Why become a member? ×

Do the big name acts make cock-ups like us mortals?

leschirons

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1412512341' post='2569441']
as this is a bass forum, i'm suprised no-one has mentioned Trevor Boulder and the bass line to Jean Genie.
[/quote]

Hey, what about Trevor Boulder and the bass line to Jean Genie?? What a balls-up!!

I quite like it actually. This is from a time when a lot of music was recorded live with minimal overdubs and if someone made a mistake you either lumped it or did it again. I'd say in that particular case it may have been the wrong call! :)

I'd rather hear a few honest mistakes and get the feel and vibe of real playing than listen to the pristine, mistake-free mediocrity of a highly-produced, programmed track that's had the life Pro-Tooled out of it.

Edited by discreet

I was reading through this topic and limbering up to mention Jean Genie before I read the last two posts! :lol: And that wasn't even a live performance of course.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1412466424' post='2569187']
Nothing wrong with mistakes! In fact, I long for the "good ol' days" when you could hear a guitarist [i]not quite[/i] making the phrase, or a vocalist [i]not quite[/i] hitting the note, the odd dodgy drum fill... that's what made music exciting - the feeling that you were getting a performance... something unique!

Played with The Eagles earlier this year - I was looking forward to seeing and hearing the legends. They came on stage and sounded awesome, guitars, voices, the whole thing sounded perfect... in fact, a little too perfect! Later in the evening I was told by "someone in the know" virtually all the show was "playback"!.. very sad!
[/quote]

I entirely agree with the 'performance' thing but that story about the Eagles is very, very disapointing. What is the point of that? :(

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1412513677' post='2569463']
...that story about the Eagles is very, very disappointing. What is the point of that? :(
[/quote]

I could be wrong, but I can imagine Eagles fans pay to hear the songs as they are recorded and would be put out if this were not the case... I always thought they were a bit middle-of-the-road to be brutally honest... when 'Hotel California' was in the charts we had nothing but disdain for Eagles fans. Mind you, I was listening to prog-rock at the time so I'm not really in a position to judge... :D

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1412511541' post='2569437']
In the seventies, Daniel Wayenberg, famous Dutch pianist, made a major cock-up when performing Johns Cage's piece 4'33" in a tiny French village.

Wayenberg and his team drove this large truck/van/lorry into the village centre, unloaded a concert grand and tuned it meticulously before Wayenberg sat down and performed the piece for the villagers, who of course had had ample time to come and see this marvel - seeing as the tuning took some time.

However, the egg timer used by mr. Wayenberg was not that dependable and it rang too early, and so the piece only lasted 3'57" before the concert grand was loaded in the truck again and the musician and his team made a hasty retreat, leaving a bunch of flabbergasted villagers who, as can be imagined, had never heard so short a version before.

...and as you can imagine, mr. Wayenberg's hat after this cock-up contained the royal sum of 0'00".
[/quote]

:D

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1412516884' post='2569498']
I recall seeing Duff McKagan horribly screw up the intro to sweet child O' mine in Paris on video, he knew it too.
[/quote]

Thank god for that. I feel much better. I fluffed it recently at a gig and had to stop. Started on the wrong note and never recovered. :blush:

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1412521251' post='2569536']
what happened? It won't play for me
[/quote]

I'm not sure to be honest. The band was not tight, and the bass player had a terribly badly tuned bass whilst seeming oblivious to this fact. So maybe something was very wrong in the monitoring, Idunno.
At any rate, at some point the accompaniment stopped (I suspect Cee Lo Green gave them a sign), and he started expressing how frustrated he was and how bad this was. The bass player then tried to tune the bass, but with the next song it was roughly the same again: some notes (maybe the A string?) being too high.

Frustration all around.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1412522030' post='2569543']

Thank god for that. I feel much better. I fluffed it recently at a gig and had to stop. Started on the wrong note and never recovered. :blush:
[/quote]

After seeing the Slash howler, I think I now need to publish an open apology to every guitarist I've ever played with as they've all tripped up on this one at some point and I've been ready to give them "the look"

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1412521251' post='2569536']
what happened? It won't play for me
[/quote]

It is Cee Lo Green at Coachella, it's just bizarre. Servere tuning issues or just out of key, I don't know.
I feel bad for them, watching it. Green himself even says, into his mic, 'sh*t sounds terrible'.

Edited by M@23

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1412514003' post='2569467']
I could be wrong, but I can imagine Eagles fans pay to hear the songs as they are recorded and would be put out if this were not the case... :D
[/quote]
You may well be right, and I'm prepared to accept that I [b]may[/b] be in the minority... But, I have a personal dislike of being hoodwinked - I don't like being sold (if I were a ticket buying punter) something that it is not, and the word "integrity" comes to mind.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t_1blRfFIU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t_1blRfFIU[/url]

Loved Clapton's playing on this, despite howler around 6mins 5 secs. His playing then seemed more 'risky',
but somehow sounded great even when missing the mark - or was it intentional?!!

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1412526024' post='2569583']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg8-2mWfExI[/media]

And this is another beaut- around 2mins 2secs. Tuning issues with bass as well as guitar too.
[/quote]

I think that was the first album I bought. Brought a tear to the eye to hear it again complete with the mistakes of a real live performance.

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1412524213' post='2569563']
You may well be right, and I'm prepared to accept that I [b]may[/b] be in the minority... But, I have a personal dislike of being hoodwinked - I don't like being sold (if I were a ticket buying punter) something that it is not, and the word "integrity" comes to mind.
[/quote]

No, I absolutely agree. I hate miming and bloody 'personal appearances' or any sort of karaoke-style crap posing as 'live' music. I was in The Gambia a few years ago and the hotel entertainment consisted of a really fantastic live band playing indigenous African music on traditional instruments (which everyone ignored) and a really crap bit where members of the staff mimed very badly to Motown hits (the crowd went totally ballistic). So there you have it. :(

Edited by discreet

One that sticks in my mind is ELP on Karn Evil 9 (first impression) at 3 minutes in, where Carl Palmer gets a bit excited in a drum breakdown and speeds up, then it all crunches back in to time when L and E come back in. Didn't they listen back to it and think eew?

I don't think I've been to a gig without some form of mistake,my favourite being Siouxsie and the Banshee's Steve Severin falling flat on his arse halfway through a number and the Damned's drummer Rat Scabies ballsing up so badly he had a strop and kicked his drumkit over. I think the difference between the famous people and us mortals making mistakes is they usually deal with them more professionally. Usually....

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1412467314' post='2569192']
Saw Chris squire fall flat on his face during his solo spot on a Yes tour in Cardiff a while ago. :)
[/quote]

I was there too. I was impressed how he managed to land face first without letting his Ric hit the deck. And quite sweet how Rick Wakeman put his arm around just after to help him off stage.