Why become a member? ×

If there were more Pro/Name Bassists on BC ..

xilddx

It would be nice to see some pro-players opinions on gear and how much they either get into it, or don`t. Having listened to quite a few bass isolated tracks the impression I get is that we on here are much more into the search for the eternal bass sound than they are, as many of those isolated tracks sound quite rough.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1423000931' post='2679509']
Exactly. Give an opinion and the cynical nature of forum mentality shows up. 'You would say that, I bet you're endorsed by them!' etc etc.

I have a few things I'd like to put up on the forum, one of which would members might find useful, but have refrained so far as I'm afraid it'll get ripped to shreds like everything else seems to. I know the forum can be like this and I still contribute to some threads but I often bite my tongue and refrain from contributing as it feels like it'll descend into an unnecessary argument.

Theres one thing the Pro players COULD contribute... An opinion on why they don't contribute lol!
[/quote]
It's really strange the way forum mentality works, and there's definitely a 'right' way of thinking at any given time. Doubtless this is all described by normal group dynamics but I wonder if any studies have found any interesting differences in the way consensus is found on forums?

Stevie was ripped apart a few years ago for suggesting different size speakers have different sounds, and yet nowadays that opinion (with caveats) goes without remark far more often. And gear seems to undergo flavour of the week, never mind month.

You should post up whatever it is that you've thought about contributing as some will always find it interesting. If you get some negative comments just ignore them and just address those who are genuinely interested. :)

I did a few pro gigs late last year and the pro session bassist had a random hired amp and cab, and his beloved Stingray which had a warped neck and a disgusting action. He knew this, even had it looked at by his trusted tech, and yet it's his main bass. He loves its tone and that's all that really mattered to him. He turned up, plugged it in, sound checked. Got on stage for the show, put in his IEMs, and played great all night.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1423005383' post='2679598']
It's really strange the way forum mentality works, and there's definitely a 'right' way of thinking at any given time. Doubtless this is all described by normal group dynamics but I wonder if any studies have found any interesting differences in the way consensus is found on forums?

Stevie was ripped apart a few years ago for suggesting different size speakers have different sounds, and yet nowadays that opinion (with caveats) goes without remark far more often. And gear seems to undergo flavour of the week, never mind month.

You should post up whatever it is that you've thought about contributing as some will always find it interesting. If you get some negative comments just ignore them and just address those who are genuinely interested. :)
[/quote]

I think you are pretty much on the money.

It's people who post their prescriptive opinions who tend to get more flak. And rightly so. If I said only an dumb-ass would cart a heavy amp and cab to every gig along with a backup bass, when they could take a modelling/multi-effects floorboard and one bass (cuz only a dickbrain breaks bass strings, right?), I would expect some flak. But I enjoy that :) But if I was a pro (I do pro gigs, mind, even though I'm a nothing) why should I get pissed off if someone says I'm talking crap? I should have a reasonable argument for why I'm right.

Pros expect more respect I imagine, because they are pros. They have nothing to learn (except from other pros) and everything to teach. Right? Or, wrong?

So, with that in mind, what can we learn from them if they were active members of Basschat?

The thing is that "Pro" covers a whole range of people, from people like ( for example) Anthony Jackson & Pino who are held in high regard by both other pros & amateurs alike to people who just happen to be pro because they got lucky with whatever band they are in, and might actually not know as much or be as proficient on the instrument as many people on here are.

In that respect I'd say that just because somebody is a "pro" doesn't mean they'll necessarily have anything more to offer than any committed amateur.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1423007204' post='2679628']
The thing is that "Pro" covers a whole range of people, from people like ( for example) Anthony Jackson & Pino who are held in high regard by both other pros & amateurs alike to people who just happen to be pro because they got lucky with whatever band they are in, and might actually not know as much or be as proficient on the instrument as many people on here are.

In that respect I'd say that just because somebody is a "pro" doesn't mean they'll necessarily have anything more to offer than any committed amateur.
[/quote]

Depends on what you want or need to learn though doesn't it? I'd be much more interested in how they developed their musical aesthetic, for example. And how they developed their skills and facility to achieve what they had in their head. And how they feel their aesthetic has changed over the years and how they accommodated it. How they worked to meet the needs of their band or bandleader. Such things like that. I could learn from Guiggsy.

I really couldn't care less about their equipment anymore. I've learned enough about kit from other Basschat members and have what I need now. YMMV

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1423006589' post='2679616']
So, with that in mind, what can we learn from them if they were active members of Basschat?
[/quote]
Probably not that much in terms of gear unless they've got hold of some gear that's still in development, but I'd imagine their experience in certain situations might be enlightening. Even if most of us would never find ourselves in that position.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1423008269' post='2679641']
Probably not that much in terms of gear unless they've got hold of some gear that's still in development, but I'd imagine their experience in certain situations might be enlightening. Even if most of us would never find ourselves in that position.
[/quote]

You have to be in touch with what you want to achieve as a musician/bassist. I've been told on here more than once that my assertion that we should be learning to express ourselves through music and chosen instrument is bollocks. So where does that leave us in terms of learning from a pro's experiences? Is it mostly a technical exercise for some of us?

I'm striving to become a pro, whatever you define pro as, and currently gear doesn't bother me all that much. I want a couple of basses that cover most sounds that all have a nice neck and sound good and that's me done. Amp wise I want something I can move about with ease and sounds good, pedal wise, well I don't own any pedals at all currently!

FWIW, I HATE compression in my live chain, I control my own dynamics ;)

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1423009439' post='2679655']
I'm striving to become a pro, whatever you define pro as, and currently gear doesn't bother me all that much. I want a couple of basses that cover most sounds that all have a nice neck and sound good and that's me done. Amp wise I want something I can move about with ease and sounds good, pedal wise, well I don't own any pedals at all currently!

[b]FWIW, I HATE compression in my live chain, I control my own dynamics ;)[/b]
[/quote]

Stop that! :lol:

Seriously, it all depends what music you're playing. I need a little compression on some gigs and plenty on others. Depends on the level of dynamics you need for whatever band. As amateurs I think we have to be more adaptable given that we will be using random sound systems and FOH people.

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1423009685' post='2679657']
If it's their input on gear that people are interested in, surely it's the bass techs that you'd have just as much interest in as the pro players.
[/quote]

Totally agree. That was exactly my point on another thread. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It would be much more [b]useful[/b] on here to have professional techs, sound engineers, luthiers, recording engineers, producers, tour managers etc. than pro players.[/font][/color]

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1423008538' post='2679645']
You have to be in touch with what you want to achieve as a musician/bassist. I've been told on here more than once that my assertion that we should be learning to express ourselves through music and chosen instrument is bollocks. So where does that leave us in terms of learning from a pro's experiences? Is it mostly a technical exercise for some of us?
[/quote]

If you'd have said that on a guitar forum no one would have batted an eyelid - very many guitarists think their instrument is all about expression. I wonder what that tells us about the way bassists think? That our job is just about holding things together? There are plenty of session players who are first call precisely because of the way they express themselves, otherwise producers would just programme in the bass themselves!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1423008538' post='2679645']
[/quote]

I can't believe people think that, after all, you're playing a musical instrument, it just happens to be a bass.

I'm personally not at all interested in groove or 'holding things together.

For me it's all about creating music, and expression.

Steve Lawson used to come on here, but I haven't seen him for ages.

Janek Gwizdala used to, same thing though, I haven't seen him for ages.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1423009704' post='2679658']
Stop that! :lol:

Seriously, it all depends what music you're playing. I need a little compression on some gigs and plenty on others. Depends on the level of dynamics you need for whatever band. As amateurs I think we have to be more adaptable given that we will be using random sound systems and FOH people.
[/quote]
No don't stop the peaks and dynamics ;)

I have actually been looking to buy pedals and build a generic pedal board as the function stuff I do could use some pedals, even some compression every now and then aha

I totally agree with your points on expressing and creating! Though we are there to lay the rhythmic foundations, we are also there as a melodic instrument. The way Jamerson connected the vocal melody to the rhythm through his improvised lines that were a take on a walking bass line, but funked up is what we should all strive to be able to do!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1423004346' post='2679579']
It would be nice to see some pro-players opinions on gear and how much they either get into it, or don`t. Having listened to quite a few bass isolated tracks the impression I get is that we on here are much more into the search for the eternal bass sound than they are, as many of those isolated tracks sound quite rough.
[/quote]

Yeah i feel the same after listening to isolated tracks. I guess if your in the studio a lot you will know that much of your sound will be lost in the mix and that to a certain degree you are not fully in charge of the end result.

I also think that if your a pro you wont be wanting to be told your wrong which in many cases is subjective anyhow. But amatures and semi pros are more likely to be more willing to listen and even be told there wrong.

At present im very willing to be told im wrong and learn. But if i ever make it i think my attitude would change and while i would not come on a forum and give it the big i am, i would come on a forum and expect a lot more respect even if im wrong.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1423016329' post='2679686'] But amatures and semi pros are more likely to be more willing to listen and even be told there wrong. At present im very willing to be told im wrong and learn. [/quote]

Glad to hear this as it's " amateurs" and " their" and " I'm". :yarr: :ph34r: :D

Edited by Bassman Sam

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1423018026' post='2679688']
Glad to hear this as it's " amateurs" and " their" and " I'm". :yarr: :ph34r: :D
[/quote]

Haha normally the auto spell check picks these things out and i correct, apart from my other poor grammar. But very funny :D .

See if i was a pro i would not stand for this!. And would be leaving...

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1423011082' post='2679668']
If you'd have said that on a guitar forum no one would have batted an eyelid - very many guitarists think their instrument is all about expression. I wonder what that tells us about the way bassists think? That our job is just about holding things together? There are plenty of session players who are first call precisely because of the way they express themselves, otherwise producers would just programme in the bass themselves!
[/quote]

I hadn't really considered that maybe many on here think their role is that limited. Interesting.