Why become a member? ×

Here comes Kanye at Glasto

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1435818433' post='2812618']
Do you actually play an instrument or are on on here just to wind musicians up?
[/quote]

That's a bit harsh, she's as entitled to her opinion as anyone else. I've been playing bass & guitar (in that order) for a little over 25 years & I quite enjoyed parts of his set, a lot of it didn't work for me (especially the autotune stuff) but I didn't find it as dreadful as a lot of people seemed to.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1435833850' post='2812814']
I've seen lots of Kayne West interviews, and i honestly think he has mental issues..
[/quote]

I have a theory about Kanye West (just a theory).

If you've ever spent time talking to someone who's coked off their nipples then elements of Kanye's interviews & his on stage rants start to sound strangely familiar.

Maybe he just has naturally very high endorphin levels..

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1435835802' post='2812843']
I have a theory about Kanye West (just a theory).

If you've ever spent time talking to someone who's coked off their nipples then elements of Kanye's interviews & his on stage rants start to sound strangely familiar.

Maybe he just has naturally very high endorphin levels..
[/quote]

Whatever the reason behind it, could that be a part of what people find compelling about his performances - the old "mad, bad and dangerous to know" thing?

All of these super rich people are so far removed from reality in terms of having no financial worries whatsoever, no outstanding bills or credit, they have access to anything they want regardless of cost, and all there chums are in the same boat. This must have an adverse affect on you mentally, in that the only thing to strive for, or worry about is making sure you are just as famous when you wake up the next morning as you were when you go to bed the night before, and also that there is no one else out there who is better than you...... Mirror mirror on the wall....

[/quote]
A little unnecessary I think. If nothing else this has been an interesting thread and although the OP did provoke a bit of a response it was genuinely based around what is clearly her own honest opinion.

There is definitely something unusually interesing about Kanye West's self belief and you wonder how much that plays a part in his success. Maybe it's like watching a train running along the tracks just because it looks like the wheels may just fall off in spectacular fashion at some point.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1435785374' post='2812522']
Plus he doesn`t have the arrogance.
[/quote]
I think this has a major bearing on things. I'm sure an awful lot of us would probably have more time and respect for The Greatest Living Rock Star if he wasn't quite so monumentally & irretrievably up himself.

[/quote]She has actually posted a clip of her playing the bass on this forum somewhere. I thought she sounded good.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1435852024' post='2813074']
I think this has a major bearing on things. I'm sure an awful lot of us would probably have more time and respect for The Greatest Living Rock Star if he wasn't quite so monumentally & irretrievably up himself.
[/quote]

Speaking for myself, no. Even were Mr West the soul of modesty he'd still be a plank.

Just a modest plank rather than an arrogant plank. Then we'd feel [i]sorry[/i] for him rather than [i]hate[/i] him. But we wouldn't respect him.

Because he's a plank.

Glastonbury is no longer a music festival. People have their tickets bought long before any of the acts have been booked, so you never know who's going to be playing. There are so many stages and other things going on that it's become ridiculous

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1435902117' post='2813387']
Glastonbury is no longer a music festival. People have their tickets bought long before any of the acts have been booked, so you never know who's going to be playing. There are so many stages and other things going on that it's become ridiculous
[/quote]

It isn't just a music festival - there's a lot going on which is totally unrelated to music, it was ever thus.

[/quote]I agree to some extent. No one 25 years ago would have bought a ticket before they knew the headlining acts. There has always been (well since i used to go ) other things to do, but it was mainly about the music.It does appear that you can get a refund on the ticket if you don`t like the headliners. I think i read 4 people got one as they didn`t want Kanye West there. It has changed a lot though. Maybe the internet changed it. Years ago i would buy my ticket from HMV. You would see the poster in the shop of who was playing.I don`t think they used to sell any tickets until the line up was virtually complete.

Selling the tickets before the lineup is announced just goes to show that it's not somewhere to go to see the acts but somewhere to go to say you're there. I do seem to remember there was another reason they started doing it but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

[/quote]

I think the buying of tickets before the lineup is finalised / revealed is partly because over the years it has seen lots of quality acts so people have some faith that it'll be worth it. It's also because there is a limit on places and it is undeniably very popular. It does seem very expensive to me these days though but they clearly don't struggle to shift tickets so something is right.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1435913340' post='2813493']
I think the buying of tickets before the lineup is finalised / revealed is partly because over the years it has seen lots of quality acts so people have some faith that it'll be worth it. It's also because there is a limit on places and it is undeniably very popular. It does seem very expensive to me these days though but they clearly don't struggle to shift tickets so something is right.
[/quote]If you like the 3 headliners, i think it is still good value. You only need to see 4 bands a day to average the ticket price to around £20 each.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1435926709' post='2813679']
As usual, those moaning are the one's that didn't go. A week on though and everyone is still talking about Kanye's set...
[/quote]

Well he did 'headline'.

I suspect those who did go and didn't like it went to a different stage and listened to something else.

I spoke to two friends last night who went. They listened to a couple tracks and headed off somewhere else.

They did point out it's a festival with music and not a music festival.

A week on though and everyone is still talking about Kanye's set...
[/quote]
Yes, a week on and the jokes and uncomplimentary memes and cartoons and spoof videos and massive slaggings are still being made and circulated, while the positive comments are on the fingers of one hand. Is that what you mean by 'still talking about'? ;)

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1435631466' post='2810825']
[media]http://youtu.be/nwN6dPNXklg[/media]
:D Kanye v Freddie
[/quote]

Even just the few seconds of Kanye in that video were cringe worthy. Surely someone must've heard a rehearsal and told him that he's sh!te.

Liam

Well it is clearly titled 'The Glastonbury Festival of Performing Arts'. I wonder if there will come a time when there's a headliner that isn't a recognised music act at all? Please God not Michael Mcintyre though.

Edited by KevB

As usual, those moaning are the one's that didn't go. A week on though and everyone is still talking about Kanye's set...
[/quote]
Still talking about how ridiculously bad he was lol. Nobody is moaning, its a great talking point because is was so comically bad.

I just think the majority of black popular music has been seriously lacking in any real bass or groove since the early 1990s.A real shame but there just doesnt seem to be much movement just plodding beats and boasting or cussing. Miss bands like light of the world and jazzy funky soul groove stuff with real talent sugarhill gang jurassic 5 all that stuff. It might just be me but kanye, if thats his real name just strikes me as a man with a talent for pretending to be a credible musician while he is really just a bussiness man with a nice fur coat.I would be interested to know how much he contributes to the actual creation of "his" music.