Why become a member? ×

World's greatest rockstar - not Kanye, but who tho?

bassbiscuits

Who 'owned' Glastonbury this year? Certainly not Kayne, who just tries too hard and whose ego is bigger than his actual talent.

My standout performances from Glasto were in no particular order: Marcos Valle, Motorhead, The Who, George Clinton and gang, Burt Bacharach and Lionel Ritche!!

all oldies.... of the newbies I liked Mick Ronsons white boy funk and Everything Everything, the rest was just average including a shouty Paul Weller

Tricky one, because you are asking who is the '[u]World's[/u] Greatest' but we are looking at it from a UK/European centric point of view and what we see as being big [u]here[/u].

I travelled in South America a few years ago, rock t-shirts everywhere. Have a look at AC/DC playing some of their South American shows and just watch that crowd jump.

I'm not saying Brian Johnson is the worlds greatest rock star btw, just that although some of the UK hipsters will have you believe that rock is past it, I think that there are large parts of the world that have more sense (and probably more fun.)

It's the oldies ain't it? Whichever way we look, the best true rockstars at the moment are the old ones.

I'd throw in Jagger, Richards, Springsteen, Sting, Daltrey, Townsend, McCartney, Jon Bon Jovi easily into that list of bona fide superstars.

Just hope that in 10 years time we've got enough younger guys reaching that legendary status to be able headline the big festivals eh.

I'd like to think anyone who inspires and makes people want to play an instrument is pretty cool regardless of godly status. For me personaly Iron Maiden have it all in buckets and abundance,however I like to try and be open about other styles and artists.My issue with Mr West is there is fine line between ignorance and arrogance and sadly he forgot where that line is.

Ha ha it wasn't an ageist requirement, and I don't think there's one overall "greatest rock star" anyway.

The point i was trying to make is that i'm hard pressed to find someone from my own generation (no pun intended) - who can really be considered as legendary as the generation before, who had Hendrix et al.

And that's a sad thing to admit.

Quite honeslty, I cannot stand that sorf of public arrogance in people, correct or otherwise. No wonder the stage was so empty, they had to fit his ego in.

On that basis alone, I would put Timmy Mallet and Jo Dolce ahead of him.

In all seriousness, I with Timmo and jazzyvee' s post #24

In the longer term, I wonder whether the whole concept of rock stars (as we know them) is going to be associated with a particular era. I'd guess it would run from the last half of the 20th century up to some time early in this century. Before that, the lack of mass-media meant that fame worked differently and tended to be less global, then more recently we've seen tastes diversify and fragment as on-line media makes so much more choice available.

I agree with whoever said that the relationship we all had with music and media in the 70s was very different to that which young people have today. Someone on here listed their fave bands a while back and I had never heard of ANY of them. The only 'rockstars' you see in the media today are lost in the miasma of mediocroty and famous merely for being famous. Even a lot of the talented people are 'of a kind' and there is nothing that could be considered edgy enough to warrant the status of rock star. I remember someone saying that rock music has become the voice of corporate America. I think it feels like there is some truth in that.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1435571457' post='2810028']
It's the oldies ain't it? Whichever way we look, the best true rockstars at the moment are the old ones.

I'd throw in Jagger, Richards, Springsteen, Sting, Daltrey, Townsend, McCartney, Jon Bon Jovi easily into that list of bona fide superstars.

Just hope that in 10 years time we've got enough younger guys reaching that legendary status to be able headline the big festivals eh.
[/quote]

Yeh i think Rock isn't as much a phenomenon in the mainstream as it once was.
I know some people may disagree, but this kind of proves it. I cant think of anyone under 30 who i would consider a rock star, to the level they once were at least.
One name you've missed out from the "over 40s" is Steve Tyler. I'd probably put him right up there with them.

Edited by FuNkShUi

Maybe as we get older we tend to have seen it all before.

The young lady on the Kanye thread seemed to think he was awesome.

Maybe she's right, we're just old men harking back to our lost youth.

It definitely feels like it when I suggest some up to date music for our band and the singer looks blankly and says he's never heard of them.

I think it`s indicitive that we don`t have rock stars anymore due to the fact that for some reason we have "role models" instead. To be a rock star you`ve got to be beating naked groupies around the buttocks with live sharks, preferably in a hotel corridor for horrified normal guests to see. The lot that are around now, well ordering a a chicken sandwich with mayo is probably as daring as they get.