Why become a member? ×

Basses In/Basses Out 2014 - And What You've Learned......

spongebob

Out

79 Precision
Status series 3000
Bass Collection SB320

In
Lighter 79 Precision
Sterling Ray 34
Eastwood Classic 4

What have I learned.....No matter what I do to a Jazz bass I don't like them.....The pre-amp in a Musicman Bass makes all the difference and despite being a cheap poorly built bass the Eastwood looks ace, sounds good and is very gigable

In:
Squier VM Fretless Precision
Squier VM Precision V

Out:
Warwick 'The Alien' ABG
Fender American Special Jazz

Qualifications: I sold the fretless neck and replaced it with a VM77Jazz neck.
And I've just this week sold the black blocks and binding Allparts Jazz neck and replaced it with a brand new American Special Jazz neck.
Hopefully, that's it for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, right...

In -
Fender Nate Mendel
Status Kingbass Artist
Status Groove V
Gear4Music acoustic 5 string
Fender Roscoe Beck V
Ibanez BTB676
Dearmond Starfire
Danelectro DC59

Out -
Musicman Stingray Classic
Status Kingbass Artist
Status Groove V
Fender Roscoe Beck V
Ibanez BTB676
Dearmond Starfire

What I've learned?

I am fickle. The Status kingbass and dearmond were ergonomic nightmares for me, set my back troubles off.
The Stingrays pickup is in the wrong place for my fingers.
And the Roscoe Beck was superb, but I just didn't need a 5 string that much.

The Ibanez was a trade I took, and it just wasn't for me; I took it to sell.

And to be honest, I have discovered that there's very few situations a Precision with flats can't cover.

I suspect this year may be much quieter as I've spent all the money from my outs, and my new job isn't paying as well as my old job.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1419878393' post='2643534']
I haven't had any basses in or out this year, though I did build a new neck for my homebuilt five string and put a set of Sadowsky flatwounds on. It's not that I'm particularly non-materialistic or anything like that, just that I don't really have the disposable income to do much about it!
[/quote]

if I had such cool surname, I'd also prefer to build a neck so I can put my logo on it ;)

Out
Gibson Thunderbird NR
Gibson Thunderbird IV

In
Rickenbacker 4003
TC Electronic BH800

What I've learnt?
Always trade up and if you fall out of love with any piece of gear don't keep it because of sentimental reasons. I'd wanted a Rickenbacker for some time and due to continuing back issues, a lightweight head was a priority. Also that a lot of gear isn't necessarily a good thing. All in all though, a decent, albeit, quiet year.

2015? Let's see how things go. In light of the 'lot of gear' comment above, I've been giving some thought to having a big clearout and simply just buying a Lull Jeff Ament. On the amp/cab front, moving on my Hartke enclosures and getting a Barefaced cabinet of some sort might be on the cards. We'll see.

Happy new year everyone.

Edited by NancyJohnson

In

Gibson EB (2014)
Gibson NR Thunderbird
Gibson Midtown Standard

Out

Fender Starcaster
G&L El Toro
G&L Tribute M-2000
G&L Tribute L-2000
Gibson IV

What I have learned

I still really like Gibson basses,
I do not care for short scale basses and as such am unlikely to buy one again,
I miss my G&L basses and may have to acquire another in the future,
Don't crash your car into a wall, writing it off and requiring you to sell basses you like.

Edited by neepheid

Out:
erm nothing!

In:
SFX - X&M (thanks the wife I have no clue how you knew what I wanted for Christmas! :) )
Line 6 - G50
Dr Green - Bearded Lady

What I've learned:
The bearded lady is a lovely sounding fuzz pedal with a really poor ergonomic design. Every time you stamp on the switch you run the risk of changing your settings as the knobs are far to close to the switch. This was solved by building a loop pedal.

Edited by Dave_the_bass

Some of you guys should learn that you forget to remember when enough was enough.

I bought a bass, an amp and a cab. They all sound good but I really didn't [i]need[/i] any of them.

There you go!! I forgot. . . etc

. . . .and I'm still looking for that Bergantino CN112.

Out:
TC RH450
Sansamp PBDDI

In:
TC RH750
Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2
MusicMan Stingray 2eq
Squier VMP

What I've learnt:
That my patience is almost at breaking point with the 2 guitarists in my rock covers band.
That buying a Squier VM P bass was never going to quell the GAS, having owned a USA P previously ( The VM has been used once and been in its case ever since!)
That doing originals can be fun and doesn't have to be the endless slog I remember.
That doing originals is much better for my playing and means I have to get creative instead of just learning somebody else's lines.
That after years of saying I don't like beer, only lager and cider, that beers such as Bath brewery Gem and Bristol Brewing Co Seven are actually fantastic and I should've tried them sooner!

My only gear ins and outs this year have been loading the stuff in and out of the car/venues.

Apart from the Behringer BDI-21 and Hartke Bass Attack, but they don't [i]really[/i] count, do they?

What I have learned: Don't whizz on the electric fence.

Edited by paul_5

In:
2x TKS s112
A Markbass Compressore (which is soon to be moved on)
A 1996 Japanese Precision

Out:
Markbass 2x12

Hopefully soon to be out:
Markbass Little Mark 3 and Compressore

I've learnt that I prefer simplicity. After trying all sorts of pedals, it's just not for me. I've even been using my clip on headstock tuner over my TU-2! I've also gradually gone from an ultra modern tone with my last originals band to a more old school vibe with the current and main functions band. So, a P bass into a decent amp and my modular 2x12 (why did I lug 4x10 and 2x12 cabs around for so long?!) Suits me down to the ground.

Whilst I love Markbass gear, I'm also moving away from it in 2015. The LM3 and Compressore are great, but the time for change has come!

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1419950529' post='2644229']
I've learned this, (my brother passed away from Cancer, he was 49). You have to grab life and enjoy it. You only get one chance.
[/quote]

Really sorry to hea about your Bro. You're spot on though mate.

Out - Fender CIJ '62 RI Jazz bass
Aguilar DB112NT

In - Limelight '64 Precision w/jazz neck
TKS S112 (Black w/Oxblood Grille)

All in all, the happiest I've been with my gear collection in a LONG time (although I'm missing that '62 RI a lot already!). An Ibanez SR605 is next on the cards. Going to string it E-C and switch the pickups for a set of Aguilar super singles and I'll be set. I'm also going to get a Way Huge Havalina fuzz to complete my pedal selection. Not too much to save for this year :-)

Out:
fender jazz american standard 3tsb rwn tsp
status kingbass artist

In and and surprisingly out ??? :
Fender jazz american standard 3tsb rwn tsp - to replace the one i foolishly sold.......

Very recently in:
Fender american vintage reissue seventies hot rod, 3tsb, rwn, tsp

Amp wise :
Ashdown rig out

Mesa walkabout rig in :)

No Change on the Bass front still as listed below.

but I have for the first time been actively trying different strings on different basses, and I believe now that a particular bass and neck construction calls for a particular string tension to work in harmony with, pickup and string material SS or nickle may also play a part here. My M Bass is totaly transformed with Status half wounds. My Shuker loves GHS nickles. So I have learned, its what your bass likes not what you think you like.