Why become a member? ×

Brand snobbery

Guest MoJo

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1423431870' post='2684758']
Ironically something all in graphite wth gunmetal anodised hardware :P
[/quote]

With six wheels, tyres deflated to 20psi

If other bands were asking about the car you drive I'd never get a gig again![URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141115_114018_zpsxgszovir.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141115_114018_zpsxgszovir.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I would never care about what make of bass was being played. Oddly i would more likely to think you had a crap amp or something.

If someone can really play or just plays simple stuff but has great tone i really wouldn't care what they played on, in fact probably be really impressed to see someone get great sound from cheaper gear.

See someone playing a fodera bass, expensive amp and loads of boutique pedals i would think cool then after what a Tit.

See someone getting great sound out of a gear4music bass and a harley benton rig with a few behringer pedals and i would think wow thats cool, but then i would think Tit bet he has an expensive bass at home that he won't bring out haha.

My favourite bass is an Aria bitsa which has been severly modded - EMG pups, gold hardware, new tort plate. Nearly all secondhand. Total cost...maybe just shy of £100 if you count the neck block decals and my Steve Jones "Saucy Lady" decal on the front. It sounds great. And it's unique. I've gigged with other bands whose bassists have "proper" gear and I'd put my mongrel next to boutique any day of the week.

You have a cool looking bass. If it plays well and sounds good, then rock it live. In the words of Oscar Wilde - " A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing".

See, this is where I'm at a disadvantage - I'm only a Sound System - but were I to gig again, I'd (usually) take my Crown 2000 (cos it's lighter) - if the gig 'mattered' I'd get someone to heave my three Matamps in........I can hear the difference, but I don't suppose anyone else would.....but the brownie point count is off the bloody scale!

:)

As far as punters are concerned they have not the slightest clue. Most of 'em can't tell the difference between a bass and a guitar at two paces, let alone what type/brand it is. And anyway, by the time they engage you in conversation they're likely to be, er... 'not at their best'.

I don't care if another bass player mocks my bass, either. If he doesn't understand that a *insert name of budget or unusual brand* can be a good sounding, playable bass then what kind of bass player is he anyway!? The half-witted, suppurating pile of pus!

Edited by discreet

I have a Rockburn P as my perfectly serviceable and playable spare - it's well set up and sounds like my main (Tokai Hard Puncher) - it makes the sound myself and the rest of the band want it to make i.e. a P-bass. Job done.

I'm a self-confessed guitar snob, but less fussy with my bass gear - can't work that one out myself either!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1423433243' post='2684785']
If other bands were asking about the car you drive I'd never get a gig again![url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141115_114018_zpsxgszovir.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]
:lol: :lol:
What car as in...do you have one?
You have to get rid of the jokers before you get off the phone

If your Sammick sounds good, play it
I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks
As someone else said, if you told people it was a custom built bass, they probably wouldn't know

As a bonus, there's something quite liberating, about gigging with a bass you're not too precious about too....

I did test recordings of a variety of fretless basses. Of course, brands like Wal and Warwick placed high. The No. 2 bass, however, was an SX (a cheap 100 dollar copy of a Fender Jazz bass available by mail order). Everyone rated it better than the Fender P bass as well.

I think there's always the chance that serendipity smiled on that factory that day, the right parts ended up on the right bit of wood. In my case I'm very fond of my bitsa jazz copy , the body/ hardware and neck is from a most probably Chinese knock off .

It feels great and it resonates really nicely, a thunky deep tone , holds its tune for weeks on end ... the electronics were a joke but that's easily fixed
with a iron and a 2nd hand set of Squire vintage modified from evil-bay.

Obviously i would never suggest that its better than a boutique zebra wood topped master crafted instrument , but i'm happy for any bass player to pop round and have a noodle to help them get over their GAS.

Dear Mojo,( the OP ), my main gigging bass is the Yamaha BB414 I bought from you for £150 last year, because compared to a German Warwick Corvette and a Dimarzio puped Fender Jazz, it absolutely wipes the floor with them for getting the perfect sound for my band, sits perfectly with the two different guitarists sound, powerful, defined,punchy. I keep trying to gig my more expensive basses, but for this band, they're simply not as good as the cheapy. Luckily my band don't have any gear snobs, we just play what sounds good for the band. Play what you like!

Edited by sykilz

We had a punter come up to us in the break of a big (for us) gig, about 1300 people, he'd been standing at the side watching for the whole first set just itching to ask those dumbass questions. Well, now was his time, he ask the lead guitarist why he plays an Epiphone? "Because I couldn't find the right notes on a trombone" didn't appear to be the answer he was looking for :).

Mind you, sometimes brand snobbery does make sense ...

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/MyOtherLife.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/MyOtherLife.jpg[/IMG][/URL]