Why become a member? ×

Alright Now - What do you do in the verses?

allighatt0r

Like a few have said already, I sing Alright Now so it gives me the opportunity during the verse to grab the mic on the stand and do a bit of posing - so it doesn't really bother me.

However, in the past when I've not sung and just played bass, during the verse I have mouthed the lyrics as though I was singing along, waved my arms around, jumped around like a loony and generally tried to get the audience to join in - thank God I sing it nowadays!

Mart

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1422551494' post='2674035']

Just hang out, smug in the knowledge that you're responsible for making people's arses wiggle when the chorus comes in.
[/quote]

This.
I just stand there, to the point where everyone wonders why I'm not playing (although I'm invariably mentally cursing the drummer for playing too fast). Then I come in on the chorus and everything makes sense.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1422566821' post='2674248']
During the verses, I contemplate all the adulation I will receive when everyone present notices that I play the solo part correctly, complete with the open A rhythm, [u]which so many leave out[/u].
[/quote]

Being completely unaware of them in the first place

I played in a Free tribute band for two years and obviously had to play it.

The original has no bass over the verses, so you do the same - nothing, I usually had a swig of drink.

It really makes me cringe when I see a naff pub covers band bass player actually playing an A to D over the verses. :angry:

I'm not a big fan of the song and hadn't listened to it in years so, when a random collective I jam with decided to put it in a set I just jammed away. People enjoyed our massacre of the song. Having read this thread and gone back and listened to the original I'll see how the rest of the group react to me playing nowt until it matters...

I'm quite embarrassed that my recollection of the bass line was so off!

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1422569454' post='2674291']
I'm quite embarrassed that my recollection of the bass line was so off!
[/quote]

Ah, the human memory is very flawed. It tends to edit itself... probably a survival mechanism to stop people actually dying of shame.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422569606' post='2674294']
Ah, the human memory is very flawed. It tends to edit itself... probably a survival mechanism to stop people actually dying of shame.
[/quote]

What's more worrying is no-one else paid enough attention to either the original or what I was playing to point it out...

Why all the negativity for All Right Now?

To repeat what I said in an earlier post, crowds still love it 45 years. Surely that says something?

I can't help suspecting that there is a bit of musical snobbery going on here i.e:

"It's a successful song that people like, therefore it must be naff, and quite definitely below me. I'm so much more sophisticated than that".

If you're playing at home then fine, but if you're playing out in a (non tribute) covers band, then you need to play what people want to hear - and an awful lot of people want to hear All Right Now, Mustang Sally, Johhny B. Goode etc.

Personally I'd have been quite happy to have written any of those three examples.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1422556888' post='2674114']
I really liked that, but then it always felt like there was a cross-over between soul and rock in the 60s.
[/quote]
Cheers A M, glad it's not just me then. :D
I bet Bubinga5 likes it as well though.
B)

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1422625801' post='2674771']
Why all the negativity for All Right Now?

To repeat what I said in an earlier post, crowds still love it 45 years. Surely that says something?

I can't help suspecting that there is a bit of musical snobbery going on here i.e:

"It's a successful song that people like, therefore it must be naff, and quite definitely below me. I'm so much more sophisticated than that".

If you're playing at home then fine, but if you're playing out in a (non tribute) covers band, then you need to play what people want to hear - and an awful lot of people want to hear All Right Now, Mustang Sally, Johhny B. Goode etc.

Personally I'd have been quite happy to have written any of those three examples.
[/quote]

Got to agree with this. It's not the fault of the song itself that people like it so much and it always gets a good reception at gigs.

While it's always a good thing to enjoy what you play, as a cover band, so to is playing what the punter wants to hear.

I'm afraid i'm in chasing the roots club , /cough cough I'm aware that its not a true cover, but for filling out the sound its what we've ended up doing

* ill get me coat*

The singer always makes a point of mentioning the scowl on my face during the big slide during the solo , its a very long way to shift down my tbirds neck.

The fact that you've dropped out shouldn't mean you're doing nothing. You're focus should be that you're still "playing" the number even though you're not actually playing your instrument.

There are a lot of numbers where the bass drops out or comes in later for dramatic effect, Whole Of The Moon, Won't Get Fooled Again, Valerie, Jive Talking, Get Lucky etc.