Why become a member? ×

Jools' Hoot

Roland Rock

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1420155100' post='2646278']
It always tickles me when people slag these sort of shows off. :)

If there's something on telly that you're not enjoying then turning it off (or over) would surely be the sensible thing to do?
[/quote]

As I point out above, I think a lot of peoples problem with the regular Later... is that it's the only live music show on TV, and it's invariably a bland smug fest. The reason I mentioned The Tube in my comment above, apart from the Jools presenting connection, is that it had a wide range of music on it. I wouldn't like a lot of it, but a bit like the John Peel Show, it would typically have something that I'd like amongst all the variety. Now it's just talent school trained clones and has-beens.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1420155100' post='2646278']
Of course, if you're [b]intentionally[/b] looking for something to grizzle about, watching the whole thing in abject misery will do the job nicely.
I'm sure you can get yourselves nice and wound up by the time it finishes. :D
[/quote]

Well, for those of us who were waiting up to see the fireworks on the telly, it was either Jools or a Queen tribute band. I would have stuck a YouTube video on or something, but then ran the risk of missing the chimes.

Edited by chriswareham

I'm watching it now on the iplayer to see what the fuss is all about. Norman is brill as usual and Wilko is still alive.

What's not to like.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1420155100' post='2646278'] If there's something on telly that you're not enjoying then turning it off (or over) [/quote]

Tried turning it once but it looked stupid with the stand in the air and all my dvd's fell on the floor.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1420156596' post='2646303'] There is no fuss just people expressing an opinion. If any fuss is being made it's by those who seem to like the programme. [/quote]

No problem with opinions. I can't stand Jools Holland though but I like to see bands playing live.

I can live with him if it means I see some live music. I know it was recorded months ago but you get my drift.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1420156844' post='2646306']

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/252320-i-need-more-gigs-so-i-made-a-video"]Cheers! Here's a clip...[/url]
[/quote]

Excellent! Wow man that's a pretty healthy visual C.V. you have there (I love that hundred mile an hour version of The Rock Island Line!) :) Great footage, I hope it keeps your phone ringing - sure it will. Nice work chap! :) \m/

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1420148706' post='2646193']There's always somone taking huge offence at professional musicians playing live on TV for the entertainment of others.
[/quote]

Who on earth 'took offence'?
what is it with the hyperbole of people getting so upset if someone says that something is not as good as it could be? Is there some rule that some things are so sacrosanct that they can't be criticised in any way?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1420148706' post='2646193']Every year someone pops up and surprises us and that's always some highs and lows but, overall, I'd rather watch this than the tripe and/or repeats churned out elsewhere.
[/quote]

Yes, as I said, I watch it hoping for something new, which occasionally happens, amongst the established acts you see everywhere, or the old motown stars doing something. Don't you think that that goes for everyone who watched it, who otherwise wouldn't have watched it?

I watch it, luckily it is on late so my wife doesn't have to as she hates it, as you say, there is precious little live music on, which is a shame, as there was a lot more when we had fewer channels, and it was more varied. There is so much music going on in this country, if this is the only music we can have on, maybe we could have a bit more variety.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1420141671' post='2646092']
I remember some years ago Robert Elms on Radio London was always banging on about Joss Stone and what a great soul voice she had and often played tracks from her Soul Sessions cd. To be fair to her it probably was a good effort from one so young but if you've never heard some those TK Records / Chelsea Records of the 70s but i listened a lot to the musicians on that cd like Betty Wright, Benny Latimore, Timmy Thomas, Little Beaver etc in the 70s and when you've heard them with those similar arrangements then Ms Stone's work with them just sounds like a decent karaoke singer trying to recreate that Miami Sound. Pleasant MOR stuff but not soul.
[/quote]

Ironically Betty Wright has produced some of Joss Stones recent work.

The later show can be so good and so bad all within the Sam show.... Reason diversity of genre is what keeps the show credible. Sure, the entire show may not be to the taste of every viewer but allowing jools to showcase these acts will only help broaden ones pallet.

That said, I don't tune into the hootenanny or new year show because they are so predictable old and tired. Every time, ruby turner and that dope with a clock for a head?....?.?.. Wt actual f is that ?
Can't stand jools jumping in on everyone's act with his boogie woogie, its predictable and cringeworthy at times with artists clearly uncomfortable with his showboating....

Live music is great, variety is also great..... Some of the usual faces on the show are really not that good.

Joss stone, karaoke at best. Compare her to Jocelyn brown ..... Now that's soul.
FFS... Check this out.... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWACvG2ISQ

Edited by Wonky2

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1420149461' post='2646209']

I don't think that anyone has taken offence at profession musicians playing live on TV. I just think that it's a tired old formula and well past it's sell by date. Just because professional musicians are on it doesn't automatically mean that it's good to my ears at least.
[/quote]

A group of bands playing live music is a tired old formula? Wow! I can't think of a better formula!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1420157726' post='2646318']
Is there some rule that some things are so sacrosanct that they can't be criticised in any way?
[/quote]

Actually, yes there does appear to be. I thought Wilko Johnson's set was poor all round, but nobody else seems willing to say so publicly. I have nothing against the man (and the fact that he was there at all is a testament to his courage - kudos to him for that); but if it was anybody else people would be crying out for them to do the decent thing and retire.

It's not enough to say his playing has always been a bit iffy - it wasn't as bad in the Feelgood and Blockhead days as it was on the Hootenanny - tuning was way off, timing was all over the place, and whatever his other merits (and with all due respect to his achievements) he's never going to be a frontman.

We watch and enjoy the show every year but accept that it's only one way among many of bringing in the New Year; and that we're not going to enjoy everything we hear on any given show - I hate the celebrity 'interviews' for example, but that's just me.

p.s. I'm also not quite sure who Joss Stone failed to f**k to deserve the opprobrium she's been getting at the hands of some of my fellow Basschatterers. I don't listen to her output on anything like a regular basis, but at times I heard definite hints of Janis Joplin.

Edited by leftybassman392

I can't disagree about Wilko certainly - I thought Norm's BV's were a bit shoddy too. I like Joss Stone's voice very much but can find her delivery a bit 'affected' but that's the opinion of someone who hides at the back!

It does all make me wonder if the monitoring's a bit suspect on this show (it can't be easy to do after all).

I have to say that Dawn French looked incredible.

I think there are two ways to watch the hootenanny, either live as a background thing maybe with friends chatting having nibbles as it's inoffensive and you can keep an eye on the time etc or just watch it on Iplayer or video whatever and scan through it, that's what I did and it was ok. I gave everything a chance for a minute maybe, it either drew me in or I skipped to the next act.

[quote name='scoobystig' timestamp='1420157858' post='2646321']
I confess I didnt watch it

The question I feel that nobody has answered though was

Did anyone have a music stand with them

Running to hide now
[/quote]

Yes! Ellie Goulding used one for Blame it on the Boogie :-)

On the show in general... for me, what it misses is the diversity of the regular show. But then I thought of a parallel with the Proms, where the last night is a bit of a celebratory knees-up that doesn't really give a taste of what's gone before. And if you can't have a knees-up on NYE...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1420122569' post='2645785']Paloma Faith trying to be Tina Turner didn't work for me.[/quote]

I wasn't convinced by her dancing, but Ms Faith and Ms Stone were probably the better parts of the show for me.

BTW, out of idle curiosity, does anyone know who Paloma Faith's bass player was?

Might as well have a rant..
Joss Stone. Just for once I wish she would tie her hair back off her face, stop all that over egging the pudding and just sing it straight like say, Gladys Knight, Aretha et al. She's ok, voice is a bit thin for me but.... I do find her quite unwatchable and even sometimes not always good to listen too. There done.
ps: I wonder what this site would be like if everyone was of the same opinion?

Edited by notable9