Why become a member? ×

Perfectly preserved Fender Bass history

wateroftyne

1952 Precision. Probably the best condition we'll ever see. Yours for $20,000.

http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Fender-Precision+Bass+in+butterscotch+blonde-1952/3859

[size=3](Yes, we know $20,000 is crazy for a bass / Sadowsky does it better / it's so new it's probably fake or an unplayable dog, etc. etc. Just look at the pics and enjoy it.)[/size]

What a stunner. Needs to be roadworn/relic ed though i will get my sandpaper... only kidding.

The question is for whoever buys it would they play it?, would you play it or keep it in a glass cabinet?. I think if i had the cash and bought it i would play it but only at home and only now and then.

Great spot, what a fab example. Not a bad price either imo. It does annoy me when people put the bridge covers on the wrong way round though!!
Also, as has been mentioned, sloppy stringing, for a 20k bass!

I'm trying to convince Detlef to do a second edition of his book, as there are quite a few great examples not included in his first issue.

This caught my attention:

[i]"[color=#000000][font=Georgia,]they adjusted the nut, bridge and action in order to make the bass as playable as possible"[/font][/color][/i]

Definitely try before you buy from the sounds of it.

Cool stuff!

Is it the same as this bass I wonder: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmOZbavSAno"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmOZbavSAno[/url]

With the wooden saddles!!!!

P.S. He said artistry and craftsmanship... now the early P basses were made with care, but they were intended to make money, and be as simple as possible to make. Artistry in design, sure, but in the production floor, it's about getting the product good enough and out the door. That's my understanding anyway.

[quote name='Mexicola' timestamp='1420411712' post='2649200']
Looks amazing. Id still rather buy a 60s and two 70s for that price though. Does anyone know how much this would have retailed for in 1952?
[/quote]

+1 but If I had that money, and tried it, and liked it, I might say otherwise.

It's not every day I get to pick up a genuine piece of Leo Fender history.

Does look a bit odd. The gig bags aren't air tight are they? the metal parts on the gig bag are as corroded as you'd expect from something sitting round for 62 years and though obviously the bag protects the bass to some extent you'd expect some discolouration of metal parts over that period surely? the knobs, tuners etc look like they just came out of the factory. I'm still sticking at my arbitrary £1000 limit on any bass purchase so it's a non starter for me anyway ;) I guess if some 'expert' has put it on record that it's pretty much all original then you have to go with it. Maybe sue him for the cost if it turns out to be fake?

Edited by KevB

I dont think its odd at all. If an instrument is well looked after, and not gigged every day, then it should be in this condition. The '52 I owned until recently was in near mint condition, and the '53 I now have is the same, well looked after instruments, which is why they command big money, the same as any well kept antiquity. Out of thousands of examples produced, to find a dozen or so still in top condition is not that unusual, imho.

Not everyone gigs their gear either. That was also the same back in the 50's. I stopped gigging in '94, so for the past 20 years, my basses have been in cases, for the most part, so have not aged at all in that time. If someone bought a bass in the 50's, and played in their houses every couple of weeks for an hour, and it was in a case, it would be still almost mint, with probably some light lacquer checking.

The '52 I had was never kept in its gig bag as they are not very protective, so was always kept in a hard tweed case for the majority of its life.

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1420627777' post='2651393']
Does look a bit odd. The gig bags aren't air tight are they? the metal parts on the gig bag are as corroded as you'd expect from something sitting round for 62 years and though obviously the bag protects the bass to some extent you'd expect some discolouration of metal parts over that period surely? the knobs, tuners etc look like they just came out of the factory.
[/quote]

The bag zips aren't heavy duty chromed. Have a look at the unchromed steel woodscrew heads, you can see the discolouration there.