Why become a member? ×

Upright Sound from Electric/Acoustic?

acidbass

Hi all,

Just a quick question! Looking for recommendations for an electric/acoustic bass with an upright sound. Been looking at those Kala U-Basses although open to options. Would something like a fretless Hofner do the job?

Not really interested in an EUB as such - just trying to get some options :)

Thanks in advance for advice or opinions

Danny

Best options are expensive.. Rob Allen or Rick Turner Renaissance. There are cheaper versions of the Renaissance designs being made, I think by M. Kelly but haven't seen any for sale in Europe. Have a search on YouTube and see what you think of the sounds?

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1427214100' post='2727320']
Hi all,

Just a quick question! Looking for recommendations for an electric/acoustic bass with an upright sound. Been looking at those Kala U-Basses although open to options. Would something like a fretless Hofner do the job?

Danny
[/quote]

How close are you trying to get?

I'm listening back to a track we mixed last weekend, on which I played a fretless bass guitar with flats - I suspect if this was played to an audience, those who didn't play bass might mistake it for an upright. On the other hand, another bass player would probably recognise it after hearing a few tell-tale signs, so I guess it depends how convincing a disguise you need!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1427215925' post='2727384']
How close are you trying to get?

I'm listening back to a track we mixed last weekend, on which I played a fretless bass guitar with flats - I suspect if this was played to an audience, those who didn't play bass might mistake it for an upright. On the other hand, another bass player would probably recognise it after hearing a few tell-tale signs, so I guess it depends how convincing a disguise you need!
[/quote]

I'd say this is it.

Different uprights have different characters when played acoustically. Amplified, you can EQ and alter the voice of the instrument quite radically.
I've heard great amplified and recorded acoustic bass sounds - and heard great EUB / Electric bass sounds that could do the same job convincingly either solo or in a band. I could probably be fooled, but it would take careful setup, amplification and technique to fool someone who played upright bass, especially if the bass was very clear in the mix.

I'd start with a fretless, and try different flats and tapewounds till I got a sound I liked. I'm guessing piezo pickups could work, but I'd want magnetic pickups too!

Several excellent replies already. The UBass is certainly a pretty cheap partial solution, and it doesn't have to be a Kala either (I use the cheapo Harley Benton one).

The Godin / Rob Allen / Renaissance route can deliver but IMHO only with very careful string choice (right now my Rob Allen wouldn't fool anyone).

I've owned lots of Hofners, but strangely enough never a fretless. Again, a Hofner hollowbody (violin or club) or semi (Senator or President) will get you somewhere near but without convincing.

Probably the closest you'll get is something like the big Takamine (can't remember the model) which has a telescopic end-spike and can actually be played as a sort-of upright.

You've not mentioned budget though, and that could easily rule out many of these suggestions.

I now play in two big bands and have been chasing the upright sound for years to keep the jazzers happy, but frankly you can spend vast sums on what you consider to be the right amp the right cab the right bass and no one gives a monkey's providing you play considerately. I started with the Amp EQ using a standard electric with round wounds, I have owned a Rob Allen, a very nice tone but it is not an upright sound, sold that and bought a Status electro 2 and put black nylons on that, love it, its a keeper but not an upright sound, I have now bought a Line 6 Variax which does sound like an upright if you are careful with the controls and sympathetic with your approach. Basically you cannot simulate the scale length that will give the right harmonic content to sound like a upright bass.
Happy hunting

[attachment=187415:P1010590.JPG]

like this - not me
https://youtu.be/kyqt7J6xuNM

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1427271254' post='2728008']
Lightwave fretless with flats.
[/quote]

If you go that route, you need to be a very precise player.

I had a Lightwave Sabre and it was truly lush, but there's nowhere to hide your mistakes! :lol:

Hi there. I both both basses all the time so I've often tried to get a convincing upright sound from the electric when I just have the one bass on a gig. No electric bass will sound like an acoustic upright unfortunately. Fretless basses sound even less like an upright. You can achieve a vague approximation with mist basses by adjusting your right hand technique and playing with the sides of your fingers right over the fingerboard (gives that slight growly sound). Especially with flatwound strings- Thomastiks are best for this.
I've tried every electric upright around and the only one that gets close is the Yamaha SLB200. A fantastic instrument that has a rich upright bass tone and sounds beautiful with a bow too. Which is über-rare!
I've been hankered after a Kala U-bass for a while now. The mahogany fretted version (typically, the most expensive one at around £495) is the most convincing and is lovely to play. Oddly, the fretless version sounds mirr like a fretless bass than an upright.
So if you want a new instrument, go Kala or Yamaha depending on what you want to spend. But I'd recommend trying a set of Thomastik Jazz Flats http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/bass-guitar-strings-sets-c34/thomastik-infeld-thomastik-jf344-4-string-jazz-flatwound-43-100-bass-guitar-strings-p842/s884?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=thomastik-infeld-thomastik-jf344-4-string-jazz-flatwound-43-100-bass-g-thomjf344&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CNLNwOucw8QCFVDHtAod7ncA7A first with the wonky right hand trick!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1427274623' post='2728043']
If you go that route, you need to be a very precise player.

I had a Lightwave Sabre and it was truly lush, but there's nowhere to hide your mistakes! :lol:
[/quote]

I really liked the sound of my Saber and would still have one if I could find a 5-string version that was as nice in looks as my 4 string. For me the trick was not to turn up the piezo too much and play like you would on an upright bass.

Hi all,

Danny
[/quote]

As it goes I do have an acoustic bass up for sale on here at the moment. It's a lovely Breedlove and it sounds great. I use phosfor bronze strings for a zingy piano-like sound but apparently they sound quite uprighty with those Pyramid tape- wound strings on. Seen some nice videos on YouTube where people have gone in that direction. PM me if you're interested...

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1427337248' post='2729118']
The Variax had a good upright patch on it when I owned one,pity they never did a new version.
[/quote]

The trouble I find with my Variax is that, although the upright setting is convincing enough in a band, not being fretless makes it a lot less convincing.
On DB I like to slide around a bit and transferring those songs onto the Variax is not a pleasing experience.
I suppose what I'm saying is, it definitely needs to be fretless.
I can get a very similar sound to the Variax out of a normal bass using the resonator setting on my cheapy Toneworks AX3A pedal, with a fretless it's really good. So maybe try an effect before buying a new bass.

Hi all,

Danny
[/quote]

What kind of upright sound are you after? Short, thumpy attack, or something richer?