 115 cabs and the bass would have been my German Warwick Streamer Stage 1 5 string.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452340272' post='2948998']
Quite a few of those examples would have disqualified it as best ever
[/quote]
I sold my Dynacord because I needed a louder rig. I sold the Boogie because of weight related injury.

So in my experience there are valid reasons for selling the best gear you've ever owned.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452345661' post='2949081']
I sold my Dynacord because I needed a louder rig. I sold the Boogie because of weight related injury.

So in my experience there are valid reasons for selling the best gear you've ever owned.
[/quote]

Not for me...yet.

But I do have two rigs to cater for all my needs so I'm not looking to carry larger cabs up a flight of stairs...
but if I thought the gig warranted it I would.

It wouldn't be a massive obstacle.. but sure I'd spec the gig before deciding.
What makes is a best rig..?? carry..? weight..? Not for me.
They are considerations, that is all.
The best rig is the best rig soundwise which includes tone and volume.requirements

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452333252' post='2948886']
I currently have the best 2 rigs I've ever owned sitting in the room behind me so, of the gear I've sold, I have a dead heat between my 80's-90's rig a Dynacord BS412 115 combo and my 90's-00's rig an Ampeg SVT3 PRO through Mesa Boogie 210 & 115 cabs. These all used EV speakers, sounded like a force of nature and weighed as much as a small planet!

Unusually for me I was actually sad when I sold these rigs.
[/quote]

Those Dynacord combo's are fantastic.
I had a chance of getting one when I bought my Trace rig many years ago. With hindsight I really wish I'd gone for the Dynacord.

Edited by RhysP

In recent years weight has become the deciding factor so its Sadowsky NYC (7lb)[color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1] →[/size][/font][/color]Kustom KXB500[color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1] →[/size][/font][/color]Berg CN212 and it just so happens that this is the best rig I have ever used.

One of Noddy Holder's Hiwatt 200 heads and one of his 4 x 12 Hiwatt cabs, reinforced with a Marshall 2 x 15 (respeakered).

Very loud, very big, very heavy. Turned out that amps age coupled with it's sparse use meant that it was a huge risk to use it without a fair amount of maintenance and a lot more use to keep it in fit.

Easy to reminisce about gear long gone but I'd have to say:

Rig: EBS HD350 into a Neo 212 cab or Trace Elliott 715 combo.
Basses: either of the 2x Status King Basses (should never have sold either) or the Green Overwater custom Jazz which I sold only because I wasn't playing it. The right thing to have done was to play it!!

Joydee P copy in black with maple neck. Orange 120 head and Orange 4x10 cab. Looked and sounded the nuts. This was around 1984.

The bass was stolen. A value went in the amp and I foolishly swapped it and the cab for some crappy H&H combo that eventually blew up. I had to start all over again and it took a while to get up to my Charvel and TNT 150 rig that I used for some years. I still have the Charvel but the TNT is long gone.

Edited by mep

The gear I have now. :)

For gigs: Limelight Precision into Elgen 100W head into Barefaced RETRO210.

The Elgen is heavy so sometimes I use the TB500 head instead although it's not as good as the Elgen, IMHO, of course.

For recording: Ampeg B15N with Limelight and Sansamp VT Bass DI.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1452355584' post='2949221']
Easy to reminisce about gear long gone but I'd have to say:

Rig: EBS HD350 into a Neo 212 cab
[/quote]

That's my current set-up, and it is superb; I'd probably go as far as saying the best ever, however I'd need to A/B it with the EBS Mk 1 Fafner and Proline 4x10 I used to have to be sure, as that was just fantastic.

As far as basses go, I think currently have the best I've ever had too with my G&L L2500 and SB2, however my old Mayones custom Be4 was an excelent instrument, and sounded brilliant through the Fafner/ cermaic 4x10

Ashdown BTA200 into two Barefaced Super Compacts.

Sold the BTA as it was too big and heavy for my puny human arms, sold the SCs to raise money for my wedding (2 weeks to go, eek!) and house move. That said I'd get more SCs in a heartbeat if I had the money; the BTA would be replaced with an ABM500/600 or even the CTM100 I currently have :)