Why become a member? ×

If there were more Pro/Name Bassists on BC ..

xilddx

I'd argue I was 'pro' for a couple of years. By that I mean I was working in a paid band and making my money from it. I was lucky enough to have a '62 re-fin and that with my klotz lead just used to get plugged into the desk for gigging and recording. Never had any pedals or amps or anything. I must be doing something right as I was in demand in the area, but I honestly think that's because I turned up looking like I owned the place rather more than technical ability and the latest gadgets.

If I was playing regularly around London I think I'd be there with a gig bag and lead. I can use things like an SVT Pro II now simply because there is no rush and it's makes me feel better having gear I never had then.

I doubt any punter would know the difference. I still get compliments though, but I do believe that's down to my attitude rather than anything else.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1423005461' post='2679599']
I did a few pro gigs late last year and the pro session bassist had a random hired amp and cab, and his beloved Stingray which had a warped neck and a disgusting action. He knew this, even had it looked at by his trusted tech, and yet it's his main bass. He loves its tone and that's all that really mattered to him. He turned up, plugged it in, sound checked. Got on stage for the show, put in his IEMs, and played great all night.
[/quote]

Pretty much as I'd expect. I've done enough dep gigs to know you learn the music (assuming no dots or charts), turn up, plug in and play. Get paid and go home.

You know what questions to ask beforehand and, just as importantly, which questions you don't need to ask.

There's a lot of people on the forum who don't think much before asking questions and would be better off practising the instrument rather than spending time obsessing over gear.

I was once told to "Play everything. Get out your CD collection and learn the lot."

I suspect most of 'us' on the forum only learn tunes we have to for our band's setlist. Then we only get the bass out for band rehearsals or gigs.

I don't actually think there's a huge amount we would learn about bass playing if there were more pros here. We'd get some nice advice/anecdotes about the music industry and maybe the odd bit of gear advice but I don't think we'd be able to get a whole load of advice about actually playing. Forums aren't suited to that. There's a reason no-one gives lessons via email!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1423012104' post='2679673']
Janek Gwizdala used to, same thing though, I haven't seen him for ages.
[/quote]

IIRC Janek spent most of his on here (when he wasn't pointlessly arguing with people who didn't like his music) posting about recordings he had to sell. IMO that's mainly take and little give, in the end he didn't really have anything to contribute. If he hadn't already made a bit of name for himself as a player he would have most likely been either completely ignored or given an even shorter shrift for his antics.

I remember how Yolanda Charles got inundated with replies when she came on here. No wonder she's gone quiet, I don't blame her. I guess this would have happened on any music forum. If I were a big name pro and I wanted to use a forum, I wouldn't do it under my real name.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1423004346' post='2679579']
It would be nice to see some pro-players opinions on gear and how much they either get into it, or don`t. Having listened to quite a few bass isolated tracks the impression I get is that we on here are much more into the search for the eternal bass sound than they are, as many of those isolated tracks sound quite rough.
[/quote]

I agree. My guess is that many pros would say something like "get the best bass you can afford and then practice a lot" whereas many posts here are in search of the perfect sound. This is not very scientific, I know, but the fact that the "Bass Guitars" and "Amps and Cabs" forums here have 21,000 topics whereas "Theory and Technique" has 2,000 does indicate that most people come to this site to discuss gear.

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1423040854' post='2679784']

I agree. My guess is that many pros would say something like "get the best bass you can afford and then practice a lot" whereas many posts here are in search of the perfect sound. This is not very scientific, I know, but the fact that the "Bass Guitars" and "Amps and Cabs" forums here have 21,000 topics whereas "Theory and Technique" has 2,000 does indicate that most people come to this site to discuss gear.
[/quote]

It's like a dieting forum:
How do I lose weight?
Proper answer - eat less, exercise more.
Forum answer would have hundreds of sub forums all dedicated to various pseudo scientific theories because everyone knows the answer but it's not a quick fix. It takes too long and requires some dedication.

New gear is the quick fix but in a month's time you'll be searching for more new gear once the new gear effect has worn off.

Mani (or someone purporting to be Mani) appeared on BC a while back, and made a few posts about playing with Primal Scream (didn't mention the Roses IIRC)
A thread was started called "MANI'S ON BASSCHAT!!" and he seemed to vanish. I wonder whether he got inundated with PMs. I certainly don't remember him getting any abuse on the forum, just enthusiastic welcomes.

I've skipped a lot so as far as the OP goes..

I've met a few world class musicians and played with one or two, IMO, and I can say that musically I think they are on
another planet. You wont get to where those guys have unless you have something Special.. Of course, some
guys fluke a fantastic career but you don't get to 1st call status in a top muso town without being very decent indeed
and that level and what it takes is not likely to be recognisable by most. So, you certainly learn from their skill levels and their
inate musicality, plus if you delve deeper, you'll likely find a massive amount of practice and sacrifice... but that wont amount
to that much unless they have something else...which the top guys have. Whatever is it, they have IT, IMO.

Good thread Nige.

It's very interesting to see that some players on here feel that talking to a pro player can offer them nothing. I would have expected there to be more push back on that view.

A pro player gets the affirmation of his skills, ability and choices on a daily basis. He doesn't need to discuss what's the best cab and be called out by a geek because the rule book says his gear sounds crap. He's got people lining up to offer him work based on how he plays, how he sounds and his attitude and his approach. He knows stuff that's far more important than what's the best bass for metal.

Any player who has "made it" or just managed to get to the next level can offer something that is worth hearing. These guys should be welcomed.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1423043579' post='2679828']
New gear is the quick fix but in a month's time you'll be searching for more new gear once the new gear effect has worn off.
[/quote]

Yes, and you STILL won't be able to play like [insert name of pro bass player] !!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1423044996' post='2679847']
He knows stuff that's far more important than what's the best bass for metal.
[/quote]

Yes, but I bet he doesn't actually know what the best bass for metal is. I don't think anyone does.
I've been on this forum for five years and no-one has been able to tell me.

Next time I meet a pro player I'm just going to come straight out with it and ask them.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1423045263' post='2679857']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Yes, and you STILL won't be able to play like [ADAM CLAYTON] !![/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I had cause to learn a U2 track a while ago for an audition and the bass line was not as simple as you might suppose. :)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1422999490' post='2679478']
If you think that's true, then this just about sums up just how amateur we are.
[/quote]

I'd agree... talk to someone who has a gazillion hours as a top level bass player in a studio career and you tell me he doesn't know his tone stack inside out. even if he didn't before, he will have worked with enough top class ears, again at the top of the tree of their trade, who would impart the knowledge. And if they don't take on board the required lessons, there will be another guy along who will..
They basically work at a level we never get to be exposed to....with talent we never get exposed to, with technology and expertise that we hardly get exposed to and certainly not consistant exposure. Cream rises to the top for a good reason
and the fact that we are all different levels of some sort of cream tells us something...doesn't it...?? Unless we have all been incredibly unlucky in our music quests..

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1423000422' post='2679491']
I was just shocked at how badly a pro-player was spoken to on the compression thread. He did not wade in being the big 'I am', he just gave his opinion, as any member has the right to give their opinion. Straight off the bat the first reply was that his opinion was nonsense. it's almost as if through some kind of jealousy forges members to treat pro's badly, especially with the 'who do you think you are' kind of attitude. After that episode I'm not surprised real pro's do not come here. Who'd want to after all?
[/quote]

Got say, this is how I read it.

I enjoy all the BS and fun on this forum. In terms of stuff I've actually learned, most of it has been about the manipulation of sound. In particular 5imon's posts about compression and mixing have been very educational

I like to share what I know about recording, mixing, and also effects. Although a lot of us on here have gigged all manner of crazy pedalboards, I don't know of many "pro" types who do the same, so I guess that's something they could learn about

Stuff I think we could learn from Pros? Well, how to get the gigs for a start! Other than that, they could join in the discussion of technique or sound on the same level as the rest of us. I don't see any reason to respect a "pro" opinion any more than an amateur opinion, unless it's about how to get pro gigs

EDIT: It'd certainly be fascinating to hear pro players' studio experiences, in particular how certain sounds were made (if they were in on the mix)

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1423040854' post='2679784']
[/quote]

+1, and I think it's because the vast majority are able to contribute at some level to a discussion about pickups, a lightweight rig or a sunburst finish as opposed to a discussion about modes and pitch axis theory. Gear subjects can include many more people as all members have some sort of gear but not everyone plays in a band or wants to learn theory or record etc. You don't even have to play to contribute.

Re the OP, I'm not sure there's anything to be learnt from pro musicians that couldn't be imparted in an interview. In my mind, there are two types of pro anyway. There's the superstar household name (obviously many are top of their musical game but there are some who don't even know which strings they use or how to tune a bass) and the pro working studio / gigging type. Neither is likely to have time to contribute but if they do, the first short burst of "you're talking crap" will put an end to it.

The superstar has better things to do and the working pro session / depping / gigging player sees no advantage in imparting all his hard won knowledge about "how" and "who" to the possible future competition.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1423045976' post='2679870']
...a lot of us on here have gigged all manner of crazy pedalboards, I don't know of many "pro" types who do the same, so I guess that's something they could learn about...
[/quote]

I believe there are any amount of pro bass players up on YouTube who go into great detail about their pedalboards.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1423045976' post='2679870']
It'd certainly be fascinating to hear pro players' studio experiences, in particular how certain sounds were made (if they were in on the mix)
[/quote]

That would be down to the producer and engineer... the bass player has little control over the recorded sound in most cases.

Apologies for the double quote, by the way. :D

Edited by discreet