Why become a member? ×

Jools' Hoot

Roland Rock

I've just had a flick through some of last night's Hootenanny show. Some promising guests on there.

High points for me were Paolo Nutini and Ruby Turner.
I must confess I think I'm developing a bit of a man crush on Paolo; he is young, good looking and very very talented. His latest album is superb and his true passion for music shines through on it. On Jools, it was the Scream song - great band and a very well executed breakdown over a lovely synth bass foundation. Love it.

I think it was Ruby Turner who I found a bit irritating and contrived on a previous Jools show. This time it was pure gospel building to a rousing climax which had the whole room going.

When it came to the 'legends' such as William Bell, Boz Scaggs and Wilco, maybe you had to experience their heyday to acquire a respect for their talent? I'll be diplomatic and say that personally I was quite underwhelmed with their music :-(
Nice to see NWR playing with Wilco though :-)

I was commenting last night on how talented Joss Stone is, and where has she been lately? She is an amazing singer, and has real soul, but doesn't seem to have done as much as she could have. Next to supposed 'soul singer' Paloma faith last night with her weird fake singing voice she puts on there was no competition.

I thought Wilko needed a frontman!

Paulo Nutini is very good. Great tone!!

Edited by cameltoe

I have to agree regarding Joss Stone being just too much and both Mrs2611 and I thought Wilco needed a front man, it was nothing until he stopped the singing and started playing the guitar then he came to life, we switched over in the end and watched the Queen gig instead......that was OK I guess

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1420108620' post='2645556']

I thought Wilko needed a frontman!

[/quote]

Agree. I`m sure that his recent few years have affected him greatly, but his voice really didn`t have much presence at all, whereas his guitar was as spot-on as ever.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1420112332' post='2645615']
Agree. I`m sure that his recent few years have affected him greatly, but his voice really didn`t have much presence at all, whereas his guitar was as spot-on as ever.
[/quote]

This. Wilko is a legend but I'd love to hear more of the stuff with RD - it worked, and so often these kind of collaborations don't!

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1420113844' post='2645649']
It's a shame Roger Daltrey wasn't there to sing with Wilko, the Cd is actually very good with RD to front it!
[/quote]
[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1420114334' post='2645657']
This. Wilko is a legend but I'd love to hear more of the stuff with RD - it worked, and so often these kind of collaborations don't!
[/quote]

Agree, that CD is great, hope they do some more work together.

I haven't watched it all yet, but from what I've seen so far, Paloma Faith trying to be Tina Turner didn't work for me.

I can't stand the "interviews" but the JH band makes a great noise, IMO.

Even if you don't like what they're playing, musicians playing live is the greatest thing.

Personally I thought Josh Stone very vanilla, Paloma Faith a belter (woud loved to have seen her with the Penetrators), Wilko pure r'n'r, guitar going out and all (though agree about the vocals), Paulo Nutini disappointing and Roni Spector better than expected considering her age.

On a bass related note, I thought Norman sold his shoreline gold Jazz last year? More than one of them perhaps.

Have to agree with the Wilco needed a front man idea - after what he has been through, perhaps too much is expected from him?
Paloma Faith I had previously disregarded as just the next one off the production line, but might have to amend that opinion now.
Tried to count the total number of instruments being played on the show - shed loads...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1420122569' post='2645785']
I haven't watched it all yet,

Even if you don't like what they're playing, musicians playing live is the greatest thing.
[/quote]

This is why I love his show. I haven't watched it yet either, but his usual shows are good. I usually always like the solo performers that you've never heard of who floor you with some amazing song in the middle of the floor!

Considering that as recently as May, Wilko was forced to cancel his gigs as the then apparently inevitable conclusion to his battle with cancer seemed imminent, he could have appeared with a washboard growling Swahili folk and I'd have been well stoked. We lose too many of our heroes each year, and the fact that Wilko could not only shout "I'm still here!", but go on to strut round the stage like he owned it with no less than the incredible Lord Watt-Roy quite frankly made my new year! Who cares if the guitar was a bit out of tune, or the voice wasn't perfect? Hate to break it to you, but 'twas often the case, even before the illness, but that's part of what made him Wilko!

The Hoot was dull, dull and then a bit more dull. Joss Stone, a good voice but just doesn't do enough, Paloma, fair play to her, but she def went to the cameron diaz school of dancing.

The rest was mainly plod, the same tempo throughout out, if I wanted to stay up this would put you to sleep, can artists not rock any more!

Wilko, fair play to him with all that he has been through, shame Roger was the singer for this as others have said, but hey to see NWR grooving is always a treat (the Shoreline gold Jazz is his Faith and grace replica not his original jazz).

All ways happy to see musicians playing live though, but come on Jool's, lets rock it up a bit and lets see the new year in with a bit more "effort" in it.

Zoomed through it slightly pishedly after last night's gig.

Paloma and Sheeran... I'm not a fan of either. Fast forward, fast forward.
Ellie Golding: STOP DOING THAT STUPID HICCUP AND THAT STUPID INTAKE OF BREATH. STOP IT. NOW. Ahem. Sorry.
Nutini is pretty awesome and I would love to see him live but I can't help thinking that it's a triumph of arranging over actual content.
Wilko - marvellous as ever to see him and NW-R. I thought the drummer was a bit pants, but hey-ho.
Ronnie Spector is slightly worrying, but she's 71 for gawd's sake. I rather enjoyed it, and Be My Baby is one of the top 10 singles of all time (so shoot me).
Ms Stone... no. I find it all very overblown and fake I'm afraid. But I liked her, um, dress. Oops.
William Bell: top man. Bravo.
Top prize: Boz Scaggs. Just how flipping great is Lido Shuffle?

Then I went to bed.