Why become a member? ×

Thanks Parcelforce - Hurray my new bass has arrrived and been tossed over the gate

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431417930' post='2770965']
Makes you wonder why deliveries aren't made outside business hours when people are at home and there is less traffic.
[/quote]

Unions :rolleyes:

I've taken a number of steps to highlight what happened here to ParcelForce. Whether I get a shred of response or not remains to be seen.

I have lodged a complaint via ParcelForce's website- You can't complain by phone according to their customer services :blink:
I have emailed a complaint and pictures to the MD of ParcelForce and the Director of Customer Care at Royal Mail (who still ultimately own ParcelForce).
I've posted complaints on the ParcelForce Facebook page.
I have emailed Thommann and copied them in on the email I sent to ParcelForce so they know what their UK delivery partner is doing.
I have complained long and hard Basschat - scourge of the corporate world, fighter for truth and justice and natural home to grumblers everywhere.

I will let you know if I get any response.

Cheers, Ben

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1431417330' post='2770960']

Absolutely, and it is not 'quiet encouragement', it is explicit instruction albeit on a 'don't tell the punters' basis. My Parcelforce delivery guy, a nice bloke, left a parcel in my dustbin and it went off to the dump because the card he put through the door telling us it was in the bin went walkabout (it did turn up but some time after the bin had been collected). I asked if he was going to get into trouble for signing for it (it was signed for as delivered) and he made it pretty obvious he would have got into more trouble if he [i]hadn't[/i] signed for it. Most people are out during Monday-Friday 9-5 which is when Parcelforce do most of their domestic deliveries, if they didn't do this type of thing and had to keep taking things to and fro depots with all the handling and processing, their business model wouldn't work and prices would go up with all the consequences for competitive edge etc. They simply live with the fact that in a small percentage of cases - and it is small - things go wrong. Will the MD/CEO care about this, absolutely not, it's acceptable business risk. In fact not doing stuff like this represents higher risk from senior management perspective.

Personally with most items I'd prefer the delivery gets to me without too much messing about and on the day I expect it. If that can be done via wheely bins, neighbours and clever hiding places, I'm generally happy. Until it goes wrong :)
[/quote]

Seems fair to me.

I'm sure I've seen lockable cabinets for deliveries advertised.

If you're planning on getting a lot of deliveries it might pay to have some kind of secure storage like that. Stays unlocked until the delivery guy puts something in and locks it.

We have quite a few neighbours who work from home on various days. Someone always signs for our stuff.

Edited by TimR

Surely having the driver "sign" for the delivery counts as fraud? Might have some interesting implications if you paid for the bass by credit card.

These days I work from home so getting deliveries is rarely a problem, as I can usually see and hear the van coming down the street, however recently I have had a number of delivery drivers who seem to incapable of using the door bell and knock so quietly that if I hadn't already seen that their van was parked outside I might not have realised that they were at the door.

Before that I always used to have anything that wouldn't fit through the letterbox delivered to my work.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1431418140' post='2770969']

Unions :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Actually, Royal Mail used to deliver starting at about 7a.m., and then do a second delivery, but the MANAGEMENT decided to go to a one delivery system, so it would be " better " for the customers...( for "better" read "cheaper for the company")

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1431434514' post='2771269']

Actually, Royal Mail used to deliver starting at about 7a.m., and then do a second delivery, but the MANAGEMENT decided to go to a one delivery system, so it would be " better " for the customers...( for "better" read "cheaper for the company")
[/quote]

Anything after 6:30am is too late for me so I don't see any point in having two deliveries in a day. With the advent of email, actual post is ridiculously far down the scale of importance now.

It's modernisation. Better for everyone I'd say.

I agree that it's an awful way for a new bass (or anything) to be delivered, and it seems there are plenty of similar stories.

However this is only the handling that you see - I would bet that every package has a similarly hard time while it is in the delivery network, it's just you don't normally get to see the 'abuse' unless something like this occurs. There just isn't time for everything to be handled gently and carefully on the off-chance it might be delicate.

We've seen the hidden-camera footage of warehouse staff playing parcel football haven't we?

I totally understand why you are upset (I would be too!), but I'm sure Thomman have packed it sufficiently well that it will survive.

Try not to let it detract from your NBD mate :-)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1431428561' post='2771151']
Surely having the driver "sign" for the delivery counts as fraud? Might have some interesting implications if you paid for the bass by credit card.
[/quote]

Big Red, yes I agree it is fraud (whether it could be prosecuted I don't know) and the implications had the bass then been pinched from where it was "abandoned" are enormous. The delivery had been "signed for" so Thomann could have withheld any refund and assumed I was pulling a fast one.

Zero response for ParcelForce thus far.

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1431436344' post='2771314']
I totally understand why you are upset (I would be too!), but I'm sure Thomman have packed it sufficiently well that it will survive.
Try not to let it detract from your NBD mate :-)
[/quote]

Thanks. They did pack it really well and it was completely unscathed. She is a thing of beauty and I'm really happy and certainly got that NBD feeling when I unpacked her. Have ordered an extra long strap to wear it appropriately low at the next gig. :D

Edited by stuckinthepod

...the MANAGEMENT decided to go to a one delivery system, so it would be " better " for the customers...( for "better" read "cheaper for the company")
[/quote]

It's the kind of mealy-mouthed crap that's trotted out to justify privatisation where 'more choice for the customer' actually means 'less, or NO choice for the customer, but if we say something over and over again enough times it becomes true'. Bastards. They must be lashed!!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1431428561' post='2771151']
[/quote]

There is some quite amazing small print exceptions to normal practice around contracts when you book a courier and I suspect that this might be one of them...

The signature can be anyone who receives the package on your behalf. It's a proof of delivery only.

The delivery driver had chosen a spot that he feels is safe enough. Bear in mind that the bass will probably have already been exposed to the elements at several points on the journey. It's not kept in a controlled environment!

If the driver signs for it and it subsequently goes missing then it's parcelforce you have the claim against.

[/quote]

I used to work for Royal Mail, this was all brought about once Royal Mail lost the monopoly on delivering items under £1.

It used to be run as a service, and that service was very good, however it is now run as a business, and businesses have to be profitable to compete.

Ironically, Royal Mail thought the advent of the internet would spell the end of letter delivery as we know it. Massive propaganda was trotted out by senior management on declining Mail volumes, the need to cut costs etc. All very true, however what they completely underestimated was the massive growth in packet and parcel traffic that the rise of internet shopping brought. They never saw it coming. Back in the good old days of Mail Order, packets and parcels were minimal, and easily managed. It is only in the last few years, the nationwide revision in 2011-12 to be precise, that they have tried to adapt to this market.

So back in the 'good old days', postman pat was trusted to use his initiative when delivering parcels, and whether to 'doorstep' them. Live out in the sticks and friendly with the neighbours? We'll deliver it to them. Live by the side of a main road in full view? Probably won't leave it on the doorstep. Plus he had the time in his working day to make an informed decision.

But with the massive increase in parcel traffic completely mismanaged by Royal Mail, and the extra pressure on staff who were told their workloads were going down, 'doorstepping' began to increase. Complaints went up, naturally, and 'doorstepping' was outlawed, punishable by conduct procedures, from somewhere around 2005 iirc.

After a few years, it was obvious customers started complaining more about us not delivering it to their trusted neighbours, or leaving it in a perfectly secure place. Customers were also taking advantage of the free redelivery service, which was so clearly not profitable, so initiatives were brought in to ensure we delivered first time, in an attempt to slicken up. The 'tracked' service coincided with this.

This obviously stretches across to the wider Royal Mail group and Parcel Force, and hence why you have basses thrown over your garden fence. Regardless, the delivery driver must be an absolute tool, and will probably be sacked for this.

I left Royal Mail in 2012, and it was clear there was massive conflict between running it as a business, and running it as a service. Until they sort out which one it is, it will continue to decline.

Well said, seems like your experience is much the same as mine. My numbers of items are increasing week on week, but the management keep telling us mail volumes are falling.
Back on topic, the OP has done a NBD thread, and his new bass seems to have survived the flight over the fence, and looks great, so good news, hope it's a good one!!!

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1431459996' post='2771643']

Regardless, the delivery driver must be an absolute tool, and will probably be sacked for this.
[/quote]

Decent bottle of red says he won't :)

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1431459996' post='2771643']

I used to work for Royal Mail, this was all brought about once Royal Mail lost the monopoly on delivering items under £1.

It used to be run as a service, and that service was very good, however it is now run as a business, and businesses have to be profitable to compete.

Ironically, Royal Mail thought the advent of the internet would spell the end of letter delivery as we know it. Massive propaganda was trotted out by senior management on declining Mail volumes, the need to cut costs etc. All very true, however what they completely underestimated was the massive growth in packet and parcel traffic that the rise of internet shopping brought. They never saw it coming. Back in the good old days of Mail Order, packets and parcels were minimal, and easily managed. It is only in the last few years, the nationwide revision in 2011-12 to be precise, that they have tried to adapt to this market.

So back in the 'good old days', postman pat was trusted to use his initiative when delivering parcels, and whether to 'doorstep' them. Live out in the sticks and friendly with the neighbours? We'll deliver it to them. Live by the side of a main road in full view? Probably won't leave it on the doorstep. Plus he had the time in his working day to make an informed decision.

But with the massive increase in parcel traffic completely mismanaged by Royal Mail, and the extra pressure on staff who were told their workloads were going down, 'doorstepping' began to increase. Complaints went up, naturally, and 'doorstepping' was outlawed, punishable by conduct procedures, from somewhere around 2005 iirc.

After a few years, it was obvious customers started complaining more about us not delivering it to their trusted neighbours, or leaving it in a perfectly secure place. Customers were also taking advantage of the free redelivery service, which was so clearly not profitable, so initiatives were brought in to ensure we delivered first time, in an attempt to slicken up. The 'tracked' service coincided with this.

This obviously stretches across to the wider Royal Mail group and Parcel Force, and hence why you have basses thrown over your garden fence. Regardless, the delivery driver must be an absolute tool, and will probably be sacked for this.

I left Royal Mail in 2012, and it was clear there was massive conflict between running it as a business, and running it as a service. Until they sort out which one it is, it will continue to decline.
[/quote]

Good post by the way

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1431464282' post='2771722']

For the record the official line from on high, as to why there were no longer two post deliveries with the first starting at 7:00 am, was that the delivery lorries were restricted to a lower top speed and therefore they arrived at depots later. From what I saw there was nothing much to deliver though guys were sorting mail from around 5:00 am onwards, with a big second delivery appearing sometime around 7:30 or so.
[/quote]

The removal of the Mail train is when the second delivery service stopped in Cornwall.

Looking back, around 1:00-1:30 of our working hours were allocated for this, and on average you'd go out and deliver about 5 letters. Only first class or 2nd class stamped (which was date stamped 2 days or more previously, else they were getting a 1st class service). Like I said, it was a run as a service back then though, so things were different! Not surprising it was one of the first things to go.

"Words cannot convey my current level of anger..."

Nor me ....

It is very difficult to excuse these kind of actions by delivery drivers/couriers.

What kind of pressure must they be under to meet their daily targets ? And why do these drivers appear to be so irredeemably stupid ?

Some of these drivers will be Agency staff working for the company for a day or two, some will be on short time contracts, most will be full time employees.

I would suggest that a full time employee of P******F***** etc or any of the other "reputable" companies would not chuck a bass from Thomann over a fence and post a P739 or the equivalent through a letter box and then fake a signature.

How long would this kind of behaviour be tolerated ?

But if you are only employed for a couple of days, can't quite remember the procedures, maybe next week you'll be employed, maybe you won't, would you really give a F**** ?

Really interested to hear the response from Parcelforce.

Glad the Bass survived.

Is it any good for Metal ?

[quote name='blisters on my fingers' timestamp='1431484347' post='2771834']
...if you are only employed for a couple of days, can't quite remember the procedures, maybe next week you'll be employed, maybe you won't, would you really give a F**** ?
[/quote]

That's it, isn't it? You're expected to take any old crappy job to get you off the unemployment register (so the government can say there are loads of jobs out there and unemployment is falling), which doesn't pay anywhere [i]near [/i]enough to live on, then you're expected to deliver X parcels in Y time, even though this is in fact impossible, so you're under extreme pressure 100% of your working day, PLUS the stress of driving in heavy traffic AND you're expected to tug your forelock and be GRATEFUL for this crappy job, because in these times of (artificially-created) austerity you have to take what you can don't you, and after all we're all in this together, aren't we?

Edited by discreet