Why become a member? ×

How do you have your volume control ?

LITTLEWING

I've always had mine on any passive or active bass right up on full and generally control the output for each song with my fingers. TBH I don't use it for any other reason than to turn it down when it's not in use in it's stand. I guess if there was a REALLY quiet number I would nip it down to suit. I personally employ the tone control more than anything to fine tune if needed to tame the required level.

I always have mine rolled back a little...maybe using 80% of what's available. Always like to have a litle bit in reserve...the old 'ace up the sleeve' routine. Also it holds back some of those more unwelcome noises such as string whistle etc.... I just prefer a less powerful signal leaving the bass to the amp...

I know that johnnythenotes and I will end up in a minority, but yes, I always keep some to spare - hate having to tweak the amp once we're playing. Also getting used to having volume higher and not being so physical.

Wide open on a Jazz bass, it's hard to fiddle with them for volume purposes when there's two of them. Overall I use a volume pedal at the end of my effects chain for swells and fades, or just playing dynamics as the song dictates.

Full... I have a lot left on the bass in terms of mid sweep and bass boost but really want to avoid that
as they affect the tone too much...so a between the songs type thing.
Not a fan of going back to the amp, and when I do, that is normally because someone else has upped their level.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1431260373' post='2769301']
I always have mine rolled back a little...maybe using 80% of what's available. Always like to have a litle bit in reserve...the old 'ace up the sleeve' routine. Also it holds back some of those more unwelcome noises such as string whistle etc.... I just prefer a less powerful signal leaving the bass to the amp...
[/quote]

Yip, this is me too.

Volume fully open on passive instruments, depends on the output of active ones.

I know for passive basses rolling off the volume often changes the tone - but this can be offset: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDEaxvl-Joc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDEaxvl-Joc[/url]

Haven't used a capacitor for this - I've just used the volume up full and the tone for tone.

I'm surprised at how many people "keep a bit in reserve"! I always assumed (rightly or wrongly) that reducing the volume would affect the tone and that basses work best with volumes up full. Better for signal to noise ratio too... but maybe this is not true?

Easier on a P bass (or something with only one volume control) but trying to do that on a J could be fiddly as having the two volumes set differently would change the tone (balance of the pickups) a bit I would guess.

My problem is that if the volume(s) were less than 100%, I wouldn't quite know where I was! If it is always on full and I knock it slightly, I can quickly check and return it to its "full on" position. OK, so I'm a bit clumsy and often catch my knobs when I am playing... :blush:

Edited by Conan

With the Precision, volume on max and tone between 75%ish and 100%. With the Tbird, for the "classic Tbird sound", neck on 10, bridge on about 8 and tone on 10. If I want to kid myself that it sounds a bit like a Jazz, I'll reverse the volume settings but lose a bit of volume in the process.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1431290486' post='2769746']
The tonepump preamp volume on my Spector Euro is so hot that I have to have my volume at about half way.
[/quote]

One of the reasons I got rid of my Euro LX! Far too hot! <_<