Why become a member? ×

Jools' Hoot

Roland Rock

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1420134661' post='2646006']
I'm on my own with Paloma vs Joss then!

I hear Joss as a great singer singing in her natural voice. Paloma to me always sounds like she's putting on an impression of a soul singer!
[/quote]

Ms Faith always sounds like she's got some cake in her mouth when she sings. And that she's sitting in a broken tumble dryer. I do have a bit of a soft spot for Ms Stone though.

I remember some years ago Robert Elms on Radio London was always banging on about Joss Stone and what a great soul voice she had and often played tracks from her Soul Sessions cd. To be fair to her it probably was a good effort from one so young but if you've never heard some those TK Records / Chelsea Records of the 70s but i listened a lot to the musicians on that cd like Betty Wright, Benny Latimore, Timmy Thomas, Little Beaver etc in the 70s and when you've heard them with those similar arrangements then Ms Stone's work with them just sounds like a decent karaoke singer trying to recreate that Miami Sound. Pleasant MOR stuff but not soul.

[media]http://youtu.be/4AnnjA9teI0[/media]

[media]http://youtu.be/85BJHrAFifY[/media]

It's sometimes what you leave out that makes the difference. No warbling or vocal gymnastics as in Ms Stone's cover, just a wonderful soulful delivery by the songs composer Carla Thomas.

Edited by BetaFunk

Does there always have to be a ruthless dissection any time Later/Hootenanny is on the telly? Another way of looking at it is that it's far and away the least cringeworthy countdown to the bells on the television.

I happily watched Hootenanny and at the bells I went outside my front door with a dram of Glenrothes and watched fireworks while being serenaded by the ships in the harbour tooting their horns. A splendid time was had by all.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1420143450' post='2646119']
Does there always have to be a ruthless dissection any time Later/Hootenanny is on the telly?
[/quote]
Yes because it's awful.

Another way of looking at it is that it's far and away the least cringeworthy countdown to the bells on the television.
[/quote]
Cringeworthy is exactly what i'd call it and Father Ted for the 30th time was far better.

I happily watched Hootenanny and at the bells I went outside my front door with a dram of Glenrothes and watched fireworks while being serenaded by the ships in the harbour tooting their horns. A splendid time was had by all.
[/quote]
I happily didn't watch it and i also watched the fireworks outside my house, raised a glass and had a great time. Even without Mr Boogie Woogie and his mates.

Edited by BetaFunk

Don't call joss stone, Ellie goulding, ruby turner or Paloma faith singers on last nights evidence. Glorified shouting, not sincere, not entertaining. Sorry, gets my goat!

Continued watching just drool over swift's guitar and rig.

Does there always have to be a ruthless dissection any time Later/Hootenanny is on the telly? Another way of looking at it is that it's far and away the least cringeworthy countdown to the bells on the television.

[/quote]

I so agree with this. It never ceases to amaze me how many BC'ers seem to revel in having a go at live music on TV. Doesn't seem to matter which genre, channel or programme style. There's always somone taking huge offence at professional musicians playing live on TV for the entertainment of others.

My step-son and I watch it together most years and always enjoy it. Our tastes are incredibly different but there's always some people we both like and some we both think aren't so hot.

Every year someone pops up and surprises us and that's always some highs and lows but, overall, I'd rather watch this than the tripe and/or repeats churned out elsewhere.

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1420148346' post='2646187']

It's a controller for a sub bass platform that Dave stands on.
[/quote]

Jools is fairly tough on stage volumes and quite particular about the way the band is set up live. Dave's cab is invariably firing straight at Jools so he has to be very careful about volume.

He much prefers to hear himself through an amp and cab and likes to feel the bass as well. He has a custom built pad that he stands on which generates a lot of the feel of a big rig thundering away without the volume.

I've tried something similar at MusikMesse and was really surprised at how well it worked. We were listening through headphones whisky standing on the pads and it genuinely felt like we were listening 'live' at far greater volume than we were being fed through the cans :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1420148706' post='2646193']
I so agree with this. It never ceases to amaze me how many BC'ers seem to revel in having a go at live music on TV. Doesn't seem to matter which genre, channel or programme style. There's always somone taking huge offence at professional musicians playing live on TV for the entertainment of others.
[/quote]
I don't think that anyone has taken offence at profession musicians playing live on TV. I just think that it's a tired old formula and well past it's sell by date. Just because professional musicians are on it doesn't automatically mean that it's good to my ears at least.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1420149461' post='2646209']

I don't think that anyone has taken offence at profession musicians playing live on TV. I just think that it's a tired old formula and well past it's sell by date. Just because professional musicians are on it doesn't automatically mean that it's good to my ears at least.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what can be tired about a bunch of bands set up in a room playing live before an audience... What can you change about that formula, other than to add stuff?

The presenter and choice of performers is another thing - FWIW I like the guy.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1420150278' post='2646219']
Wow, so much opprobrium. Are people making you watch it gun to head? There's always the off button you know, or other channels.
[/quote]
It's called having an opinion i think.

This would be a very dull place if we all agreed with each other and liked the same things.

Edited by BetaFunk

I've been a fan of Ruby Turner ever since catching Jools and his R&B Orchestra at the Albert Hall a few years ago. It was a good night all round, but when Ruby let rip I had goosebumps from my cheeks to my toes! You can't argue with that, it eirher happens or it doesn't. I was astonished by her talent :)x

I so agree with this. It never ceases to amaze me how many BC'ers seem to revel in having a go at live music on TV.
[/quote]

I think it gets so much criticism and the threads are so noticeable since it's about the only live music show on TV. Jools was OK as a presenter on the late, lamented Tube back in the 1980s because he didn't have any involvement in the wide ranging selection of music on that show. It was also in an era where independent labels were successful, whereas Later and its offshoots just show us the bland major label manufactured sh*te and has-beens. At least it doesn't have that creepy bearded twunt Bob Harris on it like, but otherwise it's the current version of the Old Grey Whistle Test in its bloated, condescending glory back in the mid 1970s.

Wow. Needed to get that off my chest.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1420151562' post='2646235']
I've been a fan of Ruby Turner ever since catching Jools and his R&B Orchestra at the Albert Hall a few years ago. It was a good night all round, but when Ruby let rip I had goosebumps from my cheeks to my toes! You can't argue with that, it eirher happens or it doesn't. I was astonished by her talent :)x
[/quote]

Ruby is lovely. I've been lucky enough to back her, and she's absolutely dynamite.

My step-son and I watch it together most years and always enjoy it. Our tastes are incredibly different but there's always some people we both like and some we both think aren't so hot.

Every year someone pops up and surprises us and that's always some highs and lows but, overall, I'd rather watch this than the tripe and/or repeats churned out elsewhere.
[/quote]

Well put. We could always go back to the good old days of TOTP and see some classic miming.
As far as live music on TV these days there isn't exactly a huge choice and I'd rather see the kind of variety on hoot than nothing. I also know how to change the channel if I don't like it.
It is a repetitive theme on here whenever a live act is on TV it seems to a slagging. Whats that phrase about supporting live music?
Happy new year :)

Really enjoyed the show. Just watched recording of it and hardly skipped through anything,apart
from Ellie Goulding who is just not to my taste.
Loved William Bell and Boz Scaggs, and thought Ruby Turner was great, along with Joss Stone
and Paloma. The Orchestra were as wonderful as ever too, and must admit I thought Ronnie Spector
did a fine job on some ace tunes.
Sure, there were some 'off' bits here and there, but as stated above it's live music and that's
what it's all about.For me just a shame it's only once a year.

It always tickles me when people slag these sort of shows off. :)

If there's something on telly that you're not enjoying then turning it off (or over) would surely be the sensible thing to do?

Of course, if you're [b]intentionally[/b] looking for something to grizzle about, watching the whole thing in abject misery will do the job nicely.
I'm sure you can get yourselves nice and wound up by the time it finishes. :D

It just doesn't sound like a very healthy option to me. :rolleyes:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1420155100' post='2646278']
It always tickles me when people slag these sort of shows off. :)
[/quote]
You must be in a constant state of being tickled every new years eve then. [quote name='icastle' timestamp='1420155100' post='2646278']
If there's something on telly that you're not enjoying then turning it off (or over) would surely be the sensible thing to do?
[/quote]
If something is awful why not be allowed to express an opinion?

I'm sure you can get yourselves nice and wound up by the time it finishes. :D
[/quote]
More people seem to be wound up simply because others didn't like the show.

It just doesn't sound like a very healthy option to me. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
I'd say that having an opinion instead of saying you liked something you really thought was awful is extremely healthy.

Edited by BetaFunk