Why become a member? ×

Owning a bass thats never gets played.

paulbass

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1414928052' post='2594666']
For anyone who has an active bass that lives under the bed, a quick plea...
Please for God's sake [b]take the battery out[/b] :)
[/quote]
I have three active basses in the loft, where they've been lying untouched for at least three years. I just legged it up there in a panic with screwdriver in hand to remove the batteries...........what a relief to find that I had already done it, presumably when I laid them down (like fine wines in a cellar...not my cellar tho)

The basses are a 79 Stingray, an 89 G&L Asat Bass and an 08 Sandberg California JM4; they've not seen battle since I took up guitar. I couldn't let the Stingray go, as it was my only bass for over 20 years and we did hundreds of gigs together. Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1414950058' post='2594974']
I have a 62 reissue fender jazz fretless (CIJ). First fretless i bought. Used it once or twice then got a five string fretless. So it never gets used. I should sell it really as i can't imagine using it, but its so pretty and my first so can't bring myself to.
[/quote]
Think I might have to sell it! I think I've lost my sons new i pad. Can't find it and I have a horrible feeling I put it on the roof of a car whilst loading. If it's lost I'll be selling the bass to buy him a new one!

A 1989 Warwick Thumb NT. I bought it new in 1990 and it was my main gigging bass for 12 years but was relegated behind a Spector, Stingray and then two Status basses as serious GAS took hold of me. I've been considering selling it lately but keep putting it off due to the thought of how long I was skint after buying it and wanting to make sure I at least get my money back.

A 60's Vox Cougar which was my first bass bought second hand in 1970. It's currently under a friend's bed on the other side of the world but I don't think it would get much use if it was here with me. Sounds like elastic bands strung on a damp cardboard box - but then so do most hollow body basses to my ears.

I have an Aria Pro II SB-1000. I bought it second hand around 85/86 (part chopping a gorgeous 4001 for it!) and it was my only bass for about 10 years. I eventually bought a US Jazz and the Aria hasn't been played since. Several years in the loft didn't do it any favours. A mate of mine has been restoring it for a couple of years (!). I hope to see it soon...

I play as well as gig with all my basses. I usually rotate them and bring 2 to every gig. Although those of you that have seen my pics might say I favor my German Made Hofner Club Bass with Cavern PU spacing. And you'd be right.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1414941798' post='2594877']

Exactly lojo, it`s clear you need a third :D
[/quote]

That might happen yet

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1414957426' post='2595085']

Two ponies doing the same one trick ?
[/quote]

Nah, they cover the whole circus act

Edited by lojo

I sold over half my basses and guitars that I wasn't using in the last 2 years. I've still got far more than I can actually use at any one time. But they all serve different purposes and just because I'm not using them at the moment, I could never rule out the possibility that in 6 months time I'll be doing something entirely different and playing a different bass as a result.

All the instruments I own would get gigged if they were the right one for that gig. Instruments are meant to be used. Just because they cost a lot or are difficult to replace because of their rarity is not a reason IMO to keep them at home. Any gig where I was worried about the security of my gear, I would probably be worried about my personal security.

&--#60;p&--#62;I have six basses used as follows&--#60;/p&--#62;
&--#60;p&--#62; &--#60;/p&--#62;
&--#60;p&--#62;&--#60;span style="font-size: 13.63636302948px;"&--#62;Ibanez SR605  95%&--#60;/span&--#62;&--#60;/p&--#62;
&--#60;p&--#62;&--#60;span style="font-size: 13.63636302948px;"&--#62;Ibanez GWB35 4%&--#60;/span&--#62;&--#60;/p&--#62;
&--#60;p&--#62; &--#60;/p&--#62;
&--#60;p&--#62;&--#60;span style="font-size: 13.63636302948px;"&--#62;Ibanez SR505                             \&--#60;/span&--#62;&--#60;/p&--#62;
&--#60;div&--#62;&--#60;span style="font-size: 14px;"&--#62;Fender Urge Mk1 (US)              |&--#60;/span&--#62;&--#60;/div&--#62;
&--#60;p style="font-size: 13.63636302948px;"&--#62;Fender Urge Mk1 (Mex)                >    1 % between them if that.&--#60;/p&--#62;
&--#60;p style="font-size: 13.63636302948px;"&--#62;Westone Quantum                       |             some haven't been picked up in the last year.&--#60;/p&--#62;
&--#60;div&--#62;Home Build (40 years ago)      /&--#60;/div&--#62;
&--#60;div&--#62; &--#60;/div&--#62;
&--#60;div&--#62;OK, so that's 7!!&--#60;/div&--#62;
&--#60;div&--#62;Since I now play 5 strings all the time I guess the two Urges and the Quantum could go, and the SR605 has replaced the 505 (I prefer the colour) so i guess the 505 could also go.&--#60;/div&--#62;
&--#60;div&--#62;However the USA urge is a beautiful piece of work, so I'd be reluctant to sell it, and nobody would want the home build, so really I could be selling three and keeping four.&--#60;/div&--#62;
&--#60;div&--#62;On the other hand, I quite fancy an acoustic five string around the house to pick up and pluck away at!&--#60;/div&--#62;

EDITED TO ASK: "WTF???"

Edited by Count Bassy

[i][b]What I was trying to say was:[/b][/i]

I have six basses used as follows
Ibanez SR605 95%
Ibanez GWB35 4%

Ibanez SR505
Fender Urge Mk1 (US)
Fender Urge Mk1 (Mex)
[size=3]Westone Quantum[/size]
[size=3]Home Build (40 years ago)[/size]

About 1% between them, if that [size=3](OK, so it's actually seven).[/size][size=4]. S[/size][size=4]ome have not been picked up in the last year.[/size]

Since I now play 5 strings all the time I guess the two Urges and the Quantum could go, and the SR605 has replaced the 505 (I prefer the colour) so i guess the 505 could also go.

However the USA urge is a beautiful piece of work (as is the mex really), so I'd be reluctant to sell it, and nobody would want the home build, so really I could be selling three and keeping four

On the other hand, I quite fancy an acoustic five string around the house to pick up and pluck away at!

My wife tolerates (and even occasionally encourages) my bass guitar habit and she has only one rule (which I agree with) - "instruments are to be played", so if they're not getting a gig, they get sold. To that end, I make sure I play a different bass almost every gig/rehearsal. Fun for me, it's like picking which shirt to wear :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1414948083' post='2594948']
Besides, I'll need it in the future when I'm playing mediocre middle-aged pub dad rock.
[/quote]

Ah so you witnessed your future on Sat night then? ;) make the most of it while you're still young mate!

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1415034858' post='2595918']

Ah so you witnessed your future on Sat night then? ;) make the most of it while you're still young mate!
[/quote]

Haha, you're too modest Kev - any band that creates an atmosphere that results in an ambulance visit has a few decades left in them yet :-D

All my basses get played at gigs though some more than others. It just depends on the gig and what sound I want for the music I'm playing. Not gigging to me is not a good enough reason for selling off a bass. I still get enjoyment playing them at home.

I have found since hanging them up they all get some use at some point, Rays get rotated or taken to the right gig, the Haloween gig was in an art deco 20s themed venue all black and white so the black and white Ray5 did that gig along with the Double bass, practice sessions are a lucky dip, function gigs get the Jazz and a lucky dip Stingray unless it is a shithole then the ClassicRay5 stays on the hanger, I will use it and play it with a pick and plenty of beans but it is a bit pricey for a pub where it stands a chance of going home with someone else, funny thing is most thick heads would take the Fender thinking it is worth more :D

[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141102_103604_zpseb6n54ip.jpg.html"][/url]
Never under the bed, I have a spare hanger too for a later date :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I have a few basses, non are worth a lot but I'd say my Yamaha rbx 260, I love playing it, but I have a cheap p bass that is just in my room that I'll try stuff out on, my Ibanez gets used for gigs and practice, so the Yamaha just stays in its gig bag gathering dust at home!