Why become a member? ×

World's greatest rockstar - not Kanye, but who tho?

bassbiscuits

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1435593911' post='2810379']
I think it`s indicitive that we don`t have rock stars anymore due to the fact that for some reason we have "role models" instead. To be a rock star you`ve got to be beating naked groupies around the buttocks with live sharks, preferably in a hotel corridor for horrified normal guests to see. The lot that are around now, well ordering a a chicken sandwich with mayo is probably as daring as they get.
[/quote]

Maybe that's not a bad thing, as with hindsight some of the sexual behaviour that went with the title of rock star is something we maybe don't want to celebrate. The number of court cases, out-of-court settlements and assorted allegations which have come up in the past few years would support that idea. I'm not saying they were [i]all[/i] at it with underage groupies in the 70s, but it doesn't seem to have been that uncommon.

Hang on, Kanye West, along with other hip-hop giants like Jay-Z, Snoop, Fiddy and Pitbull ARE this generations rock stars.

They sell out arenas, have sex with supermodels, crash super cars and drink bottles of champagne worth $1,000 each.

Are we also assuming they're all male? Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé have also had their fair share of scandal and are probably as popular as the aforementioned male artists.

You guys should read the gossip mags, they really get up to no good!

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1435601450' post='2810481']
Hang on, Kanye West, along with other hip-hop giants like Jay-Z, Snoop, Fiddy and Pitbull ARE this generations rock stars.

They sell out arenas, have sex with supermodels, crash super cars and drink bottles of champagne worth $1,000 each.

Are we also assuming they're all male? Rihanna and Beyoncé have also had their fair share of scandal and are probably as popular as the aforementioned male artists.

[/quote]
Yeah but to be a rock star you have to play guitar and have a Marshall stack behind you!

That's why ye olde generation will never understand all of this stuff coming more up to date. I get it.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1435589222' post='2810324']
One name you've missed out from the "over 40s" is Steve Tyler. I'd probably put him right up there with them.

[/quote]

To me people like Steven Tyler and Dave Lee Roth (and of course the late Freddie Mercury) are "proper" rock stars, its not something you cant define - you just know one when you see one.

Edited by bassman7755

Mick Jagger.
I think to be proper Rock Star you also have to be a household name. People from kids to Grannies will have heard of you.

So I think Truckstop makes a good point. Kanye has all the bad boy qualities, is supremely arrogant and loads of people have heard of him.

But he's not really rock n Roll is he? He looks a bit too healthy for a start. I think Rock Stars need to look a bit peaky.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1435611459' post='2810674']
Mick Jagger.
I think to be proper Rock Star you also have to be a household name. People from kids to Grannies will have heard of you.
[/quote]

A few years ago I educated my daughter and her friends as they where all going round singing "moves like a jagger "

They thought I was mad when I said no the songs about a man named jagger

[/quote]

Depends on your definition of 'rock', really. To me a rock star is someone who performs rock music. Those you mention do not.

Are we also assuming they're all male? Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé have also had their fair share of scandal and are probably as popular as the aforementioned male artists.

[/quote]

Thanks Truckstop I think you've managed to explain better than me the point I've been alluding to (or fearing more like) - that the guys you've just mentioned have taken up the mantle of swaggering bad boys and girls which were once the mainstay of rock.

And in turn, rock's heroes are all the older generation, and all the myth, legend and fair dose of unsavoury bullshit that goes with it.

Kanye isn't the worlds greatest rock star, even compared to his own contemporaries, but the fact it's a struggle to find many definite contenders from what you'd consider rock or metal nowadays kind of suggests it isn't the channel of rebellion it once was.

I wasn't after a definite answer to any of this btw - I was just thinking out loud, and glad you chose to join in my rambling speculation and raise a lot of interesting points.

Edited by bassbiscuits

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435612352' post='2810701']
Depends on your definition of 'rock', really. To me a rock star is someone who performs rock music. Those you mention do not.
[/quote]

Indeed, those sort of people are more what used to be termed "Playboys" to my way of thinking.
But I am old & irrelevant.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1435612105' post='2810694']
Does it have to be a musician? Surely you just need somebody with a massive body of work, who can burn out or retire young, who is infamous, a little dangerous and has loyal fans and ardent haters... somebody like Julian Assange, Mark Zuckerberg, Russel Brand etc... these guys all fit the mold. The guys living that sort of lifestyle will, now, unlikely get there by playing blue rock to massive crowds. That ship has sailed.
[/quote]

Interesting point. In same way that Lord Byron was the Rock Star of his day, perhaps.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1435612105' post='2810694']
Does it have to be a musician? Surely you just need somebody with a massive body of work, who can burn out or retire young, who is infamous, a little dangerous and has loyal fans and ardent haters... somebody like Julian Assange, Mark Zuckerberg, Russel Brand etc... these guys all fit the mold. The guys living that sort of lifestyle will, now, unlikely get there by playing blue rock to massive crowds. That ship has sailed.
[/quote]Russell Brand is comedies Kanye West. Both think they are better than they really are

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1435616902' post='2810772']
Russell Brand is comedies Kanye West. Both think they are better than they really are
[/quote]
Oooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Russell Brand is very funny and intelligent. The problem with Russell is that he's trying his hand at political agendas and people aren't taking him seriously. Which is a shame as he has some interesting points of view.

Depends what you mean by "Greatest". Personally I'd say that to be greatest you have to have been around for a while, to show some enduring qualities, a t prove that you're not a flash in the Pan. Will anyone remember Kayne West in 20 years? I suspect not.

It's like the old Radio One best ever single thing. I can remember when Bros came "top", Bohemian Rhaphsody second. A few years later Bohemian Rhapsody was still there, but no one knew who "Bros" had been.

I've not really read the whole thread but for me there is only one true Rockstar on the planet!

And that guy is..............

George Micheal!

He doesn't give a f***!

Gets his peg out in front of a cop, gets done for it, makes a video about it.

Doesn't give a f***!

Open about his drug taking.

Takes drugs, drives cars
Takes drugs crashes cars

Doesn't give a f***!

The real stars to me can..... write, produce, sing, play, engineer, write for other artists, were/are and always will be in the news, can sell out any gig anywhere, need no PR people to keep them at the top, and don't have to tell us how famous they are. Whether you like them or not, here are a few that spring to mind... David Bowie, Elton John, Dave Gilmore, George Michael, Kate Bush, Paul Mcartney, ( Man of the moment..) Lionel Richie, Joe Bonamasa, Nial Rogers, Brian Eno..... To name a few. These make some of these modern day talking heads look like novices... Yes....they are all of a certain age....but that's the thing, they have been at the top for years. That alone to me is greatness.

It seems to me that band members are subsumed nowadays more than they used to be. For example, everyone in a covers band will be familiar with at least two songs by Kings of Leon (if only to say "I'm not playing those f***ing songs"). However, how many of us can name a single member of the band?

As many have suggested, part of the problem with the question is the nebulous definition of "rock star."

When I first started to invest serious time and effort into Cherry White, people would always ask, "ooh, so you're going to be a rock star, then?" And I always corrected them, saying "not quite; I want to be a musician." Because after all the years of hair metal and increasingly ridiculous behaviour and posturing on the part of the Axl Roses, the Dave Lee Roths, hell, even the Liam Gallaghers and Robbie Williamses of this world, it occurred to me that the term "rock star" had become dangerously synonymous with "d**khead."

And of course, if we go by that definition then Mr West is a strong contender!

I think the main criteria for being a Rockstar vocalist is that you can sing and be able to sing live. I'm afraid Kanye West was so far out of tune it sounded like the drunken Karaoke singer in your local pub.
There are many that have been listed in this thread from all styles of music and many i don't generally listen to but i appreciate that they are good singers.
My own impression of a great singer is someone who can do it live without the aid of autotune.
If they can't do that then they could be any numpty with attitude singing thru autotune.
Older Rockstar singers had no option but to be able to do it live because they needed to tour and do it well. Before the days of autotune of course.

Maybe the modern singers just have it too easy and don't feel the need to put in the additional effort to sing live without assistance.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7