Why become a member? ×

Storing basses in attic?

TPTroll

Hi

Space is at a bit of a premium at my house, and I'm looking to store some of my less precious basses in the attic. They'd be in hard cases, and near the entrance to the loft. Loft is partly insulated not the roof section, just the bottom.

Is this an absolute no no, or given how mild our climate is getting, ok?

I know I'd have to slacken strings while in storage, store flat, and let them settle once back in the house.

Thanks

I wouldn't slacken the strings personally... they act against the truss rod and without that load you may get issues with the neck bending, especially is the temperature / humidity is a bit erratic up in the loft.

On the plus side if you have any siblings with children they can sell your basses on ebay in years to come as the famed "found in an uncles loft" instruments.

I've stored basses all over the place.

What they HATE is rapid change, in temperature or in humidity or in both.

If your loft is well insulated (i.e. externally against the roof, not internally against the rest of the house) so things only change slowly, then you should have no trouble, especially if all the basses are in hard cases.

If your loft changes with the weather, then I wouldn't even consider storing instruments there.

Just no.
My 63 Precision had been stored in a loft. The (refin) paint was peeling off in strips,
and the frets were green. Took a fair bit of sorting out, fortunately the neck hadn't warped.
Maybe source a relative or good friend with some space in a spare room?

I looked into this myself a little while ago and concluded that storing wooden instruments in an attic is generally a bad idea.

The two factors that will mess up are changes in humidity and temperature. They can cope with cold slightly better than heat; it's the summer months when your attic will become a Balti oven that are going to wreak havoc and result in banana-necks.

Be warned! ;)