Why become a member? ×

Thanks Parcelforce - Hurray my new bass has arrrived and been tossed over the gate

A while ago I came home and found a note from a delivery driver saying my parcel (mandolin). was in the green wheelie bin.

Just as I read it I heard the bin being collected and had to chase the guy to the wagon to retrieve it.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1431354967' post='2770366']
A while ago I came home and found a note from a delivery driver saying my parcel (mandolin). was in the green wheelie bin.

Just as I read it I heard the bin being collected and had to chase the guy to the wagon to retrieve it.
[/quote]

If true that's even more shocking.

Edited by Left Foot

I know first hand that people who work for these delivery companies are being pressured to deliver stuff " first attempt", as it cuts down on costs to redliver or run a collection office, they want to get rid of those, but they don't allow any extra time for you to try to deliver elsewhere, so circumstances like this start to occur. Welcome to privatised delivery. Yes it's wrong, yes I'dbe gutted, and yes I'dcomplain like hell. I would guess Thomann will take the courier to task as it's they who have a contract with them.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1431354967' post='2770366']
[/quote]

If it was a Banjo, you would have just retrieved the bin, I presume?
:D

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1431356149' post='2770381']
Why wouldn't it be true?
[/quote]

It just sounds unbelievable, I'm not saying it is untrue bud, that's just ludicrous.

OP - that package has gone all Mary Berry, all soggy bottomed...

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1431357261' post='2770406']
It just sounds unbelievable, I'm not saying it is untrue bud, that's just ludicrous.

[/quote]

A few years back HDNL (now Yodel) used to leave parcels in my wheelie bins all the time.
Including time they put something in the garden waste bin and didn't leave a note telling me.
I discovered it 2 days later as I was dumping grass cuttings into the bin...

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1431357564' post='2770413']
A few years back HDNL (now Yodel) used to leave parcels in my wheelie bins all the time.
Including time they put something in the garden waste bin and didn't leave a note telling me.
[/quote]

I guess any instrument for Blue Grass would feel at home in the cuttings bin.....?

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1431357564' post='2770413']
[/quote]

This is next level hilarious tearful LOL's.
What the feck huh, its like they are throwing goods out for you. CRAZY!

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1431355383' post='2770374']
I would guess Thomann will take the courier to task as it's they who have a contract with them.
[/quote]

Thomann use DHL, DHL pass it onto Parcelforce when it reaches the UK.

I've ordered loads of stuff off Thomann, it travels amazingly fast across from Germany, then grinds to a halt once it reaches the UK.

[quote name='tom skool' timestamp='1431367148' post='2770585']
you should have told them it wasnt there when you got home
[/quote]

I feel pretty certain the driver thought of this possibility, and produced hard evidence - - by filming the whole thing of faking the signature and tossing the box over the gate. ;)

The Epiphone lives!

Bass is A OK thankfully. Was doubled boxed and completely unhurt by her ordeal. Have lodged a complaint with ParcelFarce and am going to email the pics to their Managing Director. Will let Thomann know also so hopefully they'll kick up a stink.

My experience with Thomann delivery was the opposite in that the bass spent a week in Germany then shot through the UK in relatively quick time.

New bass pics here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/261895-nbd-epiphone-ltd-ed-jack-casady-2014-alpine-white/"]http://basschat.co.u...4-alpine-white/[/url]

Thanks for all the messages of support, shared outrage and suggestions, it was appreciated.

Nuclear rage has subsided and will be saved for another day... :D

Edited by stuckinthepod

If you've not already e-mailed them, I'd make a comment about their management who put the driver in a position where he was able to do this. If he is capable of going off process, then that is management failure.

As has been aluded to earlier in the thread, he's l probably quietly encouraged,to do something like this to keep costs down and KPIs up. It's very easy for a company like this to blame the driver, but it's them who created the environment where the driver thought this was an acceptable thing to do.

Not saying the driver isn't at fault, he could genuinely have acted in a self-serving and malicious way; but I would suspect that the ultimate blame lies with Parcelforce management.

Edited by Graham

Our bin men will only take our wheelie bin if I leave it within 7.2mm of where the lorry stops, keep the weight to less than 2.7kgs and leave brown envelopes with cash in discreetly taped to the outside. So for me courier deliveries left in the bin on the drive (which is actually quite sheltered by trees) are therefore OK as long as nobody sees them of course.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1431410259' post='2770902']
If you've not already e-mailed them, I'd make a comment about their management who put the driver in a position where he was able to do this. If he is capable of going off process, then that is management failure.

As has been aluded to earlier in the thread, he's l probably quietly encouraged,to do something like this to keep costs down and KPIs up. It's very easy for a company like this to blame the driver, but it's them who created the environment where the driver thought this was an acceptable thing to do.

Not saying the driver isn't at fault, he could genuinely have acted in a self-serving and malicious way; but I would suspect that the ultimate blame lies with Parcelforce management.
[/quote]

Absolutely, and it is not 'quiet encouragement', it is explicit instruction albeit on a 'don't tell the punters' basis. My Parcelforce delivery guy, a nice bloke, left a parcel in my dustbin and it went off to the dump because the card he put through the door telling us it was in the bin went walkabout (it did turn up but some time after the bin had been collected). I asked if he was going to get into trouble for signing for it (it was signed for as delivered) and he made it pretty obvious he would have got into more trouble if he [i]hadn't[/i] signed for it. Most people are out during Monday-Friday 9-5 which is when Parcelforce do most of their domestic deliveries, if they didn't do this type of thing and had to keep taking things to and fro depots with all the handling and processing, their business model wouldn't work and prices would go up with all the consequences for competitive edge etc. They simply live with the fact that in a small percentage of cases - and it is small - things go wrong. Will the MD/CEO care about this, absolutely not, it's acceptable business risk. In fact not doing stuff like this represents higher risk from senior management perspective.

Personally with most items I'd prefer the delivery gets to me without too much messing about and on the day I expect it. If that can be done via wheely bins, neighbours and clever hiding places, I'm generally happy. Until it goes wrong :)