Why become a member? ×

Lyrics - Where to start?

CamdenRob

I've been writing a few songs recently as I'm fed up of the other members in bands I've been in trying to dictate what I play, so I've decided to write and play all the other parts myself and do whatever I like with the basslines.

I've got a few decent ideas down but a song isn't really a song without vocals is it? I'm happy to give it a go and I've got some ideas for melodies, when I hum or just sing random words it sounds OK but obviously I need proper lyrics...

So... where on earth do I start? I literally have nothing to say :mellow: I can't take examples from my own life as I'm not downtrodden or disadvantaged in any way, I have nothing to moan about... I have no animosity against the political system or any desire to change things there. I'm very happy with Mrs C so don't have any traditional lovey dovey stuff to write about. I could write about going to work and leading a normal life but I doubt that would cut it...

You guys who do write lyrics where do you get inspiration from?

Edited by CamdenRob

I have an odd method.

I write the music first. Then I hum a vocal melody along to it. At various points in the humming a word pops into my head that just fits perfectly in that space.

Then I see what goes with that word.

I never plan the subject matter of a song as I find that too restricting.

That's why I have songs about politics,assassination, favourite films and.... radiator repairmen!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1426238922' post='2715911']
I have an odd method.

I write the music first. Then I hum a vocal melody along to it. At various points in the humming a word pops into my head that just fits perfectly in that space.

Then I see what goes with that word.

I never plan the subject matter of a song as I find that too restricting.

That's why I have songs about politics,assassination, favourite films and.... radiator repairmen!
[/quote]

I've got to the humming a melody and a few random words part but I'm struggling to form that into a coherant set of lyrics. Maybe I've just got to force the first few songs through and learn from the experience.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1426239778' post='2715928']
No having lyrics or vocals doesn't seem to have hindered the plethora of "Post Rock" bands that have sprung up in the last 15 years.
[/quote]

Oh I'm not knocking instrumental music.. I just want vocals in my songs and sadly I'm utterly useless at coming up with anything worth singing about :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

Lyrics are incredibly difficult, unless you're happy to just churn out the usual "Moon June"stuff.

I'm in the same boat as you, really enjoy trying to write stuff but I just really don't have anything to say. I'm angry about a lot of things but I'm very aware that I'd just sound a bit of a whinging twat writing about how unfair life is at the age of 50....

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426240015' post='2715933']
Oh I'm not knocking instrumental music.. I just want vocals in my songs and sadly I'm utterly useless at coming up with anything worth singing about :blink:
[/quote]

Fair enough. I'm rubbish at lyrics too, which is why I all my songwriting is done in partnership with someone who can write interesting and clever words.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426238745' post='2715908']
I've been writing a few songs recently as I'm fed up of the other members in bands I've been in trying to dictate what I play, so I've decided to write and play all the other parts myself and do whatever I like with the basslines.

I've got a few decent ideas down but a song isn't really a song without vocals is it? I'm happy to give it a go and I've got some ideas for melodies, when I hum or just sing random words it sounds OK but obviously I need proper lyrics...

So... where on earth do I start? I literally have nothing to say :mellow: I can't take examples from my own life as I'm not downtrodden or disadvantaged in any way, I have nothing to moan about... I have no animosity against the political system or any desire to change things there. I'm very happy with Mrs C so don't have any traditional lovey dovey stuff to write about. I could write about going to work and leading a normal life but I doubt that would cut it...

You guys who do write lyrics where do you get inspiration from?
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think that's a much used approach, have read similar from Macca and Thom Yorke [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you're after some angst, check the annals of banned / recently departed BCers. [/font][/color]

If you can't think of anything to write about your own life you could try writing about someone elses. Other people you know, characters from films or literature, famous people (past or present), you could even take a name off a gravestone and write something completely fictional a la Eleanor Rigby.

You can wirte about anything, really. It's just got to catch the ear.

I guess I had a bit of a leg up on this when I started writing songs because I used to write poetry. When I write I tend to come up with a line or two then it kinda grows from there. I was annoyed one day because my wife was very busy (she is a self employed music teacher (vocals)) so I had a melody line already and fit the words onto it - "I'd like to ask a question of you if I may, would you be free to spend some time with me today?". Then I thought "If we had the time, what would we be doing?" - so it turned into a song about skiving off work and going to a beer garden. Lovely.

So basically for me it grows from a seed - a line, a title or a concept. Also I don't force it. If it's not coming through naturally, I park it and come back to it at a later date.

Have a scout round t'web to find interviews by Paul Simon. I can't remember the exact occasion, but he was being asked this very question: 'How do you come up with the songs you write..?'. He explained that, very simply, he takes ordinary speech, saying, basically, ordinary things, and fits the melody to that. Then come the chords and structure. It's not a rule that all has to 'scan' in 4/4 with equal accents everywhere. Listen, maybe, to a few of his disks to hear the result. 'Bookends', for example; there are tons more.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope it helps.

Living in Camden & all those skagheads about , and you have no anger?
Maybe you're better off with keyboards doing ambient music?;)

Hard to explain , but finding chemistry with someone close can help.
For example; when you have a 'best friend' where you can talk about anything and your other halves can't phathom what you're talking about . We are laughing our heads off, and they can't make us out. I had such a relationship.

We would have harmless and witty personal digs at each other& people we didn't like.
Sometimes , this would be rap mode( kid you not). We would be falling over ourselves laughing . We always said we would be great lyric writers . Lots of it un pc,)
Even when painting together , ideas would churn out .
Partnerships obviously work ( glimmer twins., Noel and Liam etc).

I find that when you go with the intention of writing 'now', is when you draw a blank.
Going about your business as usual,is when something might strike you. But, you have to remember it .

It may just be a case of getting rolling, and generally the first efforts will be pretty poor, but as with most things in life, it's a learning process and you will improve with every song. I have a songwriting book which suggests taking titles and writing around them - which I believe Sting does sometimes. It could be anything that starts you off, so for instance, book titles, and I have a few sat on my desk currently :

Under an English heaven
The last thousand days
Silent service
Winter legend

That lot might sound a bit like an Iron Maiden b sides collection, but hopefully illustrates the point, that anything can be the catalyst : you could go along a bookshelf, use a local paper for headlines, or even album titles - anything which gets you thinking about a story around the title.

Don't know if that helps?!

Blixa Bargeld from Einstürzende Neubauten carries a little notebook around and writes down things he overhears.
He once heard two old women talking and as they parted one said:
"You'll find me if you want me in the garden. Unless it's pouring down with rain."

he then wrote this:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMqC7Wx2-nE[/media]

If you listen to people around you, you can get some interesting stuff...
You just need to remember, or write down, what you hear.

Edited by bartelby

When i'm in writing mode I read poetry, i watch factual tv as well as reading fiction all amongst just living day to day life and i carry a notepad and pen about with me and sometimes a dictaphone (but you can look a right tw*t talking into it) and i just note things that sound good. Phrases, words, occurrences or places etc.....

Seems to get me material that i then have to just edit.

The BC composition helps me get going TBH. I too find it difficult to write about the real stuff , but I can often describe a picture a lot easier as the story is there, it just needs picking out
I find that I can be very literal in the way I do it , but I think that makes it easier if I ask someone to sing it , it is less of a head scratcher and they can identify with it easier
If I could sing I would probably go a bit more left field lyrically

The singer from my old Band, BigRoom said to me when I said I might have a stab at writing some lyrics, "Writing the lyrics can be hard as it's not just about getting a series of words together, but getting words in the right places for the melody to flow. Having a line with one too many or not enought syllables or having a word that goes "ooo" instead of "aaa" can be the difference between ok & excellent. It's a bit like you on bass, you know where the notes should be & whether to play that note on the E string or the A string".

I have a notepad file (labelled: All Torque, No Trousers) full of phrases that have popped into my head. Most of them don't go anywhere, some end up as poems, and some turn into songs (some even end up as ideas for the names of effects pedals I plan on building).
I remember being told that lyrics are just poems put to music, but I don't think that is right. I find poetry far easier to write than lyrics, and trying to use them as lyrics has proven difficult.

Some of my favourite bands have specific lyrical themes, such as war, horror and Norse mythology, some tell ancient stories and some make up new ones.
One day I might get around to writing the concept album I have in my head based on Richard K Morgan's A Land Fit For Heroes trilogy of novels.

Some of my favourite songs are about the normality of life or totally random subjects, not the usual suspects the OP listed.
You already have the subject matter for your first song, a tale of wanting to make a statement to the world but having nothing to say, forcing lyrics from a void, trying night and day, head so quiet it deafens me, screams won't go away, cacophony of silence, wish I could find something to say.
Ok it's sh*t but a song can be about anything at all :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426238745' post='2715908']
I literally have nothing to say :mellow: I can't take examples from my own life as I'm not downtrodden or disadvantaged in any way, I have nothing to moan about... I have no animosity against the political system or any desire to change things there. I'm very happy with Mrs C so don't have any traditional lovey dovey stuff to write about. I could write about going to work and leading a normal life but I doubt that would cut it...[/quote]

There's plenty of inspiration to be had in the 'ordinary' and even the banal.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that 'normal life' is the basis of most great song-writing (and comedy for that matter).

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1426422265' post='2717842']
You already have the subject matter for your first song, a tale of wanting to make a statement to the world but having nothing to say........
[/quote]
Like this?

Tim Minchin's Rock and Roll Nerd
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP9pnSXhibw"]https://www.youtube....h?v=XP9pnSXhibw[/url]

Edited by rOB

Keep a notebook/diary.
Record anything that takes your fancy: a view, a girl, an event, an emotion...anything that just makes you sit up and notice.
Then note any extreme emotions you feel and why.
John Lennon's bird when he was't with YOKO said he wrote early in the morning and late at night but only when he was upset at somethings.

As an example, I intermittently write poetry but only at 'big events'. Poems I have written have been about the death of two cousins trying to save themselves from drowning, the passing of a well loved old man and as surprise love affair between two friend that turned out well. Amazing what inspires when you look!