Why become a member? ×

Owning a bass thats never gets played.

paulbass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415051749' post='2596220']
I have found since hanging them up they all get some use at some point, Rays get rotated or taken to the right gig, the Haloween gig was in an art deco 20s themed venue all black and white so the black and white Ray5 did that gig along with the Double bass, practice sessions are a lucky dip, function gigs get the Jazz and a lucky dip Stingray unless it is a shithole then the ClassicRay5 stays on the hanger, I will use it and play it with a pick and plenty of beans but it is a bit pricey for a pub where it stands a chance of going home with someone else, funny thing is most thick heads would take the Fender thinking it is worth more :D

[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/20141102_103604_zpseb6n54ip.jpg.html"][/url]
Never under the bed, I have a spare hanger too for a later date :)
[/quote]
I would love to have a room where i could hang my basses from, that would be heaven!.....dunno what the missus would say about it though :scratch_one-s_head:
nice collection you have there ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Got an OverWater Progress 6 string fretless that cost over £2.3k - thought I would be a 'big boy' & get thru-neck, without fretlines as I was doing a jazz degree at Leeds College of Music...

Hmmm... 6 String fretless, with no fretlines = dumb idea !! I felt such a lack of confidence with it that it was a piece of wall furniture from 2005 until recently... still undergoing final works.

* Fretline solution :
After thinking 'it's time I tackle this' - got it sorted with fretlines earlier this year, but what a nightmare... :( As I got a thru-neck very few luthiers wanted to touch it as you can't just remove the neck & clamp it in a workbench. Solutions were (1) have someone cut fretlines by hand or (2) plane the fingerboard within a few mm of the body, then fit a new machine cut fingerboard with fretlines which is more accurate

Got Chris May from OverWater to do option 2 which he suggested - was not cheap :( Found out recently 'The Bass Gallery' / Sei Basses would have done this quite a bit cheaper - but given nature of the job & general luthier's feedback, I thought best give it back to the guy who made it to sort out as I don't want it to go wrong.

* Strings :
As it was so expensive to replace fingerboard on a thru-neck, I was then worried about chewing up the fingerboard to the point of needing to replace it... after some research decided to put on D'Addario nickel half-wounds (half way to flatwounds) as they will grind the fingerboard less than standard nickel. I phoned D'Addario in the US for advice who recommended me : [url="http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=191&productname=ENR71_6_Half_Rounds_Bass__Regular_Light__30_130__Long_Scale"]http://www.daddario....130__Long_Scale[/url] (turns out their the same strings that John Patitucci uses on his 6 string electric - so if their good enough for him...). I thought 'great I'm sorted'... or maybe not !!

Had to get a bass tech to file out part of the bridge for the low B string in order to make the string fit, as my OverWater bass bridge only takes tapered strings. :angry: Bass tech ([url="http://alpher.co.uk/"]http://alpher.co.uk/[/url]) did a great job & he's a wicked player as well, which helps when explaining player concerns. Finally I'm sorted... ? Nope I made a mistake... turns out I need the 'super long' scale length D'Addario strings with 38" taper (I did confirm string length in correspondence, but we both measured differently)... & D'Addario don't make 'super long, half-wounds' for 6 string, only a 5 string !! :blink: Short term solution was I could recycle all of my 'long scale strings' with 36" taper except the low B (as it tapered to the nut too early) & bought a single 'super long' low B from Strings Direct... long term solution : buy 5 string 'super long' set & buy the high C single 'super long'... fortunately I don't like changing strings much & the half-wounds give more bottom end which is what I want for playing walking bass lines.

* Other tweaks :
Sorted yet ? Nope !!! Action was a bit low, so having this tweaked as I type... also thought I'd get a ramp made (removable if required as secured with double sided tape) - thought I might as well get one as it's come this far !!

* Lessons learnt - if getting a custom / high end bass made or buying second hand :
1. Thru-neck basses are meant to have great sustain, but certainly more problematic for long term maintenance - I feel like I'm stuck with one type of string that will work due to fingerboard damage fears, fortunately I get on with current strings (lucky I'm open minded to change - but still a bit frustrating). Would probably be less worried if it was not a fretless bass as the frets take the punishment. I'm now converted to bolt-on for fretless for future purchases... it worked for Jaco !! :rolleyes:
2. Make sure the instrument can take un-tapered strings at the bridge... or get the instrument maker to make sure strings like this fit. This should just be standard practise :mellow:
3. Consider not getting a 'super long' scale length (38" string taper) if you want a basic amount of string choice... 'long' scale length (36 1/4" string taper) may be enough to get a non-rattling low B string with good sustain. Janek Gwizdala's bass only has 33" scale & I believe he has a hipshot to drop his low E string to a B (Fodera can make anything possible B) ) [url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/04/25/fodera-announces-janek-gwizdala-signature-imperial-model-bass/"]http://www.notreble....ial-model-bass/[/url] . Have to admit I do like the super long scale of my OverWater though as it forces you to use 'double bass fingering' systems in the lower range, especially when it's got a 6 string surfboard neck - which is good if you play double bass as well / have intention to learn one day.

When I get this bass back after action tweak - it's going to be my main bass as it feels great... it's just a shame it's been such a hassle & a dusty piece of wall furniture in the meantime :unsure: I'm not much of a instrument tech guy / gear geek - I just pick up & play, but have had some positive education from this saga...

PS : One thing I did while getting the bridge filed was fit a hipshot de-tuner on the high C string, so I can change between a high C (so bass is tuned in 4ths) or drop it a semi-tone to a B (so it matches guitar tuning system)... thought it would be good mental exercise to avoid 'pattern playing' & also for playing guitar lines... now I just need to figure out how to play fretless chords in tune like Steve Bailey & resist the urge to smash my instrument up like a rock-star :huh:

Edited by Paul Galbraith

I have recently acquired a Warwick Thumb NT. So I will probably be swapping between that, and my 89 streamer.
So I have a silver series squire jazz, and a Farida fretless that don't get used.
Don't think I'll move the fretless on as it's a lovely bass, and nice to know I have the fretless option to hand.
I could swap the silver series for something, but I wouldn't know what..... Don't think I'd get anything anywhere near as good for the money it's worth

I have a Pawn shop Mustang in a case, under the bed. I had it up for sale but it is just so damm sexy that I don`t know whether to keep it or not.The thing is, I cannot get used to the smaller fret spacing. I much prefer a 34" scale.

So it sits in it`s case, unloved :([size=4] [/size]