Why become a member? ×

If there were more Pro/Name Bassists on BC ..

xilddx

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1423051994' post='2679964']
Some "superstars" do have the time and enjoy mixing with us mere mortals, without being looking for adulation.
I've only met one such person, a guitarist, several times... he was a joy to be with, he had experienced so much and was still interested in exploring new gear and he'd share his experiences as he was recording his latest album... This is a guy who has played with several top tier world famous bands. Humble, funny, knowledgeable, helpful... He even gave me some backing tracks for me to play with (essentially his tracks without his lead guitar) when I told him how much I enjoyed playing along to the songs at home. There are some people like that, he wasn't really learning much from me, that's for sure! But "superstars" can also be just... well, human. Some are nicer than others, just like with the rest of us.
[/quote]

I'm sure there are a few who would take the time to get involved. My point wasn't that they're not nice generous people, but that in general, they probably have other stuff to do and that whatever they could offer by way of knowledge, could probably be passed on via an interview rather than being bombarded with posts on a forum.

Re the original post, which referred to learning from them, anything other than knowledge is basically just personal experience and is, whilst possibly very interesting, subjective.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1423052484' post='2679975']
There's a difference between saying "it can be used as a crutch" and saying "it's always used as a crutch"
[/quote]

I think you'll find he said he wouldn't recommend using one whilst playing... and that using one live is a crutch best left alone.

As a generalisation, I'd say I'd agree, but I think I'd know how or why one was using one once I saw and heard that person play..

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1423052472' post='2679974']
Strangely compelling to re-read, knowing how it all pans out.

I'm relatively new here but not seen that level of vitriol aimed at anyone on here before or since, pro or otherwise. Seems VJ arrived at the site in the wrong time and place.
[/quote]

It was interesting to find out later he was banned from TalkBass. But then again, I've seen people banned there for ridiculous things. He did have a bit of an... uncompromising attitude. The thing is I generally like people like that, in real life, once I know what they're like. But in a forum as a first contact it can backfire.
Regardless... Not a good time.
For the record, I exchanged a couple of PMs with him afterwards, and I do think it's a shame he was left with a bad experience. Attitude or not, he seemed personable and likeable enough and the guy has experienced life as a player in ways the vast majority of us could never dream of. He could certainly contribute something positive if he wanted to, and it's a shame it got cut so early on :(

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1423052138' post='2679967']
...VJ's opinion is interesting in its generally contrary position. Regardless of his CV, it's nice to say "oh do tell more/what makes you say that" rather than "nonsense".
[/quote]
Yes, that would have been more pleasant

Having just read the compression thread, from what was left of his contributions it appears to me, that particular pro didn't appear to have anything to teach other than how to be a dick on an internet forum.

He might have had an opinion, buts that all it was: an opinion. Not the hard facts he tried to present it as.

I don't care how impressive his musical CV was he still came over as a complete dick.

Edited by BigRedX

I don't think that the BC members can learn anything from Pros - they already seem to know everything there is to know about bass playing, and woe by tied to anyone with a differing opinion.

That compression thread was pretty shoddy work by a number of BC members. Shame on you.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1423053276' post='2679991']
I think you'll find he said he wouldn't recommend using one whilst playing... and that using one live is a crutch best left alone.

As a generalisation, I'd say I'd agree, but I think I'd know how or why one was using one once I saw and heard that person play..
[/quote]

You're not seeing the full, original, picture, as the topic has been significantly edited. Not taking sides, simply saying that there's no point raking over those coals; they're ashes.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423055281' post='2680038']
You're not seeing the full, original, picture, as the topic has been significantly edited. Not taking sides, simply saying that there's no point raking over those coals; they're ashes.
[/quote]

I agree, I never wanted it raked over again, but then threads like this crop up and here we are again.
I was present in the original thread pre and post edits so I don't think my version or interpretation
will change.
If you don't want those ashes raked up, then you could have locked it because all you have now is people
picking over the bones. I wouldn't be part of this thread had it been fair-minded..IMHO, of course :lol:

I'm not sure how much overlap between worlds there is, TBH. A pro might say you should always have a P available because you never know when it'll be wanted on a session, but that would be of sublime indifference to me. A trolley to pull a bass cab across a carp ark, or whether to use active PA speakers, will be subjects of sublime indifference to a pro playing at levels somewhere above Dog and Duck. I would say that newcomers to bass could find them of value if deciding whether to try to go pro or to stay as hobbyist, but if they've already selected the appropriate trouserleg of fate then little from the other trouserleg will be of great significance.

This shouldn't be assumed to be in any way me belittling pros, their accomplishment, or their knowledge, and it would be nice to see some more of them on here.

I've just read the compression thread. I can't speak for anyone else, but when someone with a track record suggest something, even if it goes against what I believe, I think it's always worth considering that they may in fact be correct. I always have the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect"]Dunning Kruger [/url]effect in the back of my mind in such cases i.e. that maybe I don't know enough to know how little I do know!

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1423058002' post='2680105']
I always have the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect"]Dunning Kruger [/url]effect in the back of my mind...
[/quote]

Wow! That's interesting... [color=#252525][font=sans-serif]"the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".[/font][/color]

There is the assumption that a "pro" jobbing bass player wouldn't have the time to participate in a forum such as - this is false! "Pro" musicians experience a lot of hanging around and are only too happy to have something to distract them from the endless hanging around or the boredom of sitting on tour buses. These days, Tour buses, hotels, backstage areas etc all usually have wifi - time (or lack of it) is not the problem!
I don't know to what extent BC advertises itself, but my guess at the lack of pros is that most don't know of BC, and those that do are maybe loathe to participate for fear of coming over as the "Big I am". Threads such as the "Compression" one, only confirms their feeling. I've just looked at the thread... what a disgraceful show!

FWIW I too steer well clear of compressors on stage.

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1423040854' post='2679784']

I agree. My guess is that many pros would say something like "get the best bass you can afford and then practice a lot" whereas many posts here are in search of the perfect sound. This is not very scientific, I know, but the fact that the "Bass Guitars" and "Amps and Cabs" forums here have 21,000 topics whereas "Theory and Technique" has 2,000 does indicate that most people come to this site to discuss gear.
[/quote]

I think the reason for the difference in the topic numbers you quote is down to the fact that for many people, who are perfectly happy to take the traditional bass players role & play rock & pop stuff, you don't actually need to know any theory or technique.

If you're going to want to get into jazz or look for session or theatre work then I would think it becomes essential & the players that go down the theory route are likely to be getting the answers to their questions from one to one lessons rather than posting on the forum.

Edited by RhysP