Why become a member? ×

A Very Special song growing up in the 80's.

bubinga5

Like any decade what we think is good or bad is simply down to individual taste.

I personally don't care for the song in the OP but that doesn't mean that all music from the decade was awful. In fact I bet that every single forum member could find at least one record they like from the decade made by an artist that was at at their creative peak then.

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1443606866' post='2876093']
From my earlier post:

[media]http://youtu.be/ja8WduMfv5I[/media]
[/quote]

I'm no Hucknall fan, but that is a wonderful bit of song placement there. Suits the scene perfectly.

Incidentally, the only time I've really enjoyed Simply Red was the time I was having an ingrowing toenail removed in hospital. I had some sedative or other running in the back of my hand so I was fully away in happy land, and what 'Stars' came on the radio I started hallucinating to the music. I can remember singing along too, in my confused state. Lord knows what the surgeon thought.

• Haha 1

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443613191' post='2876195']
Well it's a bit rich to claim that album for the 80s.

In that case, can I have Abbey Road?
[/quote]

Well, I caught up with it in the eighties (or rather, my thirties...). When was Schubert released..? [i]That [/i]made the seventies (or rather, my twenties...) for me much more liveable.
Abbey Road was pretty good, too.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1443615618' post='2876235']

I'm no Hucknall fan, but that is a wonderful bit of song placement there. Suits the scene perfectly.

[/quote]

It certainly had an effect on my nine year old self :)

I didn't mind that song. Not a lover or hater of Simply Red, but they do have some good grooves & Fugly bloke is a great singist.

My 80s were more stuff like Talking Heads, Jean Michel Jarre, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, The Cure & Marillion.

• Like 1

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1443615414' post='2876229']
Like any decade what we think is good or bad is simply down to individual taste.

I personally don't care for the song in the OP but that doesn't mean that all music from the decade was awful. In fact I bet that every single forum member could find at least one record they like from the decade made by an artist that was at at their creative peak then.
[/quote]

Damned right BRX.
The 80s had fantastic music, just none of it ever got in the charts.

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1443628374' post='2876419']
I beg to differ. XTC's [i]Senses Working Overtime[/i] made it to No. 5. in 1982. ;)
[/quote]

I have to say that I agree - the early 80s with post-punk and the late 80s with acid house was where innovative non-mainstream music was able to make it into the charts.

I was 7. Music meant absolutely nothing to me then - my folks were listening to Irish Country music mostly, which was, without exception, awful! Only really took an interest in music later in the 80's when "Appetite for Destruction" appeared.

Special tune from the early 80's that stuck out for me was probably Paul Young "Wherever I Lay My Hat"... born bass player me... Couldn't have told you what was making "that" sound at the time though!

Not a huge fan of Simply Red but my wife's mad about good old Mick. I was forced to watch them live from Montreaux on Sky Arts a few weeks ago (she's a Rugby widow at the minute so I wasn't too put out). Some of the "tunes" are just directionless dirge. A few highlights like "Stars" (to which my wife always cries cos it reminds her of the Richard E. Grant flick Jack and Sarah), but on the whole a pretty dreary affair. Tune in question isn't the worst by a LONG way...

As a song, it was ok and nor certainly something I hated.
Although playing it in function bands, was a boring experience.
A tune that just didn't go anywhere, especially at the end of a long evening,
when it was hard to keep your eyes open.
But on the other hand - Just stand there and think of the cheque.
:D

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1443692453' post='2876887']
My personal favourite band from the 80s (apart from us ;)) was the Cocteau Twins

Simply Red were never on my radar
[/quote]

Though, curiously, Chris Joyce and Tony Bowers of Simply Red were both previously members of The Durutti Column, who are often compared to the Cocteaus. ;)

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1443695328' post='2876907']
Though, curiously, Chris Joyce and Tony Bowers of Simply Red were both previously members of The Durutti Column, who are often compared to the Cocteaus. ;)
[/quote]

Let's face it though. None of the members of the Durutti Column other than Vini Reilly were really important.