Why become a member? ×

1969 Precision......NOT

ash

Either very ignorant or another scammer is born
Despite the odd looking ID stamps, the machine heads and decal are wrong, pickups look too new, backplate plating looks too shiny and wrong and the truss rod has the wrong type of nut. What do you think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-USA-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-COMPLETE-WITH-HARD-CASE/111485049623?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24932%26meid%3D5c7cecd71af0486e84003c249bd5d048%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D10513%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D281469825444

Edited by ash

It looks very shaky to me, the ill fitting nut, the uniform direction of scratching to the neck plate, the incorrect truss rod adjuster etc etc. the whole thing looks like an amateur attempt to defraud, what worries me is the description from a seller with 100% feedback across 1900 transactions, he suggests he knows where it came from and where it has been for 22 years plus, either this is a very early attempt at a dodgy precision copy and the seller and his father were genuinely had over or it is a blatant lie

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1413544450' post='2579316']
In fairness, if his Dad bought it in the early 90s (i.e. pre-Internet) then there was a LOT less information about this sort of stuff out there, and it was far easier to get done, even with a fraud as amateurish as this.
[/quote]

Yes, it could be a copy from that period with some cheeky fake labels and decal. It looks a lot like an Encore or similar, right down to the truss rod adjustment, bridge and tuners. It's weird that the seller points out that the control cavity had to be widened for full-size pots, without knowing that a Fender would have come fitted with them. This suggests a certain lack of knowledge on his part, as any scammer worth his salt wouldn't have mentioned this. So was his dad ripped off, or is it him trying to rip us off?

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1413545159' post='2579332']
So was his dad ripped off, or is it him trying to rip us off?
[/quote]

[Patrick Moore] Well this-is-one-of-those-things-that-we [size=5][i][b]just, don't, know[/b][/i][/size]. [/Patrick Moore]

I messaged the seller, his response is below:

[color=#000080][font=arial,sans-serif][size=3]I passed on your message to my Father who has responded as follows.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif][size=3]“Thanks for your comments. I bought this guitar from a well known and upstanding music shop in Mesa Arizona. I was informed that this was a genuine 1969 Fender Precision bass. It was a long time ago and was given an absolute guarantee it was the genuine article. I did have some paperwork but that disappeared years ago. I do remember questioning the bridge and was told that the previous owner had drilled a couple of extra holes to add strength to the fixing.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif][size=3]The tuners are original as bought as was the neck with its allen key adjustment.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif][size=3]The nut is positioned absolutely correctly but I changed it myself to a black graphite nut as, at the time, I thought it looked better in black.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif][size=3]I have checked the neckplate and serial number with Fender and believe that it is absolutely accurate for a ‘69 USA Precision Bass.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif][size=3]I hope this answers your questions. You are more than welcome to inspect this bass guitar which is located in North Yorkshire.”[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]I think the seller genuinely believes it is the real deal. [/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1413538077' post='2579210']
Very wrong! :angry:

Reported

Edit 2: I have to say they are the nastiest tuners I've ever seen :blink:
[/quote]

They look like they've been battered on by a cooper... :(

Not battered by a copper... but you never know... :D

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1413657897' post='2580679']
Something is amiss here. I wonder can ebay intervene in this kind of situation? This is almost certainly a deliberate forgery, and however the seller came about it - fair or foul - it shouldn't just roll on. I've not sold stuff on ebay so I don't really know how it works.
[/quote]

I believe it has already been reported and Ebay have decided not to pull it, it is pretty clear to any knowing buyer that it is a fake and anyone on here would hopefully put it up to scrutiny from our learned friends as above. Hopefully no one will fall for it and it will remain unsold....but I agree Ebay should be more responsive when they are advised as item is a definite fake

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1413738328' post='2581402']

I believe it has already been reported and Ebay have decided not to pull it, it is pretty clear to any knowing buyer that it is a fake and anyone on here would hopefully put it up to scrutiny from our learned friends as above. Hopefully no one will fall for it and it will remain unsold....but I agree Ebay should be more responsive when they are advised as item is a definite fake
[/quote]
Yes if it was a Rick it wouldn't have stayed up.

I noticed this the other day just thought I would give you all the heads up. I have contacted the seller to inform him its not a 1969 or even a Fender for that matter.

Cheers

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111485049623?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1413802528' post='2581984']
What are the things to look out for?
[/quote]Look out for lying bastards on ebay trying to rip people off :rolleyes: simple <_<

EDIT: BTW this should be in the ebay forum - with the other thread - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247362-1969-precisionnot/

Edited by KiOgon

Thanks I couldn't find the ebay forum.

Things to look out for:

The headstock is the wrong shape

Decal is in the wrong position

Machineheads are wrong with no visible signs of where the old, larger Fender ones were

Position markers look like pearl

Bridge has seven screws (Fenders have five)

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1413738328' post='2581402']
......Hopefully no one will fall for it and it will remain unsold....but I agree Ebay should be more responsive when they are advised as item is a definite fake
[/quote]

This is one reason I don't like using ebay for musical instruments
You could get scammed, and it seems like they don't care
otherwise they'd remove it!

As the above poster says - if it was a Rick copy, it'd be pulled off ebay straight away
They are more in fear of legal action, than a buyer being ripped off