Why become a member? ×

World's greatest rockstar - not Kanye, but who tho?

bassbiscuits

Let's be clear from the start that Kanye is not the world's greatest rockstar, despite his boasts.

But the answer to "well who is then?" been troubling me all day, as my imaginary argument with Kanye finds me struggling with the fact that every possible contender seems to be over 50.

Got me thinking that maybe he does have a point in as much as all the cocky young swagger is coming from hip hop and r'n'b artists.

I'm struggling to think of a truly significant current rock/metal star aged under 30, or even 40. That's not right.

Anyone?

Edited by bassbiscuits

If you stick with the traditional definition of 'rock star' which would loosely be someone with global recognition who is associated with guitar based music & also stipulate that they have to be under 40 I really think you're going to struggle to find anyone - & you probably wont like or agree with anyone who does manage to fit into the criteria.

If I really strain those criteria the only one I can think of is Taylor Swift who at least plays guitar & is , apparently, according to a review I once read (somewhere) 'rockier' live.

There are a fair few globally recognised music stars who can sell out a tour in seconds,but I doubt many here would be happy adding the 'rock' title to their status.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='urbanx' timestamp='1435533771' post='2809876']
The only thing we can all agree on is that Kanye is a prick.
[/quote]

Yes, we can agree on that all right. In any case what he does isn't 'rock' by any reasonable definition of the word.

Okay, after careful thought & an inability to sleep I've come up with Chris Martin (No, I don't really think of him as a 'rock star' either but he is globally famous and mainly associated with guitar based music) and Alex Turner from Arctic Monkeys.

I realise these choices may not be accepted as fitting the description of 'Rock Star' by everyone (or even most), but they're pretty much all I've got in the under 40 category.

Why is the age important? If you're the greatest rock star you're the greatest rock star regardless of your age. And if you are the greatest rock star then I doubt you give two hoots about your own age.

That was my worry - realising that all the really amazing greats, Hendrix, Lennon and McCartney, Jim Morrison, Jimmy Page, Janis Joplin, Rod Stewart, The Stones, Aerosmith, Clapton etc were famous as young people in their 20s or 30s.

Adele is a rare really brilliant, significant young singer/musician, tho not a rock star.

Alex Turner? Mark Ronson? Ed Sheeran? I dunno.

I guess I'm hoping to prove to myself that great rock music isn't just made by old farts from the past - is it?

I'd suggest that age shouldn't really come into it and 40 is WAY too strict :
Dave Grohl - 46 Absolute bloody legend
Matt Bellamy - 37 For a short while was probably one of the most famous going... (although not what I would call a ROCK star)

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1435561866' post='2809921']

I guess I'm hoping to prove to myself that great rock music isn't just made by old farts from the past - is it?
[/quote]

As a qualified old fart i'd say of course it isn't. You'll never stop talented young people adding to the list of great songs but rock music has had it's day as the dominant form of music. In the late 60's and 70's rock dominated the Western music scene even more than R'n'B/Hip Hop does now. On top of this music and popular culture has fragmented. In the 60's and 70's radio dominated how most people listened to music and there were very few stations so everyone shared a large chunk of musical experience. The only other way was to buy records or go and see your band. People were harder up and an album was a significant chunk of your income. We regularly used to gather at the home of the person who had lashed out on the latest Floyd album to hear it in it's entirety for the first time.

'Global Star' and 'Rock' are unlikely to be heard together again other than as media hype, there are just too many genres out there, the changes in technology mean music has fragmented. Rock is a minority sport, absent from the charts and only a matter of nostalgia for most of the public. Like Blues and Jazz it has had it's day in the mainstream but will live on and develop and have the occasional revival.

That doesn't mean rock musicians won't go on and make great music however.

Pretty sure the lack of young rockstars is more indicative of the world today. There's far more opportunity to make music so the pool of people out there is way bigger. That makes it hard to pick a stand out artist. It's also harder to shock people with rockstar type behaviour so being "wild" doesn't get you as far as it used to. Add to that the fact that individuals don't get as rich as they used to because of the way the music world is now then a lot of the crazy behaviour doesn't happen.
For me a rockstar is someone who can step up and make a stadium go nuts. 10yrs ago I'd probably have suggested (controversially) Robbie Williams but now I'm a bit stumped to be honest.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1435564382' post='2809944'] Rather than below 40 why not just stipulate that they must still be alive? Or still playing? [/quote]

And still producing interesting and exciting music. Unfortunately most of the bands that I grew up with in the 70s and 80s if they are still going haven't produced anything of worth in the last 20 years.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1435533053' post='2809868']
Nobody. There are just a lot of rock stars around. They are all different.
[/quote]

Yeah how can anyone define who the greatest is unless/until they state the parameters they are using to make the claim. Is it record sales, longevity, musical ability, vocal ability, songwriting ability, most money etc etc the list can go on.
Every rock star out there is arguably the greatest at being themselves. But how determine who is greater than who, It's pretty pointless as far as I'm concerned.