Why become a member? ×

1969 Precision......NOT

ash

It just looks "wrong" doesn't it? Yet someone has clearly gone to a lot of bother to fool others - the neck stamps and so on...

A classic example of [i]Caveat Emptor[/i], but I wonder if anyone will be fished in? It's easy for us to say that any "knowing buyer" would be able to spot the problems, but that just isn't quite good enough IMO.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1413802528' post='2581984']
What are the things to look out for?
[/quote]Here's a few 'wrongs' making it NOT a US Fender :angry:
Bridge wrong, should be 5 screws not 7 fixing.
Scratch plate; wrong too fat around controls area, wrong knobs, not a Switchcraft Jack socket, wrong number of fixing screws & in wrong places, tug bar position wrong, no cut out for truss rod access.
Body edge rounding too small, arm rest chamfer wrong angle, upper horn strap button wrong place. Neck plate with serial number wrong. Fingerboard slab wrong & not a decent rosewood, hole in heel near trussrod wrong. Truss rod adjuster wrong. Nut wrong. Headstock shape & decal wrong, string tree wrong. tuners wrong. Spray in neck pocket wrong.
Case wrong, should have Fender label by handle, wrong handle, wrong catches should be 3 not 4.

He says "[font=arial][size=4]The cable channel had to be widened out a little to fit the new larger pots[/size][/font]" wrong, they should have been full size CTS originally, "[font=arial][size=4] been upgraded with new more powerful pots"[/size][/font] utter crap!

For starters!

All IMHO of course ;)

Edited by KiOgon

I'd even question the age. Seeing the wear on the underside of the body; I'd expect more wear to be on the arm rest, not the knee area (if one was sitting).
Other than that it's interesting to find a bass with such hard wear in 1 place, but nothing much anywhere else.... IMHO

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1413827079' post='2582465']
The seller is fully aware that it is a fake by now yet has chosen to leave the listing in place, Ebay are also fully aware it is a fake yet they seem happy to let the listing run...a lawsuit waiting to happen
[/quote]
Probably not a lawsuit, but certainly a claim against Ebay's buyer protection scheme. And in the past they've instructed the buyer to keep the item [i]and[/i] refunded them on counterfeit goods.

If anyone's interested I did a Precision bass timeline for seventies Fenders to make it a bit easier to spot fake or mis-described Precisions on Ebay. It's buried away in the Ebay forum somewhere.

To allow the sale to go ahead is disgraceful - once again I'm amazed at how immoral eBay has become. Despite several reports of foul play this person has been able to sell an obvious fake. Initially I thought the seller was unaware that the instrument was bogus but having been told that the bass was not a real Fender they have chosen to ignore the friendly advice and have gone through with a sale. Surely that constitutes a fraudulent sale?

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1413837098' post='2582665']
To allow the sale to go ahead is disgraceful - once again I'm amazed at how immoral eBay has become. Despite several reports of foul play this person has been able to sell an obvious fake. Initially I thought the seller was unaware that the instrument was bogus but having been told that the bass was not a real Fender they have chosen to ignore the friendly advice and have gone through with a sale. Surely that constitutes a fraudulent sale?
[/quote]

It's quite a weird one. He's got 100% feedback with about 500 transactions, and he seems to be reasonably clued up about basses - taking it to bits and carefully photographing it, but showing exactly the parts that give it away as a fake. It doesn't even look like a Fender, let alone a vintage Fender. If he was a genuine con artist surely he would have at least used a Fender?? But I agree - even if he is genuinely clueless he should have taken the listing down after the 'advice' and relisted as 'sold as seen - i don't know what this is'...

I agree that ebay should have taken down the listing.

What a mess.

I see it finally sold for £995, hopefully not to a Bass chat member, I have posted my disgust on their Trust and safety forum, my wife suggested reporting Ebay to trading standards as they failed to act despite being told it was a fake, but I guess it would have to depend on how many people actually reported it as a fake

I feel for the person who has bought this bass, believing it to be the genuine article
The seller may not have known this bass to be a fake
but subsequent messages should have made him cancel the item, and investigate further, before re-listing

Shame on ebay - and I am not alone in trusting it less and less
It's OK for things like books, maybe CDs etc (even there, I have been sold a pirate copy!)
But for musical instruments, I'd be very very wary of buying this way....

It's great to know that basschat members keep a lookout for such cons,
and thanks again to the OP for pointing this one out
Good on you!

Lets hope the buyer of that fake P bass can get his / her money back.....

Thanks for all the pointers to spot fakes. To be honest, I would have thought twice about this. It's not even close to looking like the real deal. I really feel sorry for the person who has bought this in good faith. I mean it might be someone buying it as a Christmas present for someone. I think too much, but I just hate to see people ripping off others!