Why become a member? ×

If there were more Pro/Name Bassists on BC ..

xilddx

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1422997692' post='2679427']
I would say that , to echo what's been said , that most 'pros' would actually learn more about the intricacies of gear from us , than we would of most of them .

The 'compression gate' thread , I would say proved that - I'd wager 51mon knows more than most .
[/quote]

If you think that's true, then this just about sums up just how amateur we are.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1422998883' post='2679458']
On another forum that I moderate, there was question of being able to have contact with a very big name in the lefty bass world. The forum members were asked "What would you like to ask the fellow..?". There was an embarrassed silence for a while; one or two wanted to know what strings he preferred, another couple "Which bass did you play on that famous song..?". In short, no-one really had any idea as to how to address him with anything more 'meaningful', and the occasion passed by.
It's not certain that the points of view of 'names' are really that much in phase with forums at all. There are exceptions, and it's no reflection on either the quality of the forum nor that of the 'name', but I doubt, if there was a Venn diagram, that there'd be an enormous overlap.
Just my tuppence-worth.
[/quote]

What did you expect asking the members of leathergimpsuitschat.com about Macca's bass playing?
:D

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1422999490' post='2679478']
If you think that's true, then this just about sums up just how amateur we are.
[/quote]

I dunno Sean, I think some pro players are into gear and others don't give a crap either way. Just like 'normal' bass players. I know of one pro player who has just the one bass, turns up and does his thing and that's it. He's not really interested in gear [i]or[/i] forums.

General gossip about working with big names is always interesting but they're not going to put that on a forum.

I'd be interested to know how they go about learning and prepping for tours, how big name auditions work. There's probably many live BCers who could answer these I guess..

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422999820' post='2679481']
I dunno Sean, I think some pro players are into gear and others don't give a crap either way. Just like 'normal' bass players. I know of one pro player who has just the one bass, turns up and does his thing and that's it. He's not really interested in gear [i]or[/i] forums.
[/quote]

I was just shocked at how badly a pro-player was spoken to on the compression thread. He did not wade in being the big 'I am', he just gave his opinion, as any member has the right to give their opinion. Straight off the bat the first reply was that his opinion was nonsense. it's almost as if through some kind of jealousy forges members to treat pro's badly, especially with the 'who do you think you are' kind of attitude. After that episode I'm not surprised real pro's do not come here. Who'd want to after all?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1423000422' post='2679491']
Straight off the bat the first reply was that his opinion was nonsense. it's almost as if through some kind of jealousy forges members to treat pro's badly, especially with the 'who do you think you are' kind of attitude. After that episode I'm not surprised real pro's do not come here. Who'd want to after all?
[/quote]

I got the impression it was six of one to a certain extent.
But it certainly wasn't one of Basschat's finest moments, that's for sure. Anyway, moving on...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1423000117' post='2679486']
I had a hunch it was you from the show us what you look like page, you can tell a lot from a mans eyes and the colour of his breathing tube :o
[/quote]

I knew I should have used a fake picture... :ph34r:

[attachment=182867:Skub_Dive.jpg]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1423000422' post='2679491']

I was just shocked at how badly a pro-player was spoken to on the compression thread. He did not wade in being the big 'I am', he just gave his opinion, as any member has the right to give their opinion. Straight off the bat the first reply was that his opinion was nonsense. it's almost as if through some kind of jealousy forges members to treat pro's badly, especially with the 'who do you think you are' kind of attitude. After that episode I'm not surprised real pro's do not come here. Who'd want to after all?
[/quote]

Exactly. Give an opinion and the cynical nature of forum mentality shows up. 'You would say that, I bet you're endorsed by them!' etc etc.

I have a few things I'd like to put up on the forum, one of which would members might find useful, but have refrained so far as I'm afraid it'll get ripped to shreds like everything else seems to. I know the forum can be like this and I still contribute to some threads but I often bite my tongue and refrain from contributing as it feels like it'll descend into an unnecessary argument.

Theres one thing the Pro players COULD contribute... An opinion on why they don't contribute lol!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423000704' post='2679500']
I got the impression it was six of one to a certain extent.
But it certainly wasn't one of Basschat's finest moments, that's for sure. Anyway, moving on...
[/quote]

Go back and read it. First post after Vails first post.. 'nonsense'. I think that would get anyone's back up

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1422994661' post='2679338']
.. who actually had the time and inclination to contribute, say, 200 posts a year, what do you think we would learn from them that is not available from other sources, including each other as members?

And another thought, are there things they can learn from us amateur/semi pro members?

[size=5][color=#ff0000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Without going into WHY they are [b]NOT[/b] posting here please! [/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

That they're just like we are in our day job. We find a way that works for us and get on with it. Sometimes we get a good boss with a good project locally, sometimes we don't.

I think we put these people on a pedestal when really they're just ordinary guys/girls with an unusual job.

I know lots of pros, I also know lots of builders who worked on some prestigious projects, they've been to paces and seen things normal people have never/will never see. It's all the same.

:)

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1423000973' post='2679511']
Go back and read it. First post after Vails first post.. 'nonsense'. I think that would get anyone's back up
[/quote]

Well that's true, but I don't want to encourage a mass exodus to that thread, it's done and dusted already. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1422999025' post='2679462']
Hahaha! You reckon? They can possibly tell you what bass they played, maybe what amp they used, but after that the sound is all in the hands of the geezer mixing the album :)

And I'm wondering if that information is of any use anyway. But I've an open mind on that.
[/quote]

It just seems to be an oft-asked question that's all :)

If I were having a pro record my band I'd be well interested in the sound the geezer was getting and how they got it. Just to learn if nothing else although I'd like to think they'd like my input into how I want the end result to sound.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423001077' post='2679515']
Well that's true, but I don't want to encourage a mass exodus to that thread, it's done and dusted already. :)
[/quote]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Sorry, I just found it deeply embarrassing. But, in answer to the OP, there probably are pro's with the time and inclination and IMHO we can learn from them, but they have to be listened to in the first place. But based on past performance they probably cant be arsed with the potential grief. After all, a pro who advised '[color=#282828]to develop control over your instrument' was told '[/color][color=#282828]That's some backwards dark ages opinion you got there'[/color][/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]Sheesh! :([/color][/font]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1422996151' post='2679382']
Ironically I have a pro mate that is the biggest gear nerd I know so I'm not so sure about the idea they don't have time for playing with new gadgets etc.
[/quote]i have a VERY pro mate , i showed him my markbass head and he said "what is it". When i told him he said "it can't be much cop cos its too light" ??

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1423001784' post='2679532']
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I just found it deeply embarrassing.[/font]
[/quote]

It [i]is [/i]embarrassing, but I'm sure we've all posted comments we're not proud of. Me more than most, probably. :D

Edited by discreet