Why become a member? ×

Here comes Kanye at Glasto

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1435483637' post='2809097']
Kanye smashed it. The haters ain't ever gonna "get it". Pure Kanye last night. Just him in the light. Piled on all of the hits right from the gun. Loved it.

This is music 2015 style.
[/quote]

:facepalm:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1435518280' post='2809648'] This will be the Kanye West born in 1977 who is 39years old? Raised in a middle class household in Chicago. :D . [/quote]

Having been born in 1977 also, and having just had my 38th birthday, I refute your maths ;)

And my right as a middle-aged white man to be pedantic on the internet.

I for one, didn't enjoy Kanye's performance, however, lots of people who were there didn't leave, so I think they probably did.

I wrote this about moaning about festival lineups for festivals you are not attending the other day though, seems pertinent to stick it here...

http://davedoesntwriteanythingever.blogspot.com/2015/06/things-on-internet-that-will-never.html

I read your article. It does seem stupid to get a petition up about the headliner.The problem is, after Kanye`s performance, they will probably feel justified. He should have told the organisers he was just going to do Karaoke, then perhaps they could have put on a better performer on to headline. Led Zeppelin through all their faults, which were numerous, would have at least be performing, and not singing to backing tracks. I guess they wouldn`t refer to themselves as the greatest living rock legends either. As i have mentioned before, rap is not my thing whatsoever, but Jay Z did change my mind, that there are some good rappers out there. Kanye just demonstrated he can`t sing.

about his singing - Isn't it a pretty regular feature in hip-hop to have rappers who clearly can't sing, singing on their own tracks? I always thought it was a sort of tradition and never had a problem with it

I'll not have time to check out kanye's performance so won't comment on that

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1435585895' post='2810270']

Having been born in 1977 also, and having just had my 38th birthday, I refute your maths ;)

And my right as a middle-aged white man to be pedantic on the internet.

I for one, didn't enjoy Kanye's performance, however, lots of people who were there didn't leave, so I think they probably did.

I wrote this about moaning about festival lineups for festivals you are not attending the other day though, seems pertinent to stick it here...

http://davedoesntwriteanythingever.blogspot.com/2015/06/things-on-internet-that-will-never.html
[/quote]

Very entertaining.

To be honest Glastonbury is too big now to be all about new music. A massive festival costs masses of money which means people want to see big names for their money, the big names want the big money and the price rises accordingly.

As musicians I'm sure we're all playing our own low cost local festivals with our own home grown local heroes headlining in front of their mates, girlfriends (and proud mums and dads)

:D

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1435587864' post='2810300']
Very entertaining.

To be honest Glastonbury is too big now to be all about new music. A massive festival costs masses of money which means people want to see big names for their money, the big names want the big money and the price rises accordingly.

As musicians I'm sure we're all playing our own low cost local festivals with our own home grown local heroes headlining in front of their mates, girlfriends (and proud mums and dads)

[/quote]

Yep, or as we used to call em when I were a lad, village fetes :)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1435587864' post='2810300']
Very entertaining.

To be honest Glastonbury is too big now to be all about new music. A massive festival costs masses of money which means people want to see big names for their money, the big names want the big money and the price rises accordingly

[/quote]

Glastonbury isn't really run like that. It is & always has been a fundraiser for various environmental charities. Headliners get a flat fee of £200,000 whether they are the Rolling Stones, Kanye West or Florence & the machine.

Okay £200,000 isn't bad for a couple of hours work, but its absolute buttons on the European festival circuit. AC/DC were rumoured to have received £4,000,000 for their last Donnington set & I'm sure there are other commercially run festivals which pay more than that.

At Glastonbury the bands pay for peanuts, the Eavis family takes a token lump sum (it was £20,000 in the 90s, no idea what it is now) & the rest of the profits go to the aforementioned charities.